Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Cancer

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Lecturer

Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default Pomegranate vs. Prostate Cancer

Quote:
Ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract inhibits angiogenesis in prostate cancer in vitro and in vivo.

Sartippour MR, Seeram NP, Rao JY, Moro A, Harris DM, Henning SM, Firouzi A, Rettig MB, Aronson WJ, Pantuck AJ, Heber D.

Center for Human Nutrition, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1742, USA.

Angiogenesis is critical to tumor growth and is stimulated by tissue hypoxia due to poor oxygen delivery. In turn, cellular hypoxia leads to angiogenesis via the induction of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha (HIF-1alpha) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) at a cellular level.

Pomegranate juice and extracts, which are rich sources of ellagitannins, have been shown to have chemopreventive potential against prostate cancer, but there have been no studies on the effects of an ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract on angiogenesis.

Human prostate cancer cells (LNCaP) and human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC) were incubated with a pomegranate extract standardized to ellagitannin content (POMx), under normoxic and hypoxic conditions in vitro.

Human prostate cancer cells (LAPC4) were injected subcutaneously into severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) mice and the effects of oral administration of POMx on tumor growth, microvessel density, and HIF-1alpha and VEGF expression were determined after 4 weeks of treatment.

POMx inhibited the proliferation of LNCaP and HUVEC cells significantly under both normoxic and hypoxic conditions. HIF-1alpha and VEGF protein levels were also reduced by POMx under hypoxic conditions.

POMx decreased prostate cancer xenograft size, tumor vessel density, VEGF peptide levels and HIF-1alpha expression after 4 weeks of treatment in SCID mice.

These results demonstrate that an ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract can inhibit tumor-associated angiogenesis as one of several potential mechanisms for slowing the growth of prostate cancer in chemopreventive applications.

Further studies in humans are needed to confirm that angiogenesis can be inhibited by an ellagitannin-rich pomegranate extract administered orally as a dietary supplement.

PMID: 18202771 [PubMed - in process]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Last edited by Harry Hirsute; 01-31-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Enlightener

scorpiotiger will become famous soon enough

have you ever eaten pomegranate?I like to try "weird fruits/vegetables" regularly. I will see something on sale, and say... wonder what that is.. think I will try it. and I usually ask the guy there how to fix it, seed it, cook it, whatever... I've learned a lot from the people working produce. you would be surprised how much they know (do they sit in the back on slow days and sample the goods? )

so, I saw a pomegranate, had never tried it, so.. I decided to. I took one, walked up to the young man working there, and asked "now.. how do you eat this? can you eat it as is.. I assume you need to skin it.. and how do you get rid of the seeds?

He looked at me like I was crazy when I said the sentence about deseeding it.. and I when I realized he spoke very little English, I figured he didn't understand the questions.

but.. I got home, and after opening it up.. scooping out some (and thank god not all) of the seeds and tasting what I thought was the flesh.. I looked it up.

and realized why that guy thought I was nuts. A crazy gringo.

this is a pomegranate:

it is the seeds and the delicious red jellylike covering around each seed that you eat! you don't eat that white outer stuff .. kind of bitter.

do not dress up before eating this. unless you dress in red!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomegranate
Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Lecturer

I've never actually prepared and eaten a fresh pomegranate. I've tried the juice, the concentrate, the seeds in a salad and dessert, and pomegranate extracts (in capsules and powders).

I kind of think of fresh pomegranates being much like fresh coconuts or fresh pasta ... healthy (well, maybe not the pasta), delicious and a pain in the keester to prepare.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Enlightener

actually.. it isn't that bad.

Here are my instructions for eating a pomegranate:

materials:
  • sink
  • cutting board
  • knife
  • spoon
  • sink
  • either an old shirt, or something you want to tie die with red splatters.
instructions:
  1. put pomegranate on cutting board.
  2. cut in half with knife
  3. put one of the halves in the sink.
  4. lean over sink (important!!)
  5. dip spoon into seeds.
  6. put spoon in mouth. (stay leaning over sink - important!!)
  7. you can either crunch
  8. or.. you can suck the seeds (you will eat the gel around the seeds), and spit the seeds out (messy.. but delicious)
  9. when finished with 1st half, switch with other half.
  10. when finished with 2nd half, put down spoon, and wash hands
  11. wash face (unless you find the red lips (and sometimes surrounding area) attractive.
  12. take off shirt and put in wash
  13. put on new shirt
  14. put pomegranate remains in compost
  15. done!!!
this is best eaten alone, or perhaps with someone that you want to break up with, but just don't have the guts to do it. After watching you eat this.. they might leave without any confrontation or tears.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiotiger View Post
actually.. it isn't that bad.

Here are my instructions for eating a pomegranate:

materials:
  • sink
  • cutting board
  • knife
  • spoon
  • sink
  • either an old shirt, or something you want to tie die with red splatters.
this is best eaten alone, or perhaps with someone that you want to break up with, but just don't have the guts to do it. After watching you eat this.. they might leave without any confrontation or tears.

You're seeing the glass half-empty.

No clothes ... no need to worry about red splatters.

No clothes ... no need to worry about looking funny eating pomegranates (together).

The glass is now half-full.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Enlightener

yes.. a new, much more positive, point of view!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Enlightener

Iggy Dalrymple will become famous soon enough

I posted this earlier but you may have missed it. I now use the uTube way. It works pretty well, but not quite as easy as in the video. I add the seeds to my yogurt. I bought a rubber mallet in the automotive section at WalMart.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Enlightener

you know.. i just watched 3 Pomegranate videos.

I think my method would make a much more interesting video

(and.. MC's variation.. even more interesting!! )
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.