� #1
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Explorer
bipolarmom is on a distinguished road
Default Canadian Insurance?

I'm not under insurance through work and I would really like to get health insurance for my family. Especially now with a baby on the way. My partner can get it through work, but he would rather go through an insurance company.. So we are going to look for something relatively affordable. I just need something that will cover a decent amount of the costs of naturopath doctors, massage therapy, and therapy. Anyone know any good options?

I see SunLife will cover the whole family for $180/month. That's okay, if that's the best choice. They cover up to $300/year per practitioner. Cheaper would be nice, but we can probably manage if this is the best option.
� #2
Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

That sounds reasonable. My husband and I pay $700+ per month for coverage through Kaiser in the USA. No massage or naturopaths included, just regular doctors and usual medical treatment.
� #3
Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Explorer
bipolarmom is on a distinguished road

Wow. Okay. We should definitely be able to afford the $180/month anyway, and it's so worth the naturopath doctor, massage therapy, and psychologist visits!
� #4
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Observer
David2010 is on a distinguished road

This post is kind of old, but it comes up in searches, so I will add a few suggestions; hopefully, turn this thread into a resource for future use.

Sunlife is a big one, as you have already mentioned. But it seems geared more towards larger companies and group benefits. When I was with a large employer (about 200 employees), Sunlife was the company that supplied the extended health and medical benefits. They gave us three packages of options from which to choose. We had the option for a LOT of coverage.

Sun Life Extended Medical Insurance
https://www.sunlife.ca/

Blue Cross seems popular among smaller companies. Their premiums are pretty low, and they have a deductible. I have been with two companies that used Blue Cross and I always seemed to pay the first X dollars before the plan kicked in and paid the balance. But for individuals, their rates are among the lowest.

Blue Cross
https://www.bluecross.ca/

I am now with an employer that uses Green Shield. I do not know how their rates compare to others', but their coverage is more complete than Blue Cross (perhaps my employer selected a plan that was more generous with benefits?).

Green Shield
https://www.greenshield.ca/

If I learn of more plans, I will try to remember to add them to this thread, for the added info.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.