Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Enlightener

jbo is on a distinguished road
Default Herbal Remedy blamed for high cancer rate

"The ancient herb has been touted around the world for thousands of years for everything from gout to childbirth, but scientists now know it carries serious risks of causing kidney disease and urinary cancers."

All the herbs I take I always said well they have been using it for thousands of years. Maybe that's not great justification

http://news.yahoo.com/herbal-remedy-...204239835.html
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Looks like they've been reporting those findings since the mid 1990s, with any Chinese herbs that used the particular plant which contains, aristolochic acid. I've never taken the herb Birthwort, and it's not mentioned in my old herb book. Seems like it was mainly a problem in weight loss remedies also.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

OK, so one out a hundred herbs had bad side effects. You can bet the AMA and big phrama will say it means all herbs are bad
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

The only 'problems' I've heard of over the years with herbal medicine is down to Chinese medicine. I maintain the Western herbal tradition that we here follow is perfectly safe. The two strands of British herbalism date back to the times of the ancient Druids (pre-Roman) and 'monastic' period from 800 years or so ago. That's quite a documented pedigree. I've total confidence in it.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Lecturer

Mad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura about

I saw that article too and the first thought I had was I wonder how many hours of research went into its determining that this drug or any drug could have an undesirable side effect?
And what is so special about this drug that we need to be warned about it?
The fact that it is not prescribed by conventional medicine certainly wouldn’t have been a consideration, would it?

Tags
chinese, herbs
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.