Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Cancer

Old 05-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Lecturer

liverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really nice
Default Apigenin Inhibits Prostate Cancer Growth

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/mar2006_itn_01.htm

Quote:

Apigenin Inhibits Prostate Cancer Growth

Apigenin, a dietary flavonoid commonly found in celery, parsley, garlic, bell peppers, and and guava, inhibits prostate cancer cell growth, according to a recent report.* This new finding supports epidemiological evidence linking a diet rich in fruits and vegetables to a reduced risk of prostate cancer.

In this investigation, scientists transplanted an androgen-dependent human prostate cancer cell line into mice bred to serve as a model for tumor growth conditions. A liquid suspension containing either apigenin or placebo was administered to the mice via a gastric tube daily for eight weeks. Prostate cancer cells were inoculated into the mice either two weeks before or two weeks after apigenin administration commenced. Tumor growth was measured twice weekly following transplantation; tumors were then excised and weighed at the study’s end. In parallel experiments, prostate cancer cells were cultured in the presence of apigenin, and cell viability was determined.

Administering apigenin to mice, either before or after inoculation, inhibited the volume of prostate cancer cells in a dose-dependent manner by as much as 59% and 53%, respectively. Together, these results suggest that apigenin partially interferes with the establishment of tumors and slows the growth of established tumors. Similarly, exposure of prostate cancer cells in culture to apigenin for as little as 48 hours resulted in growth inhibition of up to 67%. No adverse effects were associated with apigenin administration.

Nutritional strategies to help avert cancer may be especially important in late-onset, slow-growing tumors such as prostate cancer. Since Americans consume an average of only 13 mg per day of apigenin, or approximately three to four and one-half times less than the lowest comparable dose used in this study, increasing daily apigenin intake may be a prudent dietary strategy for protecting against prostate cancer. —Linda M. Smith, RN

Reference* Shukla S, Mishra A, Fu P, Maclennan GT, Resnick MI, Gupta S. Up-regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 by apigenin leads to growth inhibition and apoptosis of 22Rv1 xenograft in athymic nude mice. FASEB J. 2005 Dec;19(14):2042-44.
Parsley, Spinach,Thyme and Chamomile Tea are good sources of Apigenin for help in prevention of PC. For stronger dosages Swansons sell a 50mg supplement.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU375/ItemDetail

Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Lecturer

just me is on a distinguished road

thanks liverock, I have a friend who was just recently telling me that her husband has been diagnoses with prostate cancer... I posted the info on my facebook for her
Old 06-08-2011, 05:09 AM
Reader

BigAl will become famous soon enoughBigAl will become famous soon enough

On this subject of prostate cancer let me tell you of the kind of luck I've had using mms2 in capsule form. First, my diet is the caveman diet (paliolthic, no grains,no beans and no potatoes). I took six capsules daily, two hours apart, for almost two months, missed probably only six days. The mms2 was rated at 68% calcium hypochlorite.
Results: Over a 60 day period my PSA (prostate specific antigen) dropped from 22.5 to 17.5 which is suppose to mean an improvement.

Tags
apigenin, prostate cancer
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.