Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

� #1
Old 09-18-2010, 02:35 AM
Lecturer
knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about
Default Turmeric and Alzheimer's

"Is there a cure for Alzheimer's disease? Some say yes and this common spice could be the cure..."

https://www.naturalnews.com/029767_tu...lzheimers.html

'Where mercy, love and pity dwell. there God is dwelling too'

https://holy-lance.blogspot.com
� #2
Old 09-18-2010, 04:47 AM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion View Post
"Is there a cure for Alzheimer's disease? Some say yes and this common spice could be the cure..."

https://www.naturalnews.com/029767_tu...lzheimers.html
Curcumin: a novel nutritionally derived ligand of the vitamin D receptor The reason Turmeric is effective in so many condtions is that it is a Vitamin D receptor ligand. That means that it's able to operate many of the the 300 or so switches that are normally operated by vitamin D when present in EFFECTIVE amounts.

One interesting aspect of curcumin is that some people (depending on genetic makeup) we find curcumin is actually MORE effective than Vitamin D
AD patients possess two types of macrophages: a majority has "Type I", which are improved by curcuminoids and vitamin D3; whereas a minority has "Type II" responding positively to vitamin D3 but not to curcuminoids. so it's not a good idea to be short of vitamin D but supplementing with curcumin AS WELL AS with vitamin D3 may also be a good idea.
� #3
Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

If you take your tumeric with a tablespoon of raw virgin coconut oil you will have a speedier response. Coconut oil is showing to reverse some symptoms of Alzheimers and tumeric is better absorbed if taken with coconut oil. They will likely compliment each other nicely.
� #4
Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 AM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Bad news: You need a fair amount of cocuntut oil, like 3-4 tablespoons a day to see results. Good news: cocunut oil tastes great.

KNIGHTOFFALBION: Chicken tikka masala with extra turmeric (and hot peppers of course). Indian food kicks ass!
� #5
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura about

Coconutketones This is the website of Dr Newport whose husband has early onset Alzheimer's.

I use coconut oil as my cooking oil for preparing curries. In fact I use it in place of all cooking oil, for salad oils I use MCT OIL combined with olive oil. MCT is a more refined form of coconut oil and is better at producing ketones, however it is a bit more expensive. Code WAB666 $5 Iherb introductory discount.

The coconut oil is generally cheaper when bought in bulk. I've has a 10kg container from these people but there are other sources in the UK. Worked out about �3.50 a pot. If you are not used to it then do try a smaller pot first. Coconut oil in smaller pots
Though do watch the shipping cost if in the UK.

If you've any Asian grocers or cash and carry merchants you may be able to buy a non organic form that's used as a cooking oil (rather than a health food) You can get that for around �1.50 ~�2.00 a pot.

There may be a difference between Turmeric (the spice) and the form sold in capsules that also contain a standardised extract of curcuminoids. There are also forms that claim a greater level of bioavailability so if you find taking curcumin with coconut oil (or fat containing meal) doesn't provide any noticable change then it may be worth experimenting with one of these more expensive forms.
Thorne Research, Meriva-SR, Meriva Curcumin Phytosome
Doctor's Best, Meriva, Phytosome Curcumins, 500 mg,
Life Extension, Super BIO-Curcumin, 400 mg,
� #6
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 AM
In seaerch of spicy food

Good points Ted. In the US, I buy cocunut oil from iherb.com. At health food strores here it is 50% more. I have been using 50/50 coconut oil/butter when I make cakes and 100% coconut oil for making popcorn.
� #7
Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Reader
BigAl will become famous soon enoughBigAl will become famous soon enough

A doctor diagnosed my sister-in-law as having Alzheimer's. She was quite incoherent. My brother treated her with curcumin from LEF and later with sage leaf also. She was in her eighties. In time my brother said she was 97% well. She then loved driving a lawn mower and their truck but had to regain her memory. From that I now believe Alzheimer's may not be such a boogie man.
� #8
Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Lecturer

But please don't put all your trust in a single strategy. Remember the quote in my first post in this thread

AD patients possess two types of macrophages: a majority has "Type I", which are improved by curcuminoids and vitamin D3; whereas a minority has "Type II" responding positively to vitamin D3 but not to curcuminoids.

There is absolutely no reason why you should not use BOTH effective amounts of vitamin D3 in COMBINATION with Curcumin.

As with vitamin D it may be better if curcumin is taken together with a fat rich meal as there are questions about how much is absorbed.

You may also want to consider these forms that are "claimed" to be better absorbed.
Life Extension, Super BIO-Curcumin,
or maybe
Life Enhancement, NanoCurcuminoids, 100 mg
Introductory code WAB666 saves $5 at IHERB.

Remember that if preparing an Indian curry it is usual to add the spices to the cooking oil and fry for a short while to allow the flavour to develop. It could well be the case that doing this increases the amount absorbed.
� #9
Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 AM
In seaerch of spicy food

Heating the spices in oil extracts hydrophobic compounds from the turmeric. Probably a good idea to get more out of the turmeric.

Tags
alzheimer's disease, curcumin, evco, turmeric, vitamin d3
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.