Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Exercise & Dieting

� #1
Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Herbal Suggestions for Appetite Issues

Herbal Suggestions for Appetite Issues

Appetite Disturbances, either experiencing loss of appetite, or having
difficulty controlling it, several alternative therapies can help. If you
experience a notable change in appetite, you should first consult a physician,
to rule out any illness or nutritional deficiencies. Whether you want to
stimulate your appetite or control it, changing the way you eat may help.

Herbs used in the treatment of appetite disturbances are utilized in many
different ways. Chickweed, Alfalfa, Parsely, Red Clover, Fennel, Hawthorn Berry,
Peppermint, Cinnamon, Slippery Elm, Orange Peel are all wonderful for appetite
control.

Siberian Ginseng, Suma (Maca), Korean Ginseng, Panax Ginseng, Oatstraw, Alfalfa,
Gota Kola, Schizandra, Ginger are all wonderful for appetite stimulant.

Dietary supplements and thermogenesis or "fat-burning herbs" are stimulants that
reduce appetite and speed metabolism. Thermogenesis is the process by which the
body generates heat or energy, by increasing the metabolic rate above normal.
This rise in metabolic rate is referred to as the thermogenic effect,
thermogenic response, or specific dynamic action (SDA). Thermogenesis is
activated by a few different mechanisms, including supplements, nutrition,
exercise, and exposure to cold.

Using single herbs in a tea, tinctures or capsules are all effective in
achieving your goal.

For Appetite Control:

Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Alkalizes and detoxs the body. Can act as a diuretic,
balances hormones, eases inflammation, may lower cholesterol. Must be used in
fresh raw form to provide vitamins. Contains an antifungal agent. Its high
protein and vitamin content make it a good nutritional source. Medicinal uses of
alfalfa include treatment of stomach upset, arthritis, bladder and kidney
problems, boils, appetite control and irregular menstruation.

Red Clover (Trifolium pratense) The flowers of this plant are therapeutically
used as an antispasmodic, expectorant, sedative, and vulnerary. They are valued
for the delicate sweet flavor they impart to herbal teas; and they combine
expecially well with dried rose hips, lemon, and mint. In central Europe, clover
has been used to regulate digestive functions, to improve the appetite, and to
treat liver ailments.

Hawthorn Berry (Fructus Crataegus oxyacantha) is especially popular in a number
of herbal tinctures, herbal combinations and teas. The berries' effects on the
circulatory system have been researched in Europe. Certain chemical constituents
in the berries seem to enhance enzyme metabolism, poor digestion, overweight as
well as oxygen utilization in the heart muscle. The berries should be taken over
a period of time for their full nutritional benefits to be realized. Hawthorn
Berries contain vitamins C and B complex, crataegin, carotene, flavonoids and
sugars.

Slippery Elm (Ulmus Fulva) is commonly used for colds or fevers and to soothe an
irritated digestive system. The 'Slippery' part of Slippery Elm refers to the
texture of the herb. This is because of the large mucilage content of Slippery
Elm, which is also responsible for its wonderful healing and soothing action. In
most herbal literature this is termed a 'demulcent' or an 'emollient' agent,
which means it is a soothing substance. It not only soothes and heals all that
it comes into contact with, but is highly nutritious. Slippery Elm is a
wholesome food for the weak and convalescent, from infants to the elderly.

For Appetite Stimulant:

Gota Kola (Centella asiatica) is commonly used to help protect and repair or
heal the skin, blood and nervous system. It combats stress and improves
reflexes. Antidepressant, improves memory and reduces mental fatigue. The nuts,
roots, and seeds of this herb are used in cardiovascular and circulatory
disorders, fatigue, kidney stones, poor appetite and sleep disorders.

Ginger (Zingiber officinale recen) is used for the prevention and treatment of
various forms of nausea. These include motion sickness, the nausea and vomiting
of pregnancy (morning sickness), and post-surgical nausea. Note: If you are
pregnant or undergoing surgery, do not self-treat with ginger except under
physician supervision. Ginger has been suggested as a treatment for numerous
other conditions, including an appetite stimulant, atherosclerosis, migraine
headaches, rheumatoid arthritis, high cholesterol, burns, ulcers, depression,
impotence, and liver toxicity. Stops cough and stops vomiting. In traditional
Chinese medicine, hot ginger tea taken at the first sign of a cold is believed
to offer the possibility of averting the infection.

Schizandra (Schizandra chinensis) of the family Schizandraceae, is native to
Northern China. As a traditional medicinal herb, Schizandra, called Wu Wei Zi in
China, has been used as an astringent for a treatment for dry cough, asthma,
night sweats, nocturnal seminal emissions and chronic diarrhea. It is also used
traditionally as a tonic for the treatment of chronic fatigue. This adaptogenic
property is said to "stimulate immune defenses, balance body function, normalize
body systems, boost recovery after surgery, protect against radiation,
counteract the effects of sugar, optimize energy in times of stress, increase
stamina, protect against motion sickness, normalize blood sugar and blood
pressure, reduce high cholesterol, shield against infection, improve the health

of the adrenals, energize RNA-DNA molecules to rebuild cells and produces
energy. Studies conducted on Schizandra's effects have noted that the herb has a
stimulating effect in low doses, but this effect disappeared with larger doses.

Andrew Pacholyk, MS., L.Ac
https://www.peacefulmind.com/appetite_disturbance.htm
Therapies for healing
mind, body, spirit
� #2
Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Lecturer
just me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Alkalizes and detoxs the body. Can act as a diuretic,
balances hormones, eases inflammation, may lower cholesterol. Must be used in
fresh raw form to provide vitamins. Contains an antifungal agent. Its high
protein and vitamin content make it a good nutritional source. Medicinal uses of
alfalfa include treatment of stomach upset, arthritis, bladder and kidney
problems, boils, appetite control and irregular menstruation.
so where do you get fresh alfalfa.. I sure could use help with the diuretic part and the balancing of hormones, and the easing of inflammation, and appetite control would be awesome. When I think of alfalfa I think of little rascals, and also isnt that what horses are suppose to eat?
� #3
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by just me View Post
so where do you get fresh alfalfa.. I sure could use help with the diuretic part and the balancing of hormones, and the easing of inflammation, and appetite control would be awesome. When I think of alfalfa I think of little rascals, and also isnt that what horses are suppose to eat?
Hi just me! You make me laugh with the Little Rascals comment, I watched that all the time as a kid. I imagine they would have the fresh Alfalfa at some natural food markets like Sunflower, Whole Foods or Natural Grocers. I've taken the capsules in the past, guess that would be the next best thing. If it's available freeze-dried or liquid tincture that would be even better.
� #4
Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
Default L-Glutamine for Sugar/Carb Cravings

L-Glutamine is known to help fight cravings for sugar and carbs. I have the powdered Now brand that I use now and then when trying to lose weight, seems to work pretty well for craving sweets.

L-Glutamine: The Craving Fighter!

Bill Bailey, Ph.D., MH, ND, CNHP, CTN
(Dr. Bailey can be reached at Traditional Naturopath)

L-Glutamine is an amino acid that is quite prevalent in the body naturally. Sir Hans Krebs, a pioneer in glutamine research, stated once that "most amino acids have multiple functions, but glutamine appears to be the most versatile." Let's look at what L-Glutamine is, and what it does with regard to the body.

"L-Glutamine is an amino acid, and amino acids are small molecules used by the human body to construct proteins. L-Glutamine is part of many of the proteins our bodies produce, including proteins in muscles, immune cells and the protective lining of the intestines.

Under normal circumstances, the body is capable of manufacturing all the L-Glutamine it needs to create these proteins. When the body is under stress from illness or even vigorous exercise, muscle tissue releases L-Glutamine to meet immediate demands in other parts of the body.

Some nutritionists believe that the body's demand for glutamine may exceed its ability to produce it when the body is under stress for a long period of time, as in HIV infection. One study presented at the 1989 world AIDS conference suggested that the glutamine levels in people with AIDS are 30 per cent lower than they are in both HIV-negative people and those who are newly infected."1

Under these circumstances (stress or exercise), supplementing L-Glutamine would therefore be recommended. Stress can also come in many forms. In one of my recent natural health classes, my instructor, Dr. Dennis Frerking said, "There are three forms of stress: structural, emotional or spiritual." Any of these types of stress can deplete the body's nutrients and lead to disease (dis - ease), that is, a lack of "ease" in the body. That can be one definition of disease. And, in fact, many recent studies indicate the importance of stress with relation to disease. Supplementing L-Glutamine can benefit immune response.

"Glutamine is an important component of many of the proteins in human white cells. Ensuring the body has adequate levels of glutamine at its disposal may also help it to maintain its levels of immune cells. One small study of patients who had undergone bone marrow transplants and were being fed intravenously showed higher levels of CD4+ and CD8+ cells during recovery in those given glutamine. Several studies have shown that people recovering from serious illnesses and operations have fewer infections when they're given supplements of glutamine. It is not clear what sort of effect glutamine would have on the immune system of an HIV-positive person."2

This is not to suggest that L-Glutamine is a "cure" for HIV infection. Simply that L-Glutamine helps support the immune system. Therefore, it is beneficial in maintaining good health.

One of the main reasons to consider L-Glutamine supplementation, however, is "closer to the heart" of the low carb dieter! That is, it's ability to relieve symptoms of craving. L-Glutamine appears to act on the brain directly to naturally suppress and relieve cravings.

"Glutamic acid, with the help of vitamin B6 and manganese, is also a precursor of gaba (gamma-aminobutyric acid), an important neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. Glutamic acid helps transport potassium into the spinal fluid and is itself an excitatory neurotransmitter. (gaba,however,is inhibitory.)

Glutamic acid thus has been used in the treatment of fatigue, parkinsonism, schizophrenia, mental retardation, muscular dystrophy, and alcoholism. Supplemented as L-Glutamine, it penetrates the blood-brain barrier and can be used as a brain fuel. Research has shown that L-Glutamine, in a dose of 500 mg. four times daily, decreases the craving for alcohol. This amino acid is now commonly used in alcoholism clinics.

L-Glutamine also seems to reduce the craving for sugar and carbohydrates and so may be helpful for some people in dealing with obesity or sugar abuse. It may also help in the healing of ulcers."3
So we see that L-Glutamine is extremely useful in fighting cravings, especially those related to carbohydrate and sugar! This is a major reason to consider L-Glutamine if you are burdened with uncontrollable desire for carbohydrates. In one study, on a college campus, two groups of students were allowed free access to vending machines with high sugar foods. One group was given L-Glutamine while the other was given a placebo. The placebo group consumed four times as much sweets as the L-Glutamine group.

L-Glutamine has been used, with great success in fighting other types of cravings and addictions. In a controlled study a group of Alcoholics were supplemented with L-Glutamine without their knowledge (L-Glutamine is odorless.) A reduction in alcohol consumption was seen in 77% of the cases.
"The amino acid (protein building block) glutamine appears to blunt the craving for alcohol in human research studies. Take 200 mg glutamine in tablet or capsule form 5 times daily for 6 weeks. If effective, your response should be improvement of sleep, lessened anxiety, and a reduced desire to drink."4

Supplementation with L-Glutamine is recommended to suppress cravings while dieting, or while fighting any uncontrolled urge. L-Glutamine is the "craving fighter!" We have our own Low Carb Nexus� Brand L-Glutamine available HERE!
1and 2 "L-Glutamine" Michael Smith, associate dean of research, The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, January 2000

3 "Staying Healthy with Nutrition, The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine", Elson M. Haas, M.D., Celestial Arts.
4 "The Doctor's Complete Guide to Vitamins and Minerals," Mary Dan Eades, M.D., Dell Publishing Group, May 1994.

https://www.lowcarbnexus.com/articles/lglutamine.html
� #5
Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Lecturer

Has there ever been any studies, or has anyone else ever noticed...Does coffee make you crave carbs (bread)? Is the idea of coffee and biscuts or coffee and toast or coffee and a muffin...just a media push, or is there really some reason why coffee would make you crave carbs...
I got off diet cokes a bit more then two months ago...been switching over on my coffee to where now I have all decaf (dont tell my dil...she hasnt realised it yet) So the other day I decided to eat nothing but fruits and veggies and water... no coffee(not even the decaf)... did that for two days...and I have felt great. no carb cravings, swelling in my feet went down 100 percent, I wasnt hungry, even had alot of energy. This morning the dil had to leave real early after a late nite last night, so I was trying to be nice and made her a pot of coffee (since she thinks its caffiene, it still helps her).... I ended up drinking half the pot after she left... and I cant stop eating carbs... biscuts for breakfast... pizza for lunch... its crazy..Im still hungry... is there something to this...do i really need to give up my coffee????
� #6
Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by just me View Post
Does coffee make you crave carbs (bread)?
Kudos for staying away from the diet cokes just me, that's excellent! It seems that coffee, including decaf can cause those cravings. Here's just one article that's out there.

� #7
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Lecturer

Wow!! After forty years of drinking coffee.... looks like Im gonna have to give that up too! Thanks for the great article K2C
� #8
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

I gave up coffee for 2 years. It did not affect my carb cravings for that duration. I'm back with it. I don't know what I would do without pasta, bread, ice cream, or especially potatoes. Life would not be worth living. I'm not worried for my weight; as I only fluctuate between a range of 5 pounds for many years. However, I do worry about the rest of my health due to high carbs. Cholesterol, heart,...

I might try the l-glutamine approach for a while. So, thanks for that info.

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #9
Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
I gave up coffee for 2 years. It did not affect my carb cravings for that duration. I'm back with it. I don't know what I would do without pasta, bread, ice cream, or especially potatoes. Life would not be worth living. I'm not worried for my weight; as I only fluctuate between a range of 5 pounds for many years. However, I do worry about the rest of my health due to high carbs. Cholesterol, heart,...
I fluctuate more like 15 lbs. up and down. I'm doing pretty good now, but that can change pretty quickly. Yesterday I had some pistaschio-almond ice cream and orange layer cake. I'm not a big bread eater, but I love Yukon Gold potatoes. The only thing I can say, is I do try to eat much smaller portions than years back, which helps.

I like one or two cups of fresh brewed coffee every morning, and I don't think I'll be giving that up very soon.
� #10
Old 07-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

You can make/drink parsley tea to use as a diuretic too. I've used dried
parsley flakes - loose, steeped in water, strain into a cup and drink.
Wooks great. Also asparagus is a diuretic too.

Tags
appetite, control, fat-burning, herbs, stimulant, thermogenesis
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.