Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Colds, Flu & Fever

Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Enlightener

limitme will become famous soon enough

I'm starting to think I do have a deviated septum. Even during the day, one nasal passage is open and the other closed. And before I realized it, after about 2-4 hours, vice versa. But never both at the same time.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

A few drops of Olbas Oil on the pillow (roughly, where your nose will be) will keep the nasal passages clear and help you get a decent night's sleep.
Olbas Oil is great as an inhalant, when needed, during the day.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Observer

Tinamnd is on a distinguished road

Have you tried the breathe right nasal strips people say they work.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Enlightener

d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about

It is normal that one nostril is open the other closed and in time it will reverse. The naturopath doctor would tell you that is part of the balancing system of the body temperature control. If anyone that does not have a problem check they will find that one nostril works harder than the other and in time it will change.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Observer

seano is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if this would be related to the same problem, but I found that when I went for runs I could never take in quite as much air as I wanted to and always felt short of breath despite being in good shape. I tried the breathe right strips and they completely solved my problem! Not the best fashion statement though unfortunately. Eucalyptus oil has be known to help with clearing nasal passages. You could try either steam inhalation (over a pot of water with the addition of the oil), or direct application of 1-2 drops either around the nostril or right over the sinus areas. If you find that the oil is too strong, dilute the oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Reader

larryz has a spectacular aura aboutlarryz has a spectacular aura about

Being a long distance runner, even when I have the impact of running helps open my sinuses at least temporarily. People think I'm crazy to run when I am ill but it really helps me breathe better Plus I can never take a day off. I'm just too addicted.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Observer

Carina Mellbin is on a distinguished road

I may have the solution but be sure to set an appointment with your doctor just to be sure.

When youíre stuffed up, focus on keeping your nasal passages and sinuses moist. Although people sometimes think that dry air might help clear up a runny nose, it actually has the opposite effect. Drying out the membranes will irritate them further.

To keep your nasal passages moist, you can:

Use a humidifier or vaporizer.
Take long showers or breathe in steam from a pot of warm (but not too hot) water.
Drink lots of fluids. This will thin out your mucus, which could help prevent blocked sinuses.
Use a nasal saline spray. Itís salt water, and it will help keep your nasal passages from drying out.
Try a Neti pot, nasal irrigator, or bulb syringe. Use distilled, sterile water or H2O thatís been boiled to make up the irrigation solution. Rinse the irrigation device after each use and let it air dry.
Sit a warm, wet towel on your face. It may relieve discomfort and open your nasal passages.
Prop yourself up. At night, lie on a couple of pillows. Keeping your head elevated may make breathing more comfortable.
Avoid chlorinated pools. They can irritate your nasal passages.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

Might want to give NutriBiotic nasal spray a try. It is NOT the usual stuff you find in the drugstore and is not habit forming! It helps clear your nasal passages and lubricates. Contains Grapefruit Seed Extract. Go to their Nutribiotic.com web site and check out the nasal spray and nasal spray plus. They have other good products too (I've bought them for years) so check them out.

Tags
allergies, blockage, breathing, nasal
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.