Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Reader

Jack Pine Savage is on a distinguished road
Default Flatulence

Lately, I've been bothered with flatulence. Noisy, not smelly.

I know that I can take a supplement to reduce gas, but I'm
really curious to find out what is causing it.

My diet is low-carb, with good supply of fresh veggies/fruit
and yogurt as well as supplements.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Reader

Roxie is on a distinguished road
Default wind

Hi JPS,
I see there have been lots of lookers at your post, but nobody has the guts (groan) to take on this subject. Nothing worse than a really bad pun!

If you are getting older, you may be slowly making less stomach acid and less digestive enzymes. This will cause problems for a healthy eater more than for someone who eats junk. That is because the bigest offenders are beans and legumes, cruciferous veggies, fats, and heavy proteins, esp. beef.

If you already take digestive enzymes with each meal, try taking more with meals that contain those things. If you don't take them yet, try a broad spectrum one and see if that helps. Also, make sure to put a spoonful of lemon juice in your water at meals to help with flagging stomach acid.

If you are young and this is happening, my first suspicion would be lactose intolerance, which can happen even with yogurt that has live cultures (I know this from personal experience), and I would advise supplementing with lactase enzyme to see if that helps.

One other possibility is eating too fast to try and get done and on to other things, and gulping air as a result, not to mention not chewing the food very well. I've been guilty of that one plenty of times.

Good luck with this. I know it can be and painful too,
Roxie

P.S. I forgot to say that some supplements can cause gas too. Some people don't tolerate B Complex well, if it comes from yeast. Almost everyone has some trouble with chlorella. Fish oil can cause problems, but that is usually in the upper GI region, not the lower. You might have to investigate to figure out what it could be.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Observer

Janner is on a distinguished road

And while you are waiting to find out the cause - may I suggest oil of peppermint capsules - taken just before meals - these will dissipate the gasses - less noise!
Janner
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 AM
Lecturer

EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Default Flatulence!

Even drinking a large cup of Peppermint Tea can help.

Adding to Roxie's excellent advice, you might also
consider giving up all meat for a few days to see if
that helps. My mother used to have trouble with green
peppers, and usually cabbage and sauerkraut will do
it to me. Onions can also be a problem for some people,
especially lots of cooked onions.

Does this happen after every meal? Or just after eating
certain foods? Maybe keep a food Diary for awhile?

Good luck and let us know when you find the Culprit
Old 09-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Reader

Default FYI

Hi Early Bird,
The peppermint oil that you and Janner recommended is very good advice. I did not mention it, since I have never tried it myself. I do use peppermint tea for indigestion.

This is just a curious little factoid about green peppers that I learned when studying to be a Naturopath (I did not finish after I found out the practice is a felony in my state).....
Inability to digest green peppers is extremely common in people with blood type A, and is throught to be connected to lower stomach acid production.

I am blood type A, and had this problem all of my life until about a year ago, when I finally got the balance in my gut restored enough to handle peppers. My gut is far from perfect, but I eat green peppers in my salad, twice daily, every day now, with no problems. I only wish I could afford the yellow and red ones, which I like better, and which are much easier to digest.

My latest quirk is that I cannot eat even one egg without becoming uncomfortably bloated and feeling like I need to burp. My mother had the same quirk, but I had escaped it until now. I have no idea what is causing it, and it is annoying, since eggs are such a great food, IMO.

Roxie
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Reader

Interesting advice from all of you. I've added chlorella
to my dailies in the last few weeks. That's just about
when the prob. cropped up. That's my number one
suspect.

Will add enzymes to meals to see if it helps. I always
have them on hand, but forget to take them. I'll let
everyone know how the experiment goes. I'll check
out peppermint caps.

Thanks!

P.S. Green peppers become red peppers if you place
them in a brown paper bag with an apple and leave
them on the counter (out of the sunlight) for a few days.
Same goes for tomatos. Be sure the bag top is closed
tightly, but leave room in the bag for the gasses to
work. It will work w/o the apple, but will take longer.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Reader

Default hints

JPS,
Thanks so much for the hint about turning a green pepper into a red one! I will try it, if I can find a small paper bag.....they just don't give them out these days.

Here is a hint to help with chlorella.....take a digestive enzyme with it to help break it down, and only take the broken cell wall variety (chlorella vulgaris). I could not tolerate it at all, until I added an enzyme with each dose.

The more trouble you have with chlorella, the more toxic you are. If all you are having is gas, you are in better shape than most. I was doubled over in pain with just one capsule at first. (Lyme Disese produces major endotoxins, which is why I take chlorella in the first place). It is a great detoxifier.

Roxie
Old 09-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Reader

Use a large paper bag, like the ones they pack your
groceries in at market. Just fold the top a couple
times and set on counter. The extra room is good
for the fruits.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Lecturer

Default Foods

My mother had No trouble w/peppers until she hit her
mid 70's. Stuffed peppers, roasted potatoes, onions and
carrots, and baked apples was always one of our favorite
meals. One of the first meals i learned to cook as a kid.

However, she loved strawbwrries and tomatoes too.
Almost every year, she would eat too many strawberries
and break out with a rash on her arms and chest.
With too many tomatoes, she'd eventually get canker
sores inside her mouth.

Fortunately, I didn't inherit any of these.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Reader

I've added digestive enzymes for the last few meals
and the noise level is significantly reduced.

I decided to add chlorella because of the potential
detox capabilities it supposedly had and I didn't
want to go with the standard liver flushes, enemas
etc. I felt I was toxic and wanted to try and clear
the problem. I started about three weeks ago.

I started pretty aggressively (6 grams/day) and the
opening salvo caused some concern. I had what
could be described as a panic attack in the middle
of the first night. It took me a little while to figure
out why this should be happening. It lasted for an
hour or so and then subsided. This happened again
a couple of nights later, but has not repeated since.

My knees started to hurt like hell in the middle of
the night. This continues, but is decreasing in pain
level day by day. I figure it is some kind of poison
in the joints or some such thing, that is being removed.

Overall, I'm feeling much better after only three weeks
of chlorella. I'll continue to take it. BTW, it is not a
supplement, but a food. You cannot take too much.
Economics is the only threshhold, plus the initial detox
symptoms.

I looked at several vendors. (there's literally thousands)
They're all the best. They all invented the stuff. Theirs
is special. Only one in the world. Blah, Blah, Blah!

I finally chose WaterShed Wellness Center. Don't ask
me why. Maybe I was tired of reading the baloney
and just wanted to get on with it. So far, so good.

www.watershed.net
Old 09-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Reader

Default chlorella

JPS,
Very glad to hear the enzymes helped.

6 grams of chlorella right off the bat! I am impressed. I am now up to 5 grams per day, but it took about 2 months to get there, and I could not even tolerate 1/2 gram without the enzymes.

I was not only hoping to detox, but to replace my synthetic multi-vitamin and mineral supplement with chlorella. That has not worked. My tongue is now full of cracks, and I am really dragging. I just reordered my vitamins.

I also have panic attacks in my sleep, but they are caused by obstructive sleep apnea, and they get more frequent as the days get shorter, as panic attacks often do. I finally got scared enough by the soaring blood pressure during the attacks to go back to the sleep lab, and am supposed to get fitted with a CPAP machine next week.

It sounds like you are getting some toxins out, and I hope it continues to help you

Roxie
Old 09-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit

nightowl is on a distinguished road

EarlyBird,
Your mother and I had something in common. I broke out in a rash on my chest, only once though, from eating fresh strawberries. I was in my mid-twenties then, and it never happened again. I don't recall that I ate a lot. I always rinse fruit well before eating it but I always wondered if there was pesticide residue that caused it. I lived in Utah then.

I also get canker sores in my mouth from tomatoes! As soon as one sore starts to heal another breaks out. It's hell when you have dentures irritating them more. The Campari tomatoes at Costco are so delicious, but they are my worst offender.

I think the problem is that some fruit is so acid. I just tried a new key lime pie recipe with bottled key lime juice the other day and it came out so sour and strong with lime that I could hardly eat it! Now my mouth is one big sore. My mother said once that she was alergic to oranges, and they always cause me to break out in a cold sweat on my forehead, so it could be that I'm sensative to citrus in general. It didn't help any when I was dumb enough to use a prepared graham cracker crust in an aluminum pan for my pie....I'm very alergic to aluminum!! So, I took chlorella to try and clean out some of these things that are appearantly toxic to me, and after reading this thread, it looks like I'm on the right track.

Does anyone know what I can use to speed up healing of canker sores?

nightowl
Old 09-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Observer

Sharon is on a distinguished road

For those of you getting canker sores from tomatoes...... have you tried low acid tomatoes? My neighbor lady can eat yellow tomatoes since they are lower in acid. Personally I prefer yellow tomatoes over red ones. I usually have to buy the seed and start yellow tomatoes myself, because not many greenhouses sell yellow tomato plants.

When my youngest sister was a baby, she would break out with a rash whenever Mom ate too many strawberries.

My husband is going through a liver detox and he is complaining about his legs and arms aching. JPS, I wonder what sort of poisons hide in the joints? Have you ever been able to "forecast" rainy weather by achy knees? My husband's knees can be pretty acurate most times.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:45 AM
Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit

nightowl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip Sharon. I have seen yellow tomatoes in stores, but not very often. Usually they are the type still on the vine. They never looked as interesting as a big juicy red beefsteak one, but maybe I'd better give them a try.

My husband built big basket planters that he attached all around the railing of our deck years ago and we made our potting soil ourselves. I planted a big hanging red cherry tomato in the middle of one and two little yellow pear tomatoes, one on each side of the red one. The potting soil was perfect (I since lost the recipe!!), the plants were huge and just weighted down with tomatoes. My younger daughter wouldn't eat red tomatoes unless they were in ketchup, but she would sit on the deck and eat the yellow pear ones all day! Both of my daughters loved them and talk about it still. They were the same way with fresh peas and would pick and eat them in the garden, but not cooked. I was usually picking and eating right along with them. I have also grown the Sweet Million little round cherry tomatoes, and they are delicious too.

rosezs
Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Lecturer

Default Flatulence

For anyone suffering from odiferous flatulence, a friend
of mine gives her dogs Yogurt, which stops the smellies. 8)

I don't know if it works for people but a tasty way to
give it a try