Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Enlightener

jbo is on a distinguished road
Default Is Stevia the best sugar alternative?

I've been making steel cut oatmeal on the weekends and the biggest issue is that it's just not sweet enough for my liking. I've been thinking about adding some sugar alternative.

I was looking at honey, agave and stevia and stevia is listed as natural it seems and it's hard for me to find anything negative about it compared to sugar or some of the alternatives.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Standing at the Portal

Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

It is absolutley the best sugar alternative. All the others, even "natural" ones have some issues, usually GI upset if too much is used, if even minor.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Enlightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowwind09 View Post
It is absolutley the best sugar alternative. All the others, even "natural" ones have some issues, usually GI upset if too much is used, if even minor.
Thanks so much
Going to pick some up at costco today and give it a try
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Lecturer

EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up stevia!

The brand of Stevia I like the best is the KAL brand. Vitacost has it for the best price I've found.
I recently bought 2 of the largest size available - about $5 cheaper than my HFStore.
The one I didn't like was called Stivita. It had a horrible taste to it.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Inquisitor

cyber-junkie is on a distinguished road

I have read that all "stevia" products are mixed with fillers, binders, etc because pure stevia is illegal and I don't quite understand...and what is sold to us is not as natural as we are led to believe....What is the truth?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 PM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber-junkie View Post
I have read that all "stevia" products are mixed with fillers, binders, etc because pure stevia is illegal and I don't quite understand...and what is sold to us is not as natural as we are led to believe....What is the truth?

That use to be true, I do not know about now. Just stay the hell away from aspartame and sucrulose.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Enlightener

I have read that the mainstream purevia and truevia aren't as healthy as they should be because of isomaltulose and erythritol. I've tried these two and I don't think they taste as good to be honest, even if they are less healthy. You can probably get them cheaper than other stevia though.

I personally use this stevia, which I think tastes much better and doesn't contain the ingredients that purevia and truevia contain.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW916/ItemDetail

I honestly don't use it often though, so a 5 dollar box probably lasts me half a year. I buy unsweat ice tea and then use one or two packs at most on weekends. I used to drink coffee and so did my wife, which I used to drink it black and she used to add milk and sugar. Now we only drink hot green tea in the morning.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

I’m amazed that no one mentions Lo Han Guo, also called Lo Han Kuo, or simply Lo Han. This particular article I quote part of below stresses the fat-discouraging properties of Lo Han, but it has many other benefits too. I buy it as SlimSweet from Trimedica. If you want to continue to benefit from the dental properties of xylitol too, a combo product is available from Jarrow as Lo Han Sweet. Here’s some basic info on it:
“Most people don't realize that common sweeteners, such as table sugar, honey, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners, are all high-glycemic, which means they elevate insulin and blood sugar (glucose) levels. Elevated insulin and glucose levels encourage the body to store fat and greatly increase your chances of developing serious illnesses. Slim Sweet differs from other sweeteners because it is low-glycemic and does not elevate insulin or blood sugar levels. Slim Sweet also has thermogenic properties, which means that it helps burn stored fats.

"Lo Han is the fruit of Momordica grosvenorii, a plant cultivated in the mountains of southern China. I was amazed to find that Mercola’s site says it comes from Africa! Mogrosides, which are water extracted from the Lo Han fruit, offer a pleasant and sweet taste, without elevating blood sugar. Lo Han Kuo Mogrosides are up to 250x sweeter than sugar.

"SlimSweet tastes great with no chemical aftertaste. Plus, SlimSweet does not significantly elevate triglycerides or cholesterol.”

This is where I purchase it:
http://www.trimedica.com/SlimSweet-B...ductinfo/0300/
It’s available in single packets, a 2.8 oz or 1 lb bottle.

More detailed information regarding Lo Han:
http://www.drugs.com/npp/luo-han-guo.html

An article on the healing properties of Lo Han, including that it does not feed Candida. Other benefits mentioned:
The mongrosides in luohanguo:
Are under investigation as potential tumor inhibitors.
Have antioxidant properties.
May help manage diabetes because of their inhibitory effects on blood sugar levels.
May defend against heart disease.

In addition, teas made from luohanguo are known to:
Relieve throat inflammation or cough.
Cool heat stroke.
Help elimination in the elderly.
Relieve digestive distress.
Read the entire article here: http://bodyecology.com/articles/luo_...ling_fruit.php
Old 06-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Enlightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH View Post
Im amazed that no one mentions Lo Han Guo, also called Lo Han Kuo, or simply Lo Han.
Very interesting as I've never hard of lo han before. I read some reviews and I'm not sure about the taste compared to stevia, but I really like that it is loaded with antioxidants and may have other health benefits besides an alternative to sugar.

I saw the link you posted on the one you purchase, but noticed the number 1 ingredient was crystalline fructose.

It seems to cost more than stevia on average, but having other benefits for health reasons seems like the big advantage. Unless it tastes bad.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

Lo han tastes good, no bitterness as stevia sometimes has. I WAS amazed at the TriMedica having fructose as it doesn't seem to be mentioned on the bottle of the stuff I have, so thank you for point it out! Maybe I need to find another supplier!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Reader

HeavyTZM is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased some Sweet Leaf stevia droppers. It took few uses to get used to it, but it is well worth it. Vanilla is the best flavor, and most versatile. I use the other flavors rarely. I like to add it to plain Greek yogurt and raw cacao concoctions. I have yet to try plain powdered stevia, but my mom adds the NOW brand to her tea and likes it. You can go to Amazon.com and look at the user reviews for different brands, this will give you a good idea of which brands are the best.

As for oatmeal, I have tried the vanilla stevia in it; it was decent. I eat oatmeal everyday and love it. When I first started eating it everyday I to had difficulties with the taste. Let me tell you though, you will grow to love it. I add A LOT of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, raisins or cranberries, and walnuts.

If you want to add a little more sweetness without the calories stevia is definitely the way to go. If you don't mind a few calories, I recommend raw honey or coconut palm sugar. Raw honey is extremely nutritious and something I believe everyone should incorporate into their diet (assuming no blood sugar problems). Coconut palm sugar is harvested from the blossoms on coconut trees. Its low glycemic (35), only 35 calories per tablespoon, and contains nutrients (unlike refined cane sugar). I've also read some stuff about Yacon root syrup or powder as another healthy low glycemic sweetner.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Lovin' life~

Cookie has a spectacular aura aboutCookie has a spectacular aura about

My breakfast during the week consists of a half of a cup of oatmeal with a few drops of local honey & a tsp of coconut oil.
If I don't have a hard boiled egg with it, I'll eliminate the honey & add a half of a scoop of chocolate whey to it.

Never thought of adding pumpkin spice mmmmm
Old 06-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Reader

HeavyTZM is on a distinguished road

We have very similar breakfasts! I also have eggs every morning. After my eggs/oatmeal I have a coconut oil/raw honey/cacao blend of some sort. All of this is eaten about an hour after my morning protein shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
My breakfast during the week consists of a half of a cup of oatmeal with a few drops of local honey & a tsp of coconut oil.
If I don't have a hard boiled egg with it, I'll eliminate the honey & add a half of a scoop of chocolate whey to it.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Guide
Wiki Editor

Marilyn27 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post

I have plain greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate whey for dessert some nights...
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

I found and use a NOW Foods brand of stevia. It comes in single packet. It also contains Chromium (from Chicory Chelavite) to help balance your body's sugar. And contains Inulin (FOS) (from Chicory Root) which is a prebiotic. Just those 3 ingredients silica added as filler and probably to keep it from caking. It comes in single serving packets. I find it a bit too sweet for coffee or tea, but I don't care for much sweet anyway. I just use partial packets sometimes. http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Stevi...110-g/868?at=0

I use honey occasionally. I know it is glucose, so I just use enough to taste.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller

Tags
agave, honey, stevia
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.