#1  
Old 11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Janner Janner is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plymouth - England
Posts: 29
Janner is on a distinguished road
Default Stevia

Earlier this year, I found a source of Stevia in the UK - at last, thought I - I can switch to a safer sweetener!!
The stuff came - I had ordered powder and the liquid options - couldn't wait to try it - tried some on a damp finger - yup - exactly what they said - naturally sweet - no funny aftertaste!!
BUT - the powder is green!! - and very fine - putting it in tea just give you a green scum on top!!!
The liquid is an even darker green - there is no way I am going to disguise it in recipes!!



So - my question is - does anyone know how to use this stuff?? - what does one do with it?
Even better - does anyone know of a crystalline version that will dissolve???
I was SOOO disappointed - it was fairly expensive and it's been sitting in the cupboard since I bought it!!
Janner
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2006, 05:10 AM
EarlyBird EarlyBird is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Northern Ky.
Posts: 2,058
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Default "Green" Stevia!

Hi Janner - I've never heard of Green Stevia here in the
states. Possibly Xania can help you with a source for the
white crystaline type, since she lives in the UK.

I don't think Xania is on as frequently as she used to be,
so perhaps send her a PM message.

Another website you might go to to ask your question
about the Green Stevia, is www.Energiseforlife.com/
It's members are mostly UK and Aussies and may be more
familiar with the Green Stevia.

Good Luck! We all hate to have bought stuff we can't use.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Janner Janner is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plymouth - England
Posts: 29
Janner is on a distinguished road
Default

Thank you - just the knowledge that there really is some crystalline stevia out there will help search for it.
Where I bought this gave no clue that it would be virtually unusable!!
Thanks for your quick reply!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Janner Janner is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plymouth - England
Posts: 29
Janner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janner
Thank you - just the knowledge that there really is some crystalline stevia out there will help search for it.
Where I bought this gave no clue that it would be virtually unusable!!
Thanks for your quick reply!!
Well I haven't found any in the UK - and this may explain why!!!!

Stevia in the UK?
http://www.herbalsupplies.com/health...p?pg=108&grp=2

In the UK it is not possible to buy stevia from shops or other suppliers. The EU have totally banned sales and use of stevia for any purpose. So, in the EU the choice seems to be between the empty calories of sugar and the chemical toxins of aspartame.

Luckily, you can order stevia over the internet from several companies. Ones that will ship to the UK (from the US) include:

www.stevianow.com/steviastore/

www.steviva.com - shipping is charged at cost and delivery is fast.

www.HerbalAdvantage.com - $81 for one pound of 100% pure Stevia extract powder (some companies add Malto-Dextrin - a sugar!). A Special Offer for readers of Alternative HealthZine - Order one pound of Stevia extract powder for $81 and pay no shipping, packaging or insurance! .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Mike Mike is offline
Reader
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 179
Mike is on a distinguished road
Default green stevia

Janner,

It is too bad that you could not use the green stevia. It appears that this is the healthiest and least refined type of stevia (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/stevia.html). If you wind up ordering stevia via the Internet from Now Foods, be sure to know which type you are getting because I believe they sell both white and green stevia.

For sweetening purposes, have you considered using a natural, unrefined sugar like Rapadura which tastes a bit like brown sugar? Or would this make tea taste funny?

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Janner Janner is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plymouth - England
Posts: 29
Janner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Janner,

It is too bad that you could not use the green stevia. It appears that this is the healthiest and least refined type of stevia (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/stevia.html). If you wind up ordering stevia via the Internet from Now Foods, be sure to know which type you are getting because I believe they sell both white and green stevia.

For sweetening purposes, have you considered using a natural, unrefined sugar like Rapadura which tastes a bit like brown sugar? Or would this make tea taste funny?

Mike
I haven't heard of that, Mike - I will investigate this phenomenon!!
The trouble with the green powder is that I can't use it in beverages - because it doesn't blend in - there isn't much I need a sugar for - Tea and sweetning up the fruit we have frozen down from the garden!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Janner Janner is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plymouth - England
Posts: 29
Janner is on a distinguished road
Default

I hope you realise how unfair your post was, Mike :P

In order to find out about Rapadura - I have discovered Rapunzel Chocolates :wink:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Mike Mike is offline
Reader
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 179
Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Rapunzel

Janner,

Thanks for the tip on the Rapunzel chocolate. I checked their site and found that it is even better than the organic chocolate I have been buying here in the states from Trader Joe's markets. Rapunzel is made with Rapadura, as you found out, but the TJ's is not (sigh). I will have to look for it.

You may have read recently that although the antioxidants in dark chocolate have been known for quite some time to protect the heart, they have just discovered that arteries are also protected by virtue of chocolate's ability to prevent too much clotting. God is smiling down on us.

Mike

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Xania's Avatar
Xania Xania is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 942
Xania is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBird
Hi Janner - I've never heard of Green Stevia here in the
states. Possibly Xania can help you with a source for the
white crystaline type, since she lives in the UK.

I don't think Xania is on as frequently as she used to be,
so perhaps send her a PM message.


Another website you might go to to ask your question
about the Green Stevia, is www.Energiseforlife.com/
It's members are mostly UK and Aussies and may be more
familiar with the Green Stevia.

Good Luck! We all hate to have bought stuff we can't use.
I promise that I am here several times a day, Early Bird! It was I who suggested that Janner post her query here. So now we have learned about the dreadful EU once more. Thanks, Janner.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 AM
EarlyBird EarlyBird is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Northern Ky.
Posts: 2,058
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry!

Sorry Xania My error

Janner - Did you try that www.Energiseforlife.com site I
posted to see if anyone there could help you with what to
do with the Green Stevia? They seem to be a helpful bunch.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Janner Janner is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plymouth - England
Posts: 29
Janner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBird
Sorry Xania My error

Janner - Did you try that www.Energiseforlife.com site I
posted to see if anyone there could help you with what to
do with the Green Stevia? They seem to be a helpful bunch.

Earlybird
I have had a good look round - but I can't find any post on Stevia - which heading did you post under??
Janner
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Xania's Avatar
Xania Xania is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 942
Xania is on a distinguished road
Default

Janner, I clicked on "EFL Message Board" - one of the links down the left side. It leadss to a phpBB forum. There, I searched for Stevia and found only two mentions of it being used in lemon water. No discussion of how it's used. Sorry!

But you could ask the question there.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stevia - Soon To Be Mainstream? Harry Hirsute Nutrition 5 12-19-2008 11:53 AM
Coca-Cola has filed 24 patent applications for stevia Iggy Dalrymple Nutrition 10 10-22-2008 10:53 AM
Stevia May Benefit the Immune System Harry Hirsute Nutrition 4 04-18-2008 10:36 PM
Stevia - May Protect DNA Harry Hirsute Nutrition 1 11-30-2007 09:44 PM