Old 06-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Reader

spideyfanman is on a distinguished road
Default My mom... "numb"?

I mentioned a few times that my mom has a mental illness, she thinks everyone is after her and trying to attack her. For example, she thought the people at her job were giving her cancer treatments through the vents.

My mom was recently put into a hospital (psych ward unfortunately). After she came out she was ordered to take abilify. But now she imagines that a part of her vagina was cut by the people in the hospital, and keeps telling my grandmother that she is numb down there. I believe her when she is numb but not the part about being cut. What could make her numb? Abilify? Unless she is lying about it?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

There doesn't seem to be anything in the side effects that relate to that; except there is muscle stiffness in the list only if there is another complication as well.

http://www.medicinenet.com/aripiprazole/page2.htm
SIDE EFFECTS: Some of the most common side effects associated with aripiprazole are anxiety, blurred vision, constipation, cough, headache, insomnia, lightheadedness, nausea, rash, restlessness, runny nose, sleepiness, tremors, vomiting, weakness, and weight gain. As with other anti-psychotics, long-term use of aripiprazole may lead to a potentially irreversible condition called tardive dyskinesia (involuntary movements of the jaw, lips, and tongue). A potentially fatal complex referred to as neuroleptic malignant syndrome has been reported with anti-psychotic drugs, including aripiprazole. Patients who develop this syndrome may have high fevers, muscle rigidity, altered mental status, irregular pulse or blood pressure, rapid heart rate, excessive sweating, and heart arrhythmias.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Lovin' life~

Cookie has a spectacular aura aboutCookie has a spectacular aura about

Spideyfanman,

You certainly have been given a challenging hand! The thing that I admire about you is you're trying to understand, rather than condemn your mom. Mental illness is such a difficult thing to have to deal with as a family member and often times you find yourself feeling guilty for not having the power to make your loved one well. The best thing is not to ever think your mom is lying as her 'symptoms' may be there, just on an elevated level.

I'm a hairdresser/feeder at a 540 bed subacute & rehab center. We have 3 floors of residents ranging from short term (fall & accident recovery), to medium (alcohol & drug rehab), to long term with schizophrenia & alzheimer's. With the latter, many are brought in by loving families who tend to lengthen the time between visits as illnesses progress because they just can't handle the emotional stress...

There are things that could greatly reduce your mom's delusional disorder or paranoia, such as cognitive therapy but it takes consistancy and time, and she has to want to do it. Often times depression is the underlying factor & if that's treated (proper nutrition, fish oil, sunshine, upbeat activities), often times the 'delusional' symptoms are fewer.

Keep searching for answers!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Reader

spideyfanman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Spideyfanman,

You certainly have been given a challenging hand! The thing that I admire about you is you're trying to understand, rather than condemn your mom. Mental illness is such a difficult thing to have to deal with as a family member and often times you find yourself feeling guilty for not having the power to make your loved one well. The best thing is not to ever think your mom is lying as her 'symptoms' may be there, just on an elevated level.

I'm a hairdresser/feeder at a 540 bed subacute & rehab center. We have 3 floors of residents ranging from short term (fall & accident recovery), to medium (alcohol & drug rehab), to long term with schizophrenia & alzheimer's. With the latter, many are brought in by loving families who tend to lengthen the time between visits as illnesses progress because they just can't handle the emotional stress...

There are things that could greatly reduce your mom's delusional disorder or paranoia, such as cognitive therapy but it takes consistancy and time, and she has to want to do it. Often times depression is the underlying factor & if that's treated (proper nutrition, fish oil, sunshine, upbeat activities), often times the 'delusional' symptoms are fewer.

Keep searching for answers!
Yes it is most definitely challenging. And thank you for admiring me. It is just extremely hard to understand some things, but I am trying. Though, for this specific problem, I am still confused about everything. What could cause the numbness if it is really there? And is it even possible to fix her problem of paranoia altogether or that will be the way she is forever?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Lovin' life~

It's so hard to determine what is causing the numbness as there may be an underlying cause that just coincidently reared it's head at the same time she was administered abilify. For instance, does your mom have a history of nerve pain or has she ever had a lower spine injury? Has she ever mentioned lower back disc pressure? Did she hurt her back prior to or while she was in the hospital?
Does she have diabetes? Another possibility is that she may have other female issues going on as well & isn't openly discussing it.

After running a quick search on aripiprazole/abilify & seeing the list under genitourianary, it leaves me open to the possibility that you mom's numbness could be a side effect. Not all side effects are reported so I wouldn't rule it out...
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/abilify-side-effects.html
Scroll down to Genitourinary.

I'll be back to give you my thoughts on your second question.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Lovin' life~

By the way, before I reply & risk the chance it's not somewhat complete, what type of mental illness has your mom been diagonised with having?

She has paranoia. And I'm guessing schizophreania by the meds she was prescribed. Is she also manic or anything else?
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.