Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Bones & Muscles

Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Reader

jaminhealth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaminhealth Send a message via MSN to jaminhealth Send a message via Yahoo to jaminhealth
Default Anyone want to discuss joint replacements?

I live with 3 pretty major complications from hip replacement (Anterior) in 2010 and have been on so many groups and heard so many stories but wonder anyone here. I was 72 at the time.

I live with:
Shorter Leg on replacement side
Nerve Damage
IT Band Damage

The shorter leg saga has led to advanced OA issues in knee...long story and I'm doing ALL to do no knee surgery of any kind.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Reader

Send a message via AIM to jaminhealth Send a message via MSN to jaminhealth Send a message via Yahoo to jaminhealth

The other day I was dropping in at the Hip Replacement group I've gone to over the years and turns out this forum also has a Knee Replacement section. OMG, the stories of so much misery with pain, not bending the knee, drop foot and infection from so many on the TKR group. Makes me feel certain not to do a TKR. Some said they cannot straighten the leg out straight, I can do that now.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

My mother in law broke her hip in her 70s, she refused to go to the hospital and get any surgery to repair it....she just guessed that it was broken. Years later when she was in the hospital for another medical issue, the doctor said that the hip healed very well considering she had no procedures to repair/replace it.

Me, I'm just hoping never to have to get any replacements on my body, lots of good result stories, but also many horror stories of people who regret getting something replaced.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
My mother in law broke her hip in her 70s, she refused to go to the hospital and get any surgery to repair it....she just guessed that it was broken. Years later when she was in the hospital for another medical issue, the doctor said that the hip healed very well considering she had no procedures to repair/replace it.

Me, I'm just hoping never to have to get any replacements on my body, lots of good result stories, but also many horror stories of people who regret getting something replaced.
I gather fractures and some smaller breaks can heal. The knee issues like meniscus I've heard a lot of healings that happen. Some run to do a surgery and often end up worse and looking at knee replacements. jam

I hope you escape replacements too, afterall before the modern medical explosion, there were really no replacement histories...my mother and her sisters made it thru their pretty long lives WITH arthritis but no body cuts which I believe more and more brings on more arthritis. A vicious cycle...I hope Regenerative Medicine continues to bloom and more and more surgeries eliminated...talking about Prolotherapy and PRP and Stem Cells.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:25 AM
Observer

Natalie is on a distinguished road

My mom has arthritis.
Her story began last year when she was in enormous knee pain. She was advised by 3 doctors to do the knee replacement, but I wanted to find an alternative.
For God's sake, we are planning colonization on Mars but medicine still has nothing to offer aside from cutting the knee off?

So, I decided to find a way to avoid her surgery. Mom's condition was qualified as degenerative arthritis. So I ran into the forum (unfortunately I lost the link) where people were in the same situation as my mom was. One of the members told about the corticosteroids and hyaluronic acid injections into the joint. In addition to the knee brace and physical therapy it significantly reduced his knee pain and improved his life. So, I asked him about the clinic where he was treated. He pointed out ARO or Advanced Regenerative Orthopedics.

Has anyone considered these injections as arthritis treatment?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Reader

This is my history and my knee and it started giving me pain and cracking at 57 and I'm 80 very soon.

Had 2 sessions of HA some years apart, they did nothing.

Corstisone injections break down the bone and if they work it's very temporary, but the damage is long term.

New technology is PRP and Stem Cells and I'm still looking at this for my knee as I had the early version in my shoulder 10 yrs ago and got some yrs of pain free relief.

Here is a link for PRP/Stem providers...why not seek one qualified worker and get yur mom a consultation...the consult visit is covered by our insurance....

http://www.getprolo.com/

Or do the big thing like a replacement...it's a hard rehab and I hear good and bad results from many who do these replacements.

Or keep going with knee supports and various ointments like Topricin, Aspercream with lidocaine, Ultra Tiger Balm....

I had hip replacement in 2010 and living with a form of disability from complications of this major surgery...and they are major.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is my history and my knee and it started giving me pain and cracking at 57 and I'm 80 very soon.

Had 2 sessions of HA some years apart, they did nothing.

Corstisone injections break down the bone and if they work it's very temporary, but the damage is long term.

New technology is PRP and Stem Cells and I'm still looking at this for my knee as I had the early version in my shoulder 10 yrs ago and got some yrs of pain free relief.

Here is a link for PRP/Stem providers...why not seek one qualified worker and get yur mom a consultation...the consult visit is covered by our insurance....

Or do the big thing like a replacement...it's a hard rehab and I hear good and bad results from many who do these replacements.

Or keep going with knee supports and various ointments like Topricin, Aspercream with lidocaine, Ultra Tiger Balm....

I had hip replacement in 2010 and living with a form of disability from complications of this major surgery...and they are major.
Thank you for your reply. We have attended a seminar about stem cell treatment 2 days ago, held by a doctor from ARO clinic. My mom believes now that this actually is a way out. The way they explained things it was logical, the treatment seems a logical one to try.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Reader

Just remember once surgery is done, it can't be undone.

Did you consider PRP injections first? If funds are available, this is so logical vs cutting on the body and then lord knows what we end up with.

Funds are holding me back. Lack of.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Reader

I want to mention that I've heard many clinics and chiros etc are coming up with these stem cells that are dead and packaged...the MD I heard on the radio does them and he says he takes a person's stem cells from their bone marrow in their spine and injections them in the joints.

This is becoming a big business and so many trying to get in on it. Live stem cells are important as I understand it.

Again, your mother could do well with PRP, platelets from her blood and injected into the joints.

Check out this link for both PRP and Stem Cells.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:17 AM
Observer

As the doctor in ARO clinic explained, the majority of the cells are obtained from the bone marrow of the patient. The stem cells are derived from the fat present in the bone marrow of the patient. When these cells are injected into the affected area, they can transform into the cells needed for that area. New growth and healing is stimulated by these stem cells when they are injected into the injured area.

So far, my mom has had 3 shots and she says she already feels the results. We didn't get our hopes up for this treatment cuz I read that some people weren't helped, but, fortunately, this therapy is helping my mom, her body doesn't reject the cells.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
As the doctor in ARO clinic explained, the majority of the cells are obtained from the bone marrow of the patient. The stem cells are derived from the fat present in the bone marrow of the patient. When these cells are injected into the affected area, they can transform into the cells needed for that area. New growth and healing is stimulated by these stem cells when they are injected into the injured area.

So far, my mom has had 3 shots and she says she already feels the results. We didn't get our hopes up for this treatment cuz I read that some people weren't helped, but, fortunately, this therapy is helping my mom, her body doesn't reject the cells.
Good news, wonder what she's paying, I know insurance does not cover. Can you mention a ball park figure....can depend too on part of country one resides. j
Old 08-13-2018, 02:46 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good news, wonder what she's paying, I know insurance does not cover. Can you mention a ball park figure....can depend too on part of country one resides. j
In order not to mislead you and everyone else, I will not mention the prices, because it all depends on your specific situation. The doctor prescribes treatment specifically to you, after the consultation and based on the results of your MRI review (which is free of charge in ARO clinic). Because they are in-network physicians, a considerable part of the expenses for the doctorsí visits and prescriptions is covered by insurance, which is very rewarding comparing to the other clinics
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Reader

I have a theory on this work. Prolotherapy has been around for a long time, pushed under the bus for drugs and surgeries. I had dextrose prolo about 10 yrs ago and it's the lowest price kind of Prolo...PRP second highest price and Stem Cells highest.

I had dextrose Prolo in shoulder and got 3 yrs of pain free shoulder.

So I'm thinking just like the drug world, when new drugs come out, they are always higher in price...hence with Prolotherapy work.

So I'm glad your mother is having success but I'm thinking Dextrose could be just as effective...and MUCH less $$$$. I'm pursuing more dextrose and then may go for PRP.

Do you get what I'm saying. I've done a lot of research on this work.

You can google The History of Prolotherapy and find the whole history.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.