Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Reader

DavyKOTWF will become famous soon enough
Default Are Liquid Multis/Minerals Better Than Pill Form?

Are there any pros and cons?

Is either really better?

Question 2: If it says WholeFood, does that make it better? or is that just another buzz word they throw in?
Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I don't know, but I always assumed the liquids were better absorbed in the body, but they were always expensive too, which made me not buy them.

For years now I've been using capsules over tablets, especially since I read that tablets sometimes are eliminated from the body without even being fully dissolved.

I have trouble swallowing any pills lately, so I just open my capsules and add a few other things to an orange juice mixture.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Reader

Haha. GMTA. (great minds think alike) I too have decided to skip the very expensive liquids and just buy the pills/capsules.
Wonder if Superman (forgot his name) knows about the WholeFoods label?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:33 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

I think "wholefood" means that the minerals were sourced from something organic. I think that is a good thing. I'm not really sure it makes a difference. After all, a mineral doesn't change its molecular structure depending upon where it grew up.

I like capsules better than liquid, only because of convenience. I don't know what digestion means, when it comes to minerals and liquid. As soon as you take a mineral, the body produces enzymes and acid to further dissolve it. Vitamins help to move the mineral (metal) into certain body parts. For example, vitamin D controls the use of calcium. Vitamin C controls the use of iron. Stomach acid controls the process as well. So beware of too much alkaline.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 12-22-2017, 07:36 AM
Reader

Thanks JF. So it does seem that it might just be a hot buzz word for marketing.
Albeit they are probably still good.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Observer

galaxy1226 is on a distinguished road

I'm late to the thread, but I personally prefer the liquid supplements. I have a pretty sensitive stomach and the mineral supplements I take are ionic and already broken down- no stomach ache. With pills you have packers and whatever else to break down. From what I have read, about half of the pills are not even absorbed. Liquid, at least the stuff I take (AquaOz), is pre-broken down and water soluble. I mix it in smoothies and such. I take a lot less than I had to before, its a bit more expensive initially but not too bad.

Also, WholeFood is a buzzword for naturally sourced but honestly- its a marketing word. So many people jump at it, its worth it to put it on the product.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:12 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy1226 View Post
I'm late to the thread, but I personally prefer the liquid supplements. I have a pretty sensitive stomach and the mineral supplements I take are ionic and already broken down- no stomach ache.
Welcome, Galaxy. There are a few liquids that I like too. But for me, convenience is necessary. I prefer not to travel with liquid supplements. The administration requires droppers or teaspoons. Even at home, I have a problem with teaspoon measurements. I've had hand tremors since childhood.

I agree with your assessment of ionic forms. That is the best for getting the most benefit. Nearly 100% of the elemental form of the mineral gets to the cells. Also check out Fulvic acid bound forms.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Observer

marisca is on a distinguished road

There is no regulatory definition of Whole Food Supplements, so companies are free to make up their own terms to suit their needs. This lack of clarity has led to a myriad of misleading terms and a confused public.

All supplements, natural or synthetic, involve quite a bit of technology to get measurable amounts of vitamins and minerals into a capsule or tablet, so the term "whole foods" and "natural" remain pretty vague.

The true whole food supplement should provide nutrients for the body as close as possible to how they are found in nature in a mature living plant.

A good supplement should include micro-nutrients that help the body utilize the core compound after absorbing it fully. When chemical supplements are prepared in the industry, the absence of these micro-nutrients decreases the effectiveness, and the balance of nutrients are lost.

Are you supplements well balanced nutrition? Do they contain micro-nutrients? Are they void of synthetic processing, preservatives, sweeteners, and colors? Is there proof that the product delivers results through clinical studies? All of these benefits come with a price for production. Price is irrelevant. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Observer

Happyflowerlady is on a distinguished road

What I have read about taking vitamins (or any kind of supplements) is that you should always take them along with a meal, or at least with some food.
When we eat food, our body knows that it is food, and starts making the digestive enzymes and all of the stuff that goes on in our body to process that food.
If we swallow a vitamin pill or capsule, then our body doesn’t recognize this as food, so it can just pass on through our body (sometimes whole) and we do not get the benefit of the vitamin.
This is why so many vitamins end up in the sewer system totally undisolved.

Taking a liquid or powdered vitamin is probably the best, and you also are taking it with some juice, milk, or some kind of liquid when you drink it; so it has a much better chance of being digested and used as food. If you can’t take your vitamins along with meals, then it is probably worth while to spend the extra money on either liquid or powdered vitamins.
Mine is a mixture. I take the ones that are pills or capsules along with one of my meals, or at least some kind of food. I also have a whey protein drink before we go to the fitness center to exercise, and that has some vitamins and minerals in it, too.

I think that no kind of processed supplement is going to be as good for our body as getting the nutrient from an actual food; so I try to also eat whole, fresh foods, as well as taking my vitamins and minerals.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 AM
perpetual student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
What I have read about taking vitamins (or any kind of supplements) is that you should always take them along with a meal, or at least with some food.
When we eat food, our body knows that it is food, and starts making the digestive enzymes and all of the stuff that goes on in our body to process that food..

I agree, and that's what I practice. Vitamins are coenzymes, meaning that they cannot by themselves catalyze a reaction but they can help enzymes to do so. In my opinion, they help the food to be much better for you. I do sometimes take a B12 vitamin alone. B vitamins are water soluble, so they can wait until they get to the small intestine and still function very well.

Minerals, on the other hand, don't need to work with enzymes. However there are many minerals that can be unpleasant when taken alone. I don't take a magnesium with food, but it is an alkaline mineral and won't upset the stomach. Minerals are essential for the body to produce enzymes.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.