Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

Old 01-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Reader

DavyKOTWF will become famous soon enough
Default Himalayan Salt - a Diuretic??

I read that HS is a diuretic. Lately I've upped my intake of HS, but quickly gained 2-3 lbs. Seems it's NOT a diuretic, but acts like regular sodium, which makes your body retain fluids.

I googled a dozen websites and couldn't find HS being a diuretic again.
I may lower my intake to around 1500mg again and see it the weight goes back down.

Any input?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Reader

I read that regular table salt contains 2300mg of sodium per tsp; whereas Him. Salt contains 1700mg per tsp. Perhaps while it was known that sodium causes water retention and since Him. Salt has 26% lower sodium, it was erroneously thought that Him. Salt is a diuretic?
Maybe this article throws a little light on the subject.
http://www.lifebeginsraw.com/himalay...s_for_you.html
Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

It contains up to 98% sodium chloride (table salt). I treat it as table salt in my 2300 mg per day of salt. I try to go well below that 2300 per day, but it is not easy to determine the amount of sodium in foods such as celery. So that figure is just a benchmark.

It's the other 2% of trace minerals that give Himalayan its health benefit. Calcium, chloride, potassium, iron, magnesium.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Reader

Right! Thanks. So seems it would act just like sodium. Reading my new Himalayan Salt book last night, it mentioned a salt flush. It said that doing a 2 tsp HS with warm water salt flush, would, ironically imho, take care of fluid retention! It would do a reset and balance ones electrolytes. I just did one so we'll see.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Observer

lift.likeadad is on a distinguished road

Sodium reduces aldosterone the hormone that allows the body to retain sodium by retaining body fluids. When Aldosterone gets very high and the bodies sodium is low, aldosterone will actually start to pull sodium from your bones.
If you're retaining water I would actually increase your sodium intake.
Id also recommend reading the book- The Salt Fix by Dr.J ames J. DiNicolantonio.

If you're consuming 4kmg of Na a day I'd look elsewhere in your diet for the water retention.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.