Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Men's Health

Old 01-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Explorer

hopeful is on a distinguished road
Question Questions about hernia in men

Around a week ago I noticed a swelling on one side of my groin above the pubic area. It doesn't hurt at all but I am concerned.

I don't like to go to doctors unless I really have to, but I think this might be a hernia.

Are hernias always painful or can they have no pain? Can the swelling appear overnight? Can you get one even if you haven't lifted anything heavy?

Have you had one and did you get an operation. If you did, how did it turn out, any complications? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Enlightener

D Bergy is a jewel in the roughD Bergy is a jewel in the roughD Bergy is a jewel in the rough

They don't hurt until the guts start pushing through the gap. I had one for a few years and I could feel it but it wasn't painful. Later, as it got worse the guts would get pinched in the muscles and that was extremely painful. I could push the guts back into place although that hurt also. Once back in place there was no pain.

I had to have it fixed in the mid eighties and it has held up to date. I have had a few surgeries and the hernia surgery was not that big a deal. Just need to take it easy for a while afterwards. No lifting for a while.

If you have an actual hernia lump, you may be able to push it back in. But, it will not heal on its own. They only get worse.

Have it checked out. At least you will know what it is.

Good luck

Dan
Old 01-28-2017, 08:19 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Mine was similar to D Bergy and sounds like yours. Mine was a right inguinal hernia and was caused by heavy lifting improperly and while hot and tired. I, like you, checked out all alternatives. This is nothing you can do on your own. You can wear a belt (truss) for a while, but that is only a temporary solution.

This is not something you should delay, if it really is a hernia. This means that a muscle is not able to hold your intestines where they should be. That can be dangerous.

The surgery is done outpatient and does not last long. Anesthesia is required, so prepare for someone to take you to the hospital and bring you home. Your pubic hairs are shaved, a small slice is made, a web is sown over the hernia to keep it in place. You will have a scar for more than a year. At lease, I do after 5 years.

My biggest problem was that I had to take opiate pain med. No option there. I was not able to pull myself out of bed easily the first 2 nights. I had to go to the bathroom and it took me over 15 minutes just to stand up. I figured out that I could roll over enough to swing my legs over the bed. Walking is no problem at all. Getting up from sitting requires that you use your arms to lift yourself out of the chair.

Opiate pain meds make me very constipated. I thought I was going to have to have someone chisel it out.

Absolutely do not try to pull weeds from the garden for at least a week. It is amazing how important those muscles above the groin are.

Really, the solution is easy but expensive depending upon your insurance. Get off of the pain med as soon as you can. Very addicting. Prepare for about 2 days of much less activity, then light activity for about a week.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 01-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Explorer

Thank you very much Dan and Jfh for your replies and advice. I have health insurance and am now on Medicare. As much as I hate to go to the doctor, especially since I'm not in pain, I respect your experience and advice and I will have to seriously think about making an appointment, if I need surgery my wife can take me there and pick me up.

How do they check for sure if it's a hernia or something else like a cancerous tumor? Do I have to go through a complete physical and blood work, or will they know right away if it's a hernia?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm old and am nervous about exams and surgeries. So far I've been lucky and able to avoid them, just a check up every several years at my discretion.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Explorer

A question about the mesh to pouch they might use, did they use that on you guys? Are there any problems or lawsuits for mesh implants? I think I read something bad when they used those things in people and they moved, got infected or the material was faulty.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Mine is a plastic mesh. I think it is plastic. Certainly has to be flexible. I call it a web, but I think the term is mesh. These are questions to ask the doctor. I was on Medicare Advantage at the time. I don't remember the cost, but Advantage (Humana) did not pay all.

The doctor will refer you to a surgeon (urologist), who will be able to tell the difference. I was not in pain either, but I sure knew something was wrong.

There are so many of these surgeries, I'm not surprised there would be some lawsuits and hopeful lawyers. I was fortunate to get an urologist who had done very many of these surgeries over a long career.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Enlightener

D Bergy is a jewel in the roughD Bergy is a jewel in the roughD Bergy is a jewel in the rough

I had mesh also. No problems with it. Lasted thirty some years so far.

I wouldn't be concerned about the procedure. Far more likely you will strangulate your guts and then it's an emergency surgery. These are common fixes and generally don't cause any unexpected problems. Just be sure not to rip it apart by doing something you shouldn't. Once healed, it's business as usual.

Dan
Old 01-30-2017, 09:38 AM
Explorer

Thanks again for sharing your stories with me, very helpful.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:41 AM
Observer

watsonjack is on a distinguished road

Better you consult your doctor for satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
Around a week ago I noticed a swelling on one side of my groin above the pubic area. It doesn't hurt at all but I am concerned.

I don't like to go to doctors unless I really have to, but I think this might be a hernia.

Are hernias always painful or can they have no pain? Can the swelling appear overnight? Can you get one even if you haven't lifted anything heavy?

Have you had one and did you get an operation. If you did, how did it turn out, any complications? Thanks in advance for any input.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.