Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Observer

oldyellr is on a distinguished road
Default Which Turmeic?

First time posting here. I haven't been a fan of "natural medicine" because it's a big black hole to me, rife with scams and placebos because there doesn't appear to be any regulation or standards. That's why I'm skeptical.

Anyway, a few weeks ago a friend mentioned a certain brand of Turmeric Curcumin he was using and the amazing benefits. I suffer from lower back pain, the same as he, so ordered the same thing and started taking it. I honestly can't say whether it helped me or not because I never expected it to work within an hour of taking it like traditional chemical medicines approved by the medical establishment. But when the capsules ran out I bought some for a lot less from Walmart which made no difference for me either way, but weren't really expensive, so what the hell, they can't hurt. When I went to get another batch at Walmart, the ones I bought before were out of stock, so I got another inexpensive brand.

So here is the point of this post. How do you compare one brand of Turmeric Curcumin to another for effectiveness? I search Google and Amazon for the product and see all kinds of results but no way to compare apples to apples and determine value or effectiveness. I see things like equivalent mg of raw herb, but not all brands tell you this. They all quote different parameters. Some results say the product needs to contain black pepper in order to be absorbed. It's the Wind West. It seems that information on what works and how well is all about endorsements and word-of-mouth. Can someone please tell me how to decide on the most effective product for the least money?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 PM
Observer

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I don't know the answer but am looking for a good brand myself as I could use it. I bought some previously and was made nauseated by it. I had to throw it out it made me so ill feeling.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I think this is a good brand of Turmeric, my husband and I have used it in the past. I also want to save money though, and I do use Turmeric daily. https://www.myheartbook.com/

I buy organic ground turmeric root in bulk from the Natural Grocers store, it comes in small baggies and costs around $5 each. I take a small teaspoon full and add a couple of dashes of black pepper to it, then mix it in orange juice along with my other daily supplements.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I don't know the answer but am looking for a good brand myself as I could use it. I bought some previously and was made nauseated by it. I had to throw it out it made me so ill feeling.

Sometimes that will happen when you take too much at first and your body is not used to it. That happened to me when I first started using powdered Chlorella, I cut back to a smaller amount....now I can use as much as I want, usually just a small teaspoon full.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
I buy organic ground turmeric root in bulk from the Natural Grocers store, it comes in small baggies and costs around $5 each. I take a small teaspoon full and add a couple of dashes of black pepper to it, then mix it in orange juice along with my other daily supplements.
We have a store called Bulk Barn where you can buy hundreds of spices, cooking ingredients and condiments. When I suggested buying Turmeric there I was laughed at and told you should only buy it from health food stores. There's a lot of hocus pocus around natural medicines and supplements. No standards, no clinical trials, no proof of effectiveness required, no regulatory body. A lot of salesmanship.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

There's a lot of hocus pocus in pharmaceutical drugs also, skewed "studies" and many are approved to 'test' on the public, then removed from the market once they see serious side effects of those drugs.

There aren't as many trials on supplements, but there is some information out there for those interested. Here's just one example from one website. http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sci...e-as-14-drugs/

I don't see why you would have to buy turmeric from a health store only, unless the spice store did not provide anything that was organic.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Observer

Quote:

There aren't as many trials on supplements, but there is some information out there for those interested. Here's just one example from one website. http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sci...e-as-14-drugs/
Thanks for the link. I also searched for clinical trials and saw similar, but not a lot. What irks me is that not all Turmeric brands describe the strength and similarly so you can't compare apples to apples. Some say what the equivalent amount of raw herb is and some don't. What does that even mean? When I read reviews of various brands I see as many claiming it's ineffective as wonderful.

I hear you about pharmaceuticals. Years ago my doctor prescribed a statin called Crestor for me to lower cholesterol. It crippled me after just a few days and still suffer joint pain as a result. I threw it out and refused to try any similar pills. But I'm seeing reviews of Turmeric saying it made the person sick. Currently I'm taking a Canadian Walmart brand of Turmeric with similar ingredients to more expensive brands. At the very least it's cheap and harmless.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Observer

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sometimes that will happen when you take too much at first and your body is not used to it. That happened to me when I first started using powdered Chlorella, I cut back to a smaller amount....now I can use as much as I want, usually just a small teaspoon full.
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Will check out your link, too.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 AM
perpetual student

jfh has much to be proud ofjfh has much to be proud ofjfh has much to be proud ofjfh has much to be proud ofjfh has much to be proud ofjfh has much to be proud ofjfh has much to be proud ofjfh has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
That's commonly referred to as Herxheimer reaction. It is well known in the medical world as well as natural med world. The problem is that the liver cannot handle such a load as microbial "die-off". Too much. Too fast. You've probably heard a med doctor say it will get worse before it gets better.

https://www.holtorfmed.com/what-is-a...i-do-about-it/

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller