Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Women's Health

Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Observer

davecross2321 is on a distinguished road
Default Herbal Remedies for Menstrual Cramps.

Hey everyone I wanted to share a small story about menstrual cramps with you and a few natural remedies I found that claim to ease symptoms naturally.

I used to sit by a bathtub late at night, a few nights a month, my ex-wife curled into a ball inside it. She’s one of the toughest people I know; it was hard to see her that way. She suffers from severe menstrual cramps.

It’s important I come clean right away about this post: I know nothing about this and cant even imagine the pain but I have seen it have a profound effect on people I love.

In the years after my divorce I had trouble sleeping but have always been apprehensive towards harsh pills or heavy medication. I began considering natural medicines at local herb stores and found several remedies that at least seemed to work for me. I started thinking to myself if only I knew before about these types of remedies maybe I could have helped her. I started considering herbs that could help with menstrual cramps and found quite a few.

Motherwort for example has a feminine connotation hence the name and has been noted by herbalists to encourage bleeding for women who are having delayed menstruation which in turn heightens cramps.

Partridge Berry was another one that caught my eye as herbalist claim it aids in toning the uterus muscles and helping them better resist spasms.

Cramp Bark… self-explanatory huh? I mean not really but yes.
Cramp Bark is excellent at calming nerves and keeping muscles generally relaxed which helps blood circulate better, it is these relaxing powers that subdue spasms in the uterus and ease pain.

There are other options such as Black Cohosh Root, Red Raspberry Leaf and Mugwort that provide similar relief. You can even find mixes that contain most if not all these herbs, a brand called Secrets of the Tribe produces a tincture called Cycle Care that includes most of the herbs mentioned above. I assume you can also get just the raw herbs individually as well.

I hope my attempt at research and help can reach someone in need. I passed the list to my ex-wife, yeah, we still talk, I mean we did raise a little terrier together.

Sincerely,

Dave.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:58 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Hello and welcome! Terriers are sweet, what kind do you have? Not an herbal remedy, and I never really had bad cramps, but years back I used the small Therma Care 8 hour heat wraps, the one just small enough for the stomach area, and they worked very well the few times I used them.

Vitamin D3 is supposed to be helpful. http://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread...nstrual+cramps

Another past thread that may be helpful. http://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread...nstrual+cramps
Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 AM
Observer

Shreya_pandey is on a distinguished road
Smile

Herbal remedies for menstrual pains can actually work but the options are very few. Herbs are generally available as standardized dried extracts (pills, capsules, or tablets), teas, tinctures, or liquid extracts (alcohol extraction, unless otherwise noted). A good part of following or opting a herbal medication will be mixing it with any of your favourite drinks and cherish an indirect benefit of this.

Again as I browsed the web and read from sources I found these herbs which could be taken as a remedy. Also, I would like to mention that these medicines or options should ONLY be considered under a doctor's review or consultation.

* Chaste tree or chaste berry (Vitex agnus castus). Chaste tree may interact with a number of medications, including chlorpromazine (Thorazine), haloperidol (Haldol), levodopa, metoclopramide, olanzapine (Zyprexa), prochlorperazine (Compazine), quetiapine (Seroquel), ropinirole (Requip), risperidone (Risperdal). It may also make birth control pills less effective.

* Cramp bark (Viburnum opulus), taken as a tea. People who take diuretics (water pills) or lithium should ask their doctors before taking cramp bark.

* Black cohosh (Actaea racemosa) standardized extract, 20 to 40 mg, 2 times a day. Black cohosh may interact with medications processed by the liver, including acetaminophen (Tylenol), atorvastatin (Lipitor), carbamazepine (Tegretol), isoniazid (INH), methotrexate (Rheumatrex), and others.

* Evening primrose oil (Oenothera biennis). Some studies have found evening primrose oil to be effective at relieving symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). People with a history of seizures should not take evening primrose oil. Evening primrose oil can increase the risk of bleeding, particularly in people who already take blood-thinning medications, such as Coumadin (Warfarin), Plavix (Clopidogrel), or aspirin.

* Turmeric (Curcuma longa), for inflammation. Turmeric can increase the risk of bleeding, particularly in people who already take blood-thinning medications, such as Coumadin (Warfarin) and aspirin. Speak to your doctor before taking it. People with gallstones or gallbladder problems should ask their doctor before using turmeric.

* Fennel, for nausea and weakness during menstruation. Preliminary studies suggest fennel may reduce the severity of symptoms.

An interesting source which I found on the internet could be: https://www.verywell.com/herbs-for-m...l-cramps-89901

Again, there could also be some allopathic medicines that can always come in handy in cases of emergency, travelling, tours etc. I personally use meftal spas for most of my menstrual concerns. Although it's a generic medicine, I find it really helpful at times. You can check it online for help too. Also, you can visit doctors for prescription medicines.

This issue might be fatal in the future or could influence her health big time. Could also bring changes in her behaviour or lifestyle as this will be a genuine concern to deal with every time. I hope I was of some assistance to you.

Tags
cramps, healing, herbs, menstrual pain
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.