Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Systems & Organs

Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Lecturer

Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default Alpha Lipoic Acid, Silymarin and Selenium vs. Liver Disease

Quote:
The standard-of-care treatments for severe liver damage, especially liver transplant surgery, can be painful, disabling, and extremely costly. From my experience in my practice, interferon and antivirals have less than a 30% improvement rate, and this response is usually not permanent.

Liver transplant surgery in a few cases can be lifesaving and necessary, but is uncertain and tentative, partly due to the residual viremia that ultimately infects the newly transplanted liver. I have found that the highest viral loads are seen following liver transplant surgery, since the residual viruses in the bloodstream and tissues have a new healthy liver on which to feed.

The triple antioxidant therapy offers a more conservative approach to the treatment of hepatitis C that is much less expensive. One year of antioxidant therapies described in this paper costs only a few thousand dollars, whereas liver transplant surgery costs more than $400,000 a year, and in five years, the person will probably require a new transplant. And, in addition, the transplant patient will require anti-rejection drugs and many doctor and hospital visits.

It appears reasonable to me that prior to transplant evaluation or during the transplant evaluation process, this conservative triple antioxidant treatment program should be considered. If there is a significant improvement in the patient's condition, liver transplant surgery may be avoided.

Not too long ago, I was invited by the Internal Medicine Society of Saxony to present my triple antioxidant protocol to the group in Dresden, Germany. I was asked why viral loads did not always fall to very low levels with my treatment program. I answered that from a microbiologist's point of view that I did not believe that one could ever completely eradicate a viral disease without killing the patient. I added that we could only hope to support and "teach" the immune system how to recognize and control a virus.

Normally, viruses remain part of our biology for the rest of our lives. And this does not necessarily make a person sick. We are all filled with billions of dormant viruses. As long as we have a healthy lifestyle and avoid unnecessary emotional and physical stress, the viruses should remain dormant. I believe that one can live to 100 years old with hepatitis C and still be a healthy person.

Burton M. Berkson MD, MS, PhD
http://www.townsendletter.com/Dec2007/alphalipo1207.htm
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.