Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Systems & Organs

Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Lecturer

Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default If You're Going to Smoke ... Eat Almonds

...and other antioxidant-rich foods.

Quote:
The men smoked between five and 20 cigarettes per day, and were assigned to receive a daily supplement of either almonds (84 g) or pork (120 g) for four weeks. A four-week washout period separated the interventions.

The researchers report that baseline levels of 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG), a marker for oxidative stress, and malondialdehyde (MDA), a reactive carbonyl compound and a major end product of lipid oxidation, were 185 and 64 per cent higher in smokers than non-smokers.

Moreover, activities of the antioxidant enzymes superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (Gpx), and catalase (CAT) were 15, 10, and nine per cent lower in smokers than non-smokers, respectively, said the researchers from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University.

After the four-week almond intervention, SOD and Gpx levels increased by 35 and 16 per cent in the smokers, compared to baseline. In addition, 8-OHdG and MDA levels decreased by 28 and 34 per cent, respectively, said the researchers.

Almonds, a rich source of vitamin E, also resulted in a ten per cent increase in blood levels of alpha-tocopherol.
http://www.nutraingredients.com/news...xidant-smokers
Old 11-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Explorer

JonB is on a distinguished road

Thanks Harry, when I drink my scotch and have a cigar, I'll make sure I eat plenty of almonds.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Enlightener

scorpiotiger will become famous soon enough

perhaps this might be good advice for firefighters, too?

I will be sure to show to my friend who has been trying to "quit" for the last 7 years...
Old 11-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Lecturer

Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default reply for ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiotiger View Post
perhaps this might be good advice for firefighters, too?
It couldn't hurt. Heck, many of us are exposed to unhealthful air-quality. That's why it's important to eat (and supplement, IMO) to help offset some of the inevitable harm that modern-day living provides.

Maybe someone from Blue Diamond is reading this (yeah right) and they'll donate some almonds to your friend's fire station. Talk about a great photo-op!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Beloved Mentor

bifrost99 will become famous soon enough

I remember reading somewhere that it's cigarettes that's the problem. Smoking pipes or cigars is not as harmful. One study even showed that lung cancer is higher in non-smokers than pipe smokers, and is just about the same with cigar smokers. (Sorry, I did not keep the reference.) So it's really something in the cigarettes.

I'm not a smoker. Never was. But I still enjoy all nuts.

Gerry
Old 11-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Enlightener

Xania is on a distinguished road

I have read, very recently, that a study of some nutrient, or some population group, showed a cancer protective effect in smokers who made their own cigarettes. I think it was something Harry posted, but it might take a lot of reading to find it again. It was just one phrase in one sentence, in a lot of text. If I find it, I will bring it here.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Standing at the Portal

Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

Well, where I work we see a lot of lung cancer. It is one of the most prevalent diagnosis. Off hand I would say that only about 10 percent of these people ever smoked.

I personally don't believe that smoking causes cancer, having come from a family of committed smokers. Not a one of them had lung cancer. And only one COPD. I was raised in a cloud of smoke myself. I remember those car rides...you know, when you try too look in the windows of the care and its hard to see people in there cause of the smoke and you open the door and the clouds come rolling out!

It never gave me a lot respiratory problems either as a kid. I don't think I was anymore sick that other kids I knew.

Maybe we did better because we ate our spinach. My family believed in veggies.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Enlightener

Arrow - what is your point of disagreement? That almonds may not help smokers? I think I have misunderstood your meaning!

Searching for that reference to the cancer-protecting aspect of hand rolled cigarettes, I can only find masses of links to artices saying that home-made ciggies are much more likely to cause cancer than commercially made types. So there was a self-cancelling venture! It's here somewhere - - -
Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Standing at the Portal

Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

No, just that smoking does not cause cancer, at least not to match the stats they claim. Perhaps I changed the topic a bit.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Enlightener

I undestand! I have to agree with you - my experience matches yours. Absolutely everyone smoked when I was growing up, yet there was less lung cancer then.
Here, or rather in Scotland where they had a smoking ban in March, '06, they are claiming that cancer figures are dropping - how silly that makes them look. As though they are saying - stop smoking now and you won't develop cancer in the coming weeks? Don't they need at least a five year period to begin to assess any effects?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Standing at the Portal

A smoking ban in Scotland? Are they to assume that everyone just quite instantly, and no longer even smoke in their own homes? Hmmm......... this all sounds like propaganda to me. But propaganda by whom is the question. Who has this interest of all these people not to smoke in Scotland? Gomerites?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Enlightener

Iggy Dalrymple will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifrost99 View Post
I'm not a smoker. Never was. But I still enjoy all nuts.

Gerry
How about smoked nuts?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Enlightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowwind09 View Post
A smoking ban in Scotland? Are they to assume that everyone just quite instantly, and no longer even smoke in their own homes? Hmmm......... this all sounds like propaganda to me. But propaganda by whom is the question. Who has this interest of all these people not to smoke in Scotland? Gomerites?
It's a ban on smoking in public and work places. That led to the appearance in court of a man who smoked in his own vehicle. As he used it for work, the vehicle became a work place. He smoked in a work place!

Court - fine.

It's the same in England now, since July this year.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Explorer

JonB is on a distinguished road

Sorry people, NZ beats you all. We now have a bill in parliment that will prevent us from smoking in our own homes if someone else lives there (even if they smoke). Big brother is whatching Its not law yet, but........... watch this space.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Lecturer

pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough
Default Cancer..

I don't know if smoking causes cancer directly, however, it does weaken the immune system, and over a long period of time, can seriously damage the immune system, thereby creating the possibility of all kinds of disease, including cancer.
I also believe it is possible to offset smoking with antioxidants, as well as high dose vitamin C. As long as the immune system is working properly, disease is not possible.

Tags
smoking
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.