Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

Old 09-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Observer

greenmom is on a distinguished road
Smile In memory of Mother: Food, snacks, exercise, fitness

Mother enjoyed snacking on a few graham crackers or eating an apple before preparing supper. However, she did not like for her children to do it, because it would ruin our appetite. As Mother became older, she became more concerned about the foods she ate.

Senior citizens generally require fewer calories because of less activity, but vitamin and mineral needs are similar to those of younger adults.

Suggested exercises and snack foods for senior citizens is included in the rest of this article:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3...ercise-fitness
Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

"Snacks like carrot sticks, green peppers, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower and broccoli have very few calories per serving, but provide needed vitamins and minerals."

Those are snacks? I simply refuse to get old/er in this case.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Observer

Default In memory of Mother: Food, snacks, exercise, fitness

jfh,

Yeah, not much to look forward to, huh?

However, for the past six weeks, I have been eating those veggies as snacks and have lost some weight. I thought I would miss those other munchies and I did for two weeks.

Other choices are: sugar-free jello, sugar-free pudding, and certain yogurts.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Lecturer

pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom View Post
jfh,

Yeah, not much to look forward to, huh?

However, for the past six weeks, I have been eating those veggies as snacks and have lost some weight. I thought I would miss those other munchies and I did for two weeks.

Other choices are: sugar-free jello, sugar-free pudding, and certain yogurts.
The sugar-free choices may contain artificial sweeteners such as aspartame or sucralose, which are toxic poisons.

They can exite brain and spine cells to the point of destruction.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Observer

Pinball doctor,

Like with anything read the label and use one's own judgement, because in some situations research has been tainted with the mighty dollar.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Lecturer

pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom View Post
Pinball doctor,

Like with anything read the label and use one's own judgement, because in some situations research has been tainted with the mighty dollar.
Artificial sweeteners are toxic poisons.

... no matter what the label says.

Natural sweeteners, such as stevia or honey, are fine.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Observer

Pinball doctor,

It was a general statement. I use stevia, but not honey. My family has been fortunate to grow several stevia plants in our yard. We have been experimenting using the leaves to sweeten our homemade tea, etc.

A number of companies are using products containing stevia and list them as 'sugar-free.' The label may not have the word 'stevia.' However, with a little research, one can determine that 'stevia' is being used but not listed as 'stevia,' something about the part of the plant, etc.

It is refreshing to know another 'stevia' user. I have discussed using stevia as a sugar replacement with my friends and they still use those nasty artificial sweeteners.

I plan on handing out free packets of stevia to my friends, since I can obtain an discount at iherb.com, much cheaper than purchasing at the local health food store. My friends can used a $5.00 coupon code BER298 and save money if they want to purchase a box of stevia packets.

Just to set the record straight, I am not promoting sugar-free products that contain those hard-to-pronounce chemicals.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Greenmom
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

That's an excellent idea greenmom. I never thought of growing my own stevia. I wonder if it is deer resistant. I know they will eat anything, if they are hungry; but several plants are resistant. I'm going to have to check out that info. I never thought it would grow in North America; but why not.

One sweetener that I find disgusting is high fructose corn syrup. It seems to be everywhere. Even in places where one would think the drink would not need to be sweeter.

For snacks, I like crunch and salt. Hence, chips and crackers. I suppose I could salt some of the veggies you have mentioned and break away from these bad things.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Observer

jfh,

I agree! I thought the stevia plants would not grow in North America. At first, they looked like they were not going to make it. We started with three and lost one. The two are still thriving next to the basil we grow. If these make it, we'll add more next year.

In addition to the snacks I previously mentioned, we have been making our own jerky. A couple of pieces really help throughout the day, along with slices of cheddar cheese and raw vegetables with dip.

If you are a vegan, then I apologize for mentioning the jerky. I have relatives and friends who are vegans. I've seen a close friend of mine recover from a type of cancer, by becoming a vegan. So, I do respect their lifestyle choice.

If you decide to grow the stevia, let me know what happens (deer and all).
Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 AM
perpetual student

Vegan? No. Hamburgers are a staple in my diet.

My nephew used to make jerky, when he was a teen. He'd always bring me some in a ziplock baggie. They did not last long. They would mold quickly. But I did not tell him that I did not trust them after so many times. He was a very sensitive fellow. I just graciously accepted them. I would eat them for the first 2 days, then off to the garbage.

Speaking of my nephew. He was obese in his teenage years. As I said, he's a sensitive guy. He decided to really do something about it. The only thing he did though, was to quit drinking sodas. Not even diet sodas, thank goodness. In one year, he dropped from above 200 to 180, which seems to be his normal. I'm proud of him. My brother says that he did not even exercise more to produce the results.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Observer

jfh,

Yes, I know what you mean about jerky. Ours has been trial and error. I think we finally got it down pretty good.

I have been on a low-carb, protein diet. My brother lost eighty pounds in less than a year. One has to avoid sugar. In the beginning, this was difficult, since this included no fruit.

Currently, I am able to have a small amount of fruit.

I had problems losing weight at first, because of the candida. However, I began to drop weight after taking a garlic capsule on a daily basis.

I am glad for your brother! I know it was not easy at first with the sodas.

Also, you had mentioned about the high fructose corn syrup and so many products.

I am an educator and it really bothers me to see children eating food in the school cafeteria that has high fructose corn syrup in it, such as yogurt. I have remained quiet, otherwise, there are consequences for opening one's mouth. However, I write an assortment of articles using various pen names and have written about cafeteria food.

Just for fun, I like to write humor. I posted this link this morning about my gal who swims with the alligators. It is an ongoing story and as long as I put something in about nutrition (technically speaking), I can keep publishing. So, if you get a chance check it out. Currently, she's not swimming with the gators 'cause she got hitched. But, her hubby left her and she is stuck in New York City.

http://www.examiner.com/x-3788-Norfo...ity-part-three
Old 09-17-2009, 07:30 PM
perpetual student

Oh my gosh! She has more courage than me. Is any of that real? Are you basing these tales on a real character?

And no thanks on the rutabagas. I'm no good with them. I haven't had any for quite a while. I always wait for someone to make some for me. They never turn out right, when I do it.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Observer

jfh,

None of the story is real. I started writing this talltale to add a little bit of humor and fun in the world.

If you have either read the book, "The Secret," or have seen the DVD, then you know. If not, there was a woman suffering from breast cancer who watched funny movies and escaped the daily stressors for awhile. She was able to cure her cancer. As such, 'disease' can not exist in a body 'at-ease.'

There are so many sad events happening in our world all the time. So, I thought 'why not' create a zany character to add a little humor.

If interested, the following link will take one to how it all started:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3...ligator-bait-7
Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 PM
perpetual student

That's good greenmom. Humor really helps one to lean toward a more positive attitude; if even for a few moments. Laughter is a great physical exercise for the body as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Observer

jfh,

Thanks ... we all need a good laugh...now and then. Actually, I could use a good laugh every day.

greenmom

Tags
senior citizen, snacks
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.