Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Heart Health

Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 PM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default Cholesterol

http://tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=44...ampaign=buffer
Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 AM
Frater Aegagrus

Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

Text?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Enlightener

ozzie has a spectacular aura aboutozzie has a spectacular aura about

Definately stopped taking Cholesterol meds long ago and decided to eat better, guess what? Cholesterol is perfect now, and mine was supposed to be hereditary.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Reader

Audi will become famous soon enoughAudi will become famous soon enough

hi ozzie
can I ask you to elaborate on 'eat better' , did you cut out fats or anything else in your diet or take supplements?.
I too have elevated cholesterol levels which the doctor wants to medicate me for but she has agreed to give me six months to bring it down myself ,not sure how to go about it since I consider my diet to already be healthy enough.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Enlightener

Audi,I don't know if being vegetarian helps, but I got it down from 6.2 down to 5.5 total cholesterol,I believe having oats for breakfast,not cooked but soaked with boiling water,then milk and a sliced banana on top,I make my own almond milk to have on breakfast, don't use sugar at all,only use olive oil for cooking, and drink Oolong tea, Rooi bos and green tea most of the time and 1 cup of coffee a day the only meat I might have occasionally is tuna, I have sweet potatoes rather than white and multi grain bread rather than white I cant say I have lost any weight,but at least my cholesterol is down ,beware of Canola oil as that is very bad for us.
We also eat quite a few stir fry vegetables, and wholemeal pasta dishes now and then and generally have a salad sandwich for lunch,by following this diet I also have my Diabetes well and truly under control.
We still enjoy having pieces of birthday cake when we celebrate family birthdays
I hope this is of some help to you Audi
PS I have just started having a lemon drink first thing in the morning and again last drink for the evening.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Enlightener

Audi yes I do take a multi vitamin and 1000 ui of D3, we do share a packet of crisps now and then as a treat and a few pieces of dark chocolate ,we don't drink any alcohol either.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:59 AM
Reader

thanks ozzie, I can see where I could improve my diet with fibre and exercise ,not going vegen though that's too harsh for one who likes steak and cake and and, ok I could cut down on those too.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Enlightener

d0ug is a jewel in the roughd0ug is a jewel in the roughd0ug is a jewel in the rough

In June 25 2014 Time Magazine had a front page donated to the cholesterol fraud. American Heart association promoted a machinery grease [Crisco] as being better for you than saturated fat. Why did they do that maybe it was the 1.7 million dollars.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

There was a blurb in the AARP mag recently saying: "Fast Pass - Scientists now say there's no reason for patients to fast for six to eight hours before testing of cholesterol levels. A New York University School of Medicine study finds that nonfasting readings are just as accurate as fasting ones. 'We should abandon the requirement for fasting,' says study coauthor Sripal Bangalore."

I'd welcome comments on this. Kaiser requires a 12-hour fast for cholesterol tests. I'm diabetic and my fasting blood sugar goes down for around 8 hours, then starts going back up, so when they test after 12 hours it's something like 60 points higher than true lowest. The doctors know this, yet insist, "That's the number we use." (meaning the one after 12 hours. Plus I feel terrible for about three days after fasting and all for naught regarding the cholesterol numbers? I'm not particularly concerned about my cholesterol numbers but my doctor is, of course, because he loves to push statins on me (which I refuse).
Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Frater Aegagrus

Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH View Post
There was a blurb in the AARP mag recently saying: "Fast Pass - Scientists now say there's no reason for patients to fast for six to eight hours before testing of cholesterol levels. .

I don't trust the AARP and I'm not buying the no fasting either.

This is interesting http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/chole...screening-test
Old 11-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

With the new findings in medical science, people at risk for heart disease should worry much less about cholesterol and much more about gluten.

http://www.cbn.com/health/naturalhea...olesterol.aspx

http://realfoodforager.com/the-conne...heart-disease/
Old 11-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Guide

Living Food will become famous soon enough

Cholesterol is not the villain many think it is.

Quote:
the doctor wants to medicate me for but she has agreed to give me six months to bring it down myself
Doctors have no power over you and they can't force you to do anything. To say your doctor has "agreed" to give you 6 months to make a change before they force drugs on you, is to give your doctor far too much power by buying into the illusion of authority. I would not suffer the nonsense of a doctor who goes around trying to push drugs on people, especially not for something so innocent as high cholesterol. I'm sure your doctor is a very nice person, but she is either knowingly or unknowingly in the pocket of the drug companies and seems to know very little about health (with doctors this is the rule rather than the exception).

I will say it again - cholesterol is not the villain many think it is. Cholesterol-lowering drugs, on the other hand, are horrifically devastating to your health.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Reader

larryz has a spectacular aura aboutlarryz has a spectacular aura about

Exactly, Living Food.

Really, what's the need for a PCP or family doctor if you are taking control of your own health, educating yourself, etc? Or even a pediatrician? They exist to push drugs on you.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Frater Aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
With the new findings in medical science, people at risk for heart disease should worry much less about cholesterol and much more about gluten.

http://www.cbn.com/health/naturalhea...olesterol.aspx

http://realfoodforager.com/the-conne...heart-disease/

Great articles, thanks.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Food View Post
Cholesterol is not the villain many think it is.

Doctors have no power over you and they can't force you to do anything. To say your doctor has "agreed" to give you 6 months to make a change before they force drugs on you, is to give your doctor far too much power by buying into the illusion of authority. I would not suffer the nonsense of a doctor who goes around trying to push drugs on people, especially not for something so innocent as high cholesterol. I'm sure your doctor is a very nice person, but she is either knowingly or unknowingly in the pocket of the drug companies and seems to know very little about health (with doctors this is the rule rather than the exception).

I will say it again - cholesterol is not the villain many think it is. Cholesterol-lowering drugs, on the other hand, are horrifically devastating to your health.
of course the doctor has no power over me, final decisions are mine alone.
the Doc agrees diet/exercise is the best way to bring cholesterol down and I will be tested again in 6 months, no doubt she will want to medicate me if I don't succeed ,that is how mainstream medicine works,but I don't have to comply even if I don't believe cholesterol is oh so innocent.

Dr Michael Mosley did an interesting experiment on the effects of high meat consumption, for 30 days he consumed 130g per day of red and processed meats, in that short time his LDL cholesterol increased significantly, that doesn't sound innocent to me.I will be monitering my meat consumption and see what happens to the cholesterol levels.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.