Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Heart Health

Old 12-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Enlightener

scorpiotiger will become famous soon enough

ok, Gerry.. Fess Up!!!

I know the REAL reason you like the Tabata protocol workouts! I've tried it twice (and still am going to try a couple of other ways to do this)..

I tried jumproping.. but I think i had a cough wannabee lurking in my system (my husband and son had a bug.. and I think it was trying to get me).. so I quit, and decided to wait a bit till I was over whatever it was.

but today, at the gym, I revved up the treadmill and tried to keep track of the time.. 20 secs fast (my friend was saying... Whoa.. what are you doing?).. then walk 10 secs, then repeat.. I wasn't able to do the 8 intervals - (too winded).. but about the 3rd or 4th time.. I'm feeling....

Wheeeeeeee!!!!

kind of a high. .....

so... I know the REAL reason you like these intervals.

increase heart capacity... yeah..

(you didn't think anyone would try it and find out your secret, did you? )

well, now, I'm looking forward to the next time!!!

Last edited by scorpiotiger; 12-08-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Beloved Mentor

bifrost99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiotiger View Post
but today, at the gym, I revved up the treadmill and tried to keep track of the time.. 20 secs fast (my friend was saying... Whoa.. what are you doing?).. then walk 10 secs, then repeat.. I wasn't able to do the 8 intervals - (too winded).. but about the 3rd or 4th time.. I'm feeling....

Wheeeeeeee!!!!

kind of a high.
Whaaa....???

How come I don't get the high that you got? I must be doing something wrong?

Maybe I should go for running instead of my squatting? Probably the reason why it's called a "runner's" high, not a squatter's, or a puncher's, or a skip-roper's, or whatever.

Well, it's good to know you got an added benefit. But remember, highs can be addicting. You might find yourself hitting that treadmill again and again and find yourself with withdrawal symptoms when you can't get to that treadmill.

You might even become so addicted that you go and buy your own treadmill, searching from the underground world of sleazy treadmill-pushers!

At least, it's a good addiction.

You'll most likely hit your 5K run target well ahead of schedule.

Can't complete the 8 cycles? Remember that the aim is to reach heart-lung max, NOT to do the same thing in all 8 exertion phases. So if you're too winded after, say, the 4th cycle, you can do the succeeding exertion phases with a slower speed (which still gets you to near max), but faster than your recovery phase speed. Your last few cycles might even go down to simple walk-stand cycles, if the walks would be enough to bring you to max. I think completing the 8 cycles is what greatly accelerates our progress. But again, it does not mean that all 8 exertion phases have to be the same. And neither should the recovery phases be the same as well.

To your further progress,
Gerry

Last edited by bifrost99; 12-08-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Enlightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifrost99 View Post
Whaaa....???

How come I don't get the high that you got? I must be doing something wrong?

Maybe I should go for running instead of my squatting? Probably the reason why it's called a "runner's" high, not a squatter's, or a puncher's, or a skip-roper's, or whatever.

Well, it's good to know you got an added benefit. But remember, highs can be addicting. You might find yourself hitting that treadmill again and again and find yourself with withdrawal symptoms when you can't get to that treadmill.

You might even become so addicted that you go and buy your own treadmill, searching from the underground world of sleazy treadmill-pushers!
HAHAHAHA...

I can see it now, trying to hide my treadmills around the house.. my husband saying, "s.t., I can hear the thump thump of your feet.. I know you are doing those intervals again! I want you to stop this!!! It is taking over your life!!! "

and the local sleezy treadmill-pusher leering.. "didn't I just sell you a treadmill last week? Well.. there's been a lot of demand for those treadmills.. the price has gone up!!!"

Quote:
At least, it's a good addiction.

You'll most likely hit your 5K run target well ahead of schedule.
well, I don't think so. I'm afraid that God had already given out all athletic talent by the time he got to me...

but, that is part of the reason I like jogging. you put one foot in front of the other, then switch, then do it again... Wow.. I can do that!!!

Quote:
Can't complete the 8 cycles? Remember that the aim is to reach heart-lung max, NOT to do the same thing in all 8 exertion phases. So if you're too winded after, say, the 4th cycle, you can do the succeeding exertion phases with a slower speed (which still gets you to near max), but faster than your recovery phase speed. Your last few cycles might even go down to simple walk-stand cycles, if the walks would be enough to bring you to max. I think completing the 8 cycles is what greatly accelerates our progress. But again, it does not mean that all 8 exertion phases have to be the same. And neither should the recovery phases be the same as well.

To your further progress,
Gerry
actually... I wonder if he has another version saying what heartrate the cycles should be (as a percentage between your min and max heartrate)? I have a heartrate monitor.. definitely a good investment I've found. I used it when I was doing the couch to 5K (well, for me, it is time, couch to 30 minutes of running).

Gerry, I know that you feel that the biking didn't help you the way that you thought, but I found a definite improvement in maximum heartrate while running (it has dropped steadily), and a gain in recovery time (my heartrate goes back to normal much quicker than before). Now some of that might have been the intervals at the beginning of the program, but I am still noticing improvement... though not as fast.

and I noticed rapid improvement when I first started walking.. but I was so out of shape when I started that any improvement was dramatic.

I think you do reach a "roof".. maybe because your body adjusts, and knows how to handle that particular type of exercise.. but I still say walking regularly is worth it.

Have you any of Maffetone's articles on heartrate training? here is one guy's experience:
http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460

I didn't follow this, but I noticed that if I kept my heartrate down (by slowing down), I could run longer. So, I started watching it everytime. and the changes I have seen over time (about 16 weeks, I think) are I am slowly increasing my speed (very slowly), but am still keeeping the same heart rate. It is taking longer to get it to the max. and I am recovering much quicker when I quit running (and walk to cool down).

but.. I'm not sweating as much.. the sweating does great things for the skin.

so... those are my experiences.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Enlightener

Hey, Gerry, are you still doing the Tabata Intervals?

Have you seen any more improvement?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Lecturer

liverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of light

I once took out a subscription to a gym but I only went once, didnt like it...
After that I used to send a note from my Mother every week.

I once read somewhere that Harry was going to try and cobble together for his Father something that did the same thing as the Zone Plus handgrip
exerciser(at a much cheaper cost). Does anybody know whether he managed to do this?
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.