Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Exercise & Dieting

Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to all
Default Drinking more water reduces junk food

Drinking just one more tall glass of plain water every day may help you drop some pounds and add years to your life.

This is the apparent conclusion of research conducted at the University of Illinois and published in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.

The research was led by Dr. Ruopeng An, a kinesiology and community health professor at UI. Dr. An and colleagues examined the water consumption and diets of 18,311 adults.

Just one more cup

The research found that those who drank at least one cup of water (and up to three) more actually ate less fats and sugary foods. Heck, they ate far less junk food in general. They ate between 68 and 205 calories less per day. Their sodium consumption dropped by up to 235 milligrams per day. They ate 5,000 to 18,000 milligrams less sugar a day. And their cholesterol consumption dropped by up to 21 milligrams a day.

They also found that increasing plain water consumption by just 1 percent had the effect of significantly reducing the intake of sugar, sodium, cholesterol and saturated fat. This means less junk food.

Sources of plain water

The reduction of junky food was accomplished by drinking plain water from the tap or from a water cooler. Or bottled water or a drinking fountain. Easy stuff, yes?

Dr. An commented on the range of data:

“The impact of plain water intake on diet was similar across race/ethnicity, education and income levels and body weight status.”

Water versus dietary habits

The research analyzed health data from the 2005 to 2012 dietary studies from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. These studies are conducted by the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics. The subjects recalled what they ate and drank over a two day period. This was done again with several days in between.

This allowed the researchers to calculate the amount of plain water each person drank in proportion to what they consumed otherwise. Plain water was only plain water: Teas and coffee – even if unsweetened – were not considered water in this study.

The research discovered that people drank a little over four cups of plain water on average. This was a little over 30 percent of their total water consumption.

They also found that people ate an average of 2,157 calories per day. This included 125 calories from sugary drinks and 432 calories from junk foods such as desserts or pastries.

Just a little more water

Every one percent increase in plain water consumption led to a reduction of calories per day. This one percent increase also meant reductions of sugar, fat, sodium and cholesterol.

This is not the first study finding that drinking more water is associated with eating better. A 2010 review of research from the University of North Carolina found a similar result. The research found that drinking a sugary drink before eating resulted in consuming 7.8 percent more calories of food compared to water. Replacing water with even milk or juice also increased calorie consumption. In other words, drinking water was associated with eating less and better nutrition.

REFERENCES:
An R, McCaffrey J. Plain water consumption in relation to energy intake and diet quality among US adults, 2005-2012. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2016 Oct;29(5):624-32. doi: 10.1111/jhn.12368.

Forrest S. Drinking more water associated with numerous dietary benefits, study finds. Illinois News Bureau. February 29, 2016

Daniels MC, Popkin BM. Impact of water intake on energy intake and weight status: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2010 Sep;68(9):505-21. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2010.00311.x.

This article is by

Case Adams, Naturopath
Case Adams is a California Naturopath with a PhD in Natural Health Sciences, and Board Certified Alternative Medicine Practitioner. He has authored 26 books on natural healing strategies. “My journey into writing about alternative medicine began about 9:30 one evening after I finished with a patient at the clinic I practiced at over a decade ago. I had just spent the last two hours explaining how diet, sleep and other lifestyle choices create health problems and how changes in these, along with certain herbal medicines and other natural strategies can radically yet safely turn ones health around. As I drove home that night, I realized I needed to get this knowledge out to more people. So I began writing about health with a mission to reach those who desperately need this information. The strategies in my books and articles are backed by scientific evidence along with wisdom handed down through traditional medicines for thousands of years.”

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Observer

Horselover96 is on a distinguished road

Water is SO important. I actually know children who won't drink it, they have to have soda or juice instead. THey just never learned to appreciate good plain water. It's sad, apparently they can't stand the taste.

Of course, to be fair a lot of water in the country can taste a bit weird with the minerals and chlorine and everything else in there. It's easier to remember to drink water when it doesn't taste weird LOL!

I'm actually thinking of getting a water filter for my house, I'm not sure if all I need is just one of those Brita filter pitchers or something a little more substantial. Any thoughts? I've been searching around for info but it's hard to sort through it all. I found this blog that says all you need is a filter pitcher (though she doesn't seem keen on Brita) if all you want to do is remove the chlorine taste from water.

Wikipedia says filter pitchers don't really do much though, so I'm not sure what to think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brita

Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Observer

DJMOMJ is on a distinguished road

I think we neglect the simple fact that burning more than you eat is the simplest formula. I was 120kg few yrs ago, I didnt change my diet from pizzas and other junk food much, I just walked and walked literally my ass off for three months. Second to this I would strongly suggest that the reduction of suger via soft drinks backs up your cardio efforts. for me, once id excercised my ass off for 7 days, Id think twice about which liquid went down my throat.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Explorer

Samia is on a distinguished road

I could not stand to drink water until I learned that putting a wee pinch of salt into the water turns it into a most satisfying drink. It's true. Salt + water go together.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

Many people are "confused" with thirst and hunger and will eat when they are thirsty instead of drinking some water. Sorry I don't have a link for that right now. I have a reverse-osmosis water system in my house and it is well worth it. Brita filters won't remove flouride and chlorine which is a source of chronic digestive problems and allergic reactions for many. It also won't eliminate other things in water such as lead, other heavy metals, and even medical waste which is found in many municipal water supplies.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Explorer

Samia is on a distinguished road

I wonder if hard water from a pretty deep well (197 ft.) is healthful or not.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.