Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Observer

NurseMary is on a distinguished road
Question Collagen Supplements Not Created Equal

Hi! I'm new around here - looking for some input from folks that know

Recently a person with an MLM talked me into trying there Collagen Product - with Hyaluronic Acid. It tastes good but is expensive.

I understand that the Hyaluronic Acid makes it more digestible but when I have been looking around at supplements to replace it with what I'm finding is that those without Hyaluronic Acid a dose of Collagen is about twice as much.

Have any of you had experience with this?
Is Hyaluronic Acid safe?
Does it really take half as much Collagen this way?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Reader

DavyKOTWF will become famous soon enough

From what I've read, that Hyalu. Acid is what you DO want. Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid are absolutely integral ingredients for maximizing the benefits of a collagen supplement.
You want also, no hormones, no antibiotics, no chemicals and no GMOs.
You DO want Hydrolyzed collagen and good bioavailability (absorbs well).

One BioCell bottle said it had 100mg of Hyalu. Acid in it...that seems very low amount. Sometimes manufacturers will put in very low amounts of hot buzz words, just to make you buy their bottle. That bottle cost about $16 for 2 months. Seems quite cheap.

On another site, I read,
How Much Collagen Do I Need Each Day?
We recommend 5,000mg (5g) minimum of Amino Collagen C per day. Depending on your age and the condition of your skin around the face and eyes, some individuals notice better results with an increased daily dose of 10,000-15,000mg (10-15g).

http://collagencomplete.com/best-collagen-supplement/

I'm currently taking
https://www.amazon.com/Antler-Farms-...9AP8Z7KBQ1RNH0 It seems to contain 10g to 15g of pure hydrolyzed collagen. I had never seen a product that had 34 straight 5 star and only 5 star reviews.

Just my opinion. I'm no expert on collagen.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Reader

Well, you got me interested in this. Did more research today. Seems this Hyalu. Acid is the new kid on the block and has promising benefits. Two diff. sources did say that 40mg is enough of it for joint and cartelidge (sp) support. So 100mg may not be low at all. So it seems the old tried and true normal Collagen without the Hyalu. Acid, does indeed require 10,000mg or more, whereas the H.A. only 40 to 100mg.

Seems that the bottles of it have other kinds of collagen in it also. So some bottles have both.

I've found a bottle called BioCell that will last for 2 months and is $20 shipped. Or another for $15.65 shipped. They both have 1000mg of some other collagen. Both get great reviews. Might be worth a shot.
Neither had a good form of vitamin C in them though.

DOug is the expert here on collagen...maybe he'll pipe in.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 AM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyKOTWF View Post
Well, you got me interested in this. Did more research today. Seems this Hyalu. Acid is the new kid on the block and has promising benefits. Two diff. sources did say that 40mg is enough of it for joint and cartelidge (sp) support. So 100mg may not be low at all. So it seems the old tried and true normal Collagen without the Hyalu. Acid, does indeed require 10,000mg or more, whereas the H.A. only 40 to 100mg.

Seems that the bottles of it have other kinds of collagen in it also. So some bottles have both.

I've found a bottle called BioCell that will last for 2 months and is $20 shipped. Or another for $15.65 shipped. They both have 1000mg of some other collagen. Both get great reviews. Might be worth a shot.
Neither had a good form of vitamin C in them though.

DOug is the expert here on collagen...maybe he'll pipe in.
Doug added that "hyaluric is the acid that flows around in the joint and also carries nutriments to the cartilage but is not a replacement for collagen. It can make the joint more comfortable."
Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Observer

Wow thank you for the insightful responses!
I noticed that the products that had Hyaluronic Acid in them had "Vitamin C" as Ascorbic acid and what I have seen in my family is that the poor forms of vitamin C actually aggravate joint pain...

I also wonder if a person could use the good forms of Collagen and then make a drink with some raw apple cider vinegar and get close to the same benefits?

The collagen helping the skin be more elastic has so many benefits besides the outside of the body - think about the blood vessels and veins - being more elastic and the effect that can have on heart disease.

Improved padding between the joints - less joint distress making exercise easier...

The list of benefits that collagen can have in the body is so amazing when you think about it...

You figured it out - Biocell Pure is the product a friend sold to me. It tastes great - but I honestly couldn't feel as much difference using it as I did when I used Dr Axe's Collagen product... I feel both product are over priced but then again - reputable companies are often worth the difference in price. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you for the Collagen article link - looks good. I'm off to finish reading it now.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Reader

Mary, here's an interesting vid on H.A. It doesn't really start kicking in till about 4 minutes, but the first 4 are very interesting too. Maybe there's more to HA than today's doctors know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACVcSp51KxQ
Old 01-06-2018, 07:16 PM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyKOTWF View Post
Mary, here's an interesting vid on H.A. It doesn't really start kicking in till about 4 minutes, but the first 4 are very interesting too. Maybe there's more to HA than today's doctors know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACVcSp51KxQ
Wow DavyK that video was Great!
That brings perspective to the whole picture. It sounds like HA is something we need...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tags
collagen
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.