Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Men's Health

Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Lecturer

EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I switched to Krill Oil from fish oil. I take 2 everyday with my first meal.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:57 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Iceland is another huge fish eater. I think that study obviously left something out. If the researchers are confused, it is because of either insufficient data or bad sampling of population.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Here is one study that refutes the original post. Makes me feel more comfortable.

Quote:
Conclusion: Increased dietary intakes of ALA may increase the risk of advanced prostate cancer. In contrast, EPA and DHA intakes may reduce the risk of total and advanced prostate cancer.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/1/204.long

Dietary fat has been one of the most frequently investigated modifiable risk factors for prostate cancer, yet findings from epidemiologic investigations of total fat intake are inconclusive (1). In recent years, interest has turned to the intake of specific fatty acids rather than to total fat intake, notably n3 and n6 fatty acids, and their ratios (2). α-Linolenic acid (ALA; 18:3n3) is the principal dietary n3 fatty acid in most Western diets; it is present in some vegetable oils and nuts, leafy vegetables, and animal fats (3). ALA can serve in a limited capacity as a precursor for eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA; 20:5n3) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n3) (4). The concentrations of EPA and DHA are high in fish oils and they consistently inhibit tumor cell growth in animal models and in cell lines from human prostate tumors (5). Linoleic acid (LA; 18:2n6) is the most abundant n6 fatty acid in the human diet, and it is found primarily in vegetable oils. Long-chain n6 fatty acids enhance prostate tumor cell growth in human prostate tumor-derived cell lines (6).
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Observer

Matt_83 is on a distinguished road

If anyone is worried about risks of prostate cancer my mum used to work for one of the best prostate cancer professors in the world and everyday he ate a packet of cherry tomatoes to protect against the disease.

Funnily enough Ive just started on omega-3 again but for some reason it hurts my sides sometimes, any ideas....???
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Observer

Matt_83 is on a distinguished road

Given up with cod liver oil as its just full of heavy metals unless you buy from an organic farmer
Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_83 View Post
Given up with cod liver oil as its just full of heavy metals unless you buy from an organic farmer
All Nordic Naturals fish oils surpass all pharmaceutical standards for freshness and purity. Every batch is third-party tested, showing no detected levels of heavy metals, dioxins or PCBs.

Carlson's say
Contaminant - Free
This product is regularly tested (using AOAC international protocols) for freshness, potency and purity by an independent, FDA-registered laboratory and has been determined to be fresh, fully-potent and free of detectable levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, PCB's and 28 other contaminants.

Weston Price has some other suggestions for the best and the good sources of Cod Liver Oil.

I use Natures Answer from IHERB where they say
This product is regularly tested (by AOCS & US Drug Formulary Test Methods) for potency and purity at independent WHO & FDA Registered Laboratories. It is found to be free of detectable levels of lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, PCB's, dioxins and pesticides.

Nature's Answer, Liquid Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, 16 fl oz (480 ml) $14.94 (9.42) so you don't have to pay a fortune for a reasonable quality CLO.
Code WAB666 provides a $5 initial discount at IHERB.

Tags
omega 3, prostate cancer
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.