Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Cancer

Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about
Default The British Government says...

..reduce your intake of red and processed meat

People should cut back on red and processed meat to reduce their risk of getting cancer, the government says.

New advice recommends eating no more than 70g a day - equivalent to 3 rashers of bacon or 2 sausages.

Experts say thousands of bowel cancer deaths could be prevented every year if people kept to the new limits

- BBC Ceefax 25/2/2011
Old 02-26-2011, 03:04 AM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

Refreshing to see at least one government standing up to the powerful meat and milk lobby.
Sensible advice too. It has been known for ages that red and processed meat is a major factor in the onset of bowel and colon cancer and other forms also.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:14 AM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Knight: in the 90s there was this bar in cleveland called FADO. The original was in atlanta where they too apart a pub in ireand and resurrected it inthe states. They imported food from ireland and the big lunch was the irish breakfast. Irish bacon, sausage and black pudding (with beans and eggs). I think your part of the world is much better with breakfast meats than we are. (and beer)
Old 02-26-2011, 09:19 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Processed meat is evil. Most delicious food is evil. Sodium nitrite. Try to find any processed meat without this carcinogen. I did find a new Oscar Meyers hot dog without this. Other than that, it is very very difficult. Too bad. I used to love, long ago, bologna with cheese and mayonnaise. Me bad.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Explorer

mindmt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mindmt
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
Processed meat is evil. Most delicious food is evil. Sodium nitrite. Try to find any processed meat without this carcinogen. I did find a new Oscar Meyers hot dog without this. Other than that, it is very very difficult. Too bad. I used to love, long ago, bologna with cheese and mayonnaise. Me bad.
Jim

Bang on - if you look up the refs, you'll find that the link is with processed meat.
The link to red meat remains unproven - here, the conclusions say that there is no elevated risk when the data is 'corrected for other risk factors'.

In the thread on flax and cancer (qv), I have already mentioned the abasence of cancer in the Inuit. If that's not convincing enough, check out the Masai - they don't even eat fish - only beef, milk and blood.

Re milk - it's pasteurisation that causes allergenic issues. But I don't advocate a lot of milk, since it comes with a payload of carbs.

Bill
Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post

You can buy uncured hot dogs and sandwhich meats and bacon at health food stores and the labels say does not contain nitrites except for nitrites naturally occuring in celery powder. The celery contanins nitrates and a natual product added reduces the nitrates to nitrites. Those food scientists! Fucking jackoffs!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmt View Post
Jim

Bang on - if you look up the refs, you'll find that the link is with processed meat.
The link to red meat remains unproven - here, the conclusions say that there is no elevated risk when the data is 'corrected for other risk factors'.

In the thread on flax and cancer (qv), I have already mentioned the abasence of cancer in the Inuit. If that's not convincing enough, check out the Masai - they don't even eat fish - only beef, milk and blood.

Re milk - it's pasteurisation that causes allergenic issues. But I don't advocate a lot of milk, since it comes with a payload of carbs.

Bill
There are scores of studies linking cancer with red meat consumption. Harvard University churn one out on a regular basis.

True the Inuit eat large quantities of animal fat, but they it eat it raw.

The Inuit consume one of the highest amounts of animal protein, but they have the highest rate of osteoporosis in the world.

And their lifespan is very much shorter. 40/50 years.

As for their Masai, their lifespan is also, generally, 40/50 years. Considerably less than other ancient peoples like the Hunzas.

Dr George Mann carried out autoposies on Masai and found that they had as much atherosclerosis as Americans, though it didn't effect them in the same way.

(One suspects the acid:alkaline balance might be a factor to all this as well.)
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 AM
In seaerch of spicy food

The masai have hoge amounts of atherosclerosis, but they walk 20 miles a day and have larger atrteries in the heart because of this.

Tags
bowel cancer, colon cancer, processed meats, red meat
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.