Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Off-topic > Chitchat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 PM
kind2creatures's Avatar
kind2creatures kind2creatures is offline
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 6,535
Blog Entries: 24
kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Question Computer Without ISP

A friend who has never owned a computer before would like to have one without a monthly ISP service bill. She is mainly interested in sending/receiving emails and researching information online. I told her that she may be able to do emails, but I didn't know if she could look up things online or order anything from websites if she didn't have an internet connection provided from an ISP.

My question is, can she get a computer and use it to browse the internet, send emails and order products without signing up with an ISP? Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM
tuina's Avatar
tuina tuina is offline
Explorer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 84
tuina is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tuina
Default

The only option I know is to get a mobile internet dongle, which is effectively like a mobile phone with no screen or keypad, which you plug into your computer. I think they're quite slow and expensive. I tried one and it was useless where I lived because of the type of mobile phone transmitter in my area.

Another possibility is if she's good friends with a neighbour who will let her use their wi-fi connection.

I am very fortunate because the estate I live on has an intranet with no need for a phone line connection and really cheap internet access, but that's pretty rare.

I don't know how it works in the US, but most of the charge here in the UK is for the phone line rental, so if she already is paying that, it won't be much more for internet connection.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM
jbo's Avatar
jbo jbo is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 692
jbo is on a distinguished road
Default

No she can't do emails surf the web or do anything on the internet with an internet service provider.

If she wants free internet at home there aren't many options. Maybe share a wifi connection with a neighor or there's free dial up providers like netzero
http://www.netzero.net/free
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 AM
kind2creatures's Avatar
kind2creatures kind2creatures is offline
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 6,535
Blog Entries: 24
kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Default

Thank you both for your suggestions, I'll let her know her options.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 AM
truestorytotell's Avatar
truestorytotell truestorytotell is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 717
truestorytotell is on a distinguished road
Default

She could buy an internet antenna,its a small machine that you plug in your usb slot (and its not expensive) and then you basically steal internet from someone near you,a company,or a home,a shop with wireless internet...(lap tops have this installed internally but the range and strenghth of those antennas are small) so you buy a cheap external one to cover bigger area and to steal internet more efficiently if you find a connection

BUT the thing is that you must find an Unlocked internet wireless,i have a friend who lives in a building with many companies and homes around,so he always steals internet and he has a few options too(besides the locked ones he cant use),if one wont work to connect,he tries the next one,and the next one...

at the end of the day i THINK (not sure) that even the locked connections can be broken,but youll need someone to do it for you or spend days and days googling and educating yourself on hacking stuff,muaahahahhaa lets open a forum... HackTalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM
jbo's Avatar
jbo jbo is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 692
jbo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorytotell View Post
She could buy an internet antenna,its a small machine that you plug in your usb slot (and its not expensive) and then you basically steal internet from someone near you,a company,or a home,a shop with wireless internet...(lap tops have this installed internally but the range and strenghth of those antennas are small) so you buy a cheap external one to cover bigger area and to steal internet more efficiently if you find a connection

BUT the thing is that you must find an Unlocked internet wireless,i have a friend who lives in a building with many companies and homes around,so he always steals internet and he has a few options too(besides the locked ones he cant use),if one wont work to connect,he tries the next one,and the next one...

at the end of the day i THINK (not sure) that even the locked connections can be broken,but youll need someone to do it for you or spend days and days googling and educating yourself on hacking stuff,muaahahahhaa lets open a forum... HackTalk
Suprised you are posting about illegal activity. I work in the software/security industry and there are cases of people going to jail for simply connecting to a network that was not encrypted without premission. It's not common, but what you are talking about is illegal to steal a signal without premission. You are better off splitting the cost with a neighor than simply stealing it.

You can flash a router with dd-wrt firmware and run a script that will scan the area and pick up the strongest signal and it is amazing how many people run WEP encryption, which can be cracked in 60 seconds or less with aircrackng and WPA1 encryption can also be broken with enough time, so there's always a signal you can get, but I would have more of an ethical issue than anything else.

I mean if your going to steal wifi why stop there, run scripts (even android apps (wifikill is the name of one of these apps) have the capability) to kick all others on the router off, so you can have the neighor's internet all to yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 AM
jfh jfh is offline
perpetual student
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 5,190
jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo View Post
and it is amazing how many people run WEP encryption, which can be cracked in 60 seconds or less with aircrackng and WPA1 encryption can also be broken with enough time, so there's always a signal you can get, but I would have more of an ethical issue than anything else.
Geez! I can hardly pick up my wifi signal from the router all the way to the living room. I have to have a signal booster. Sometimes I wonder about all the security I really need. I suppose if I lived in a high occupancy area, it would be necessary. But I feel sorry for someone desperate enough to try to steal mine anywhere outside my house.
__________________
.
- Jim

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 AM
jbo's Avatar
jbo jbo is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 692
jbo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
Geez! I can hardly pick up my wifi signal from the router all the way to the living room. I have to have a signal booster. Sometimes I wonder about all the security I really need. I suppose if I lived in a high occupancy area, it would be necessary. But I feel sorry for someone desperate enough to try to steal mine anywhere outside my house.
Well if you have a person who knows what they are doing and gets on your network, they could capture a lot of things you are typing. Possibly passwords, usernames, credit card information or anything person. I guess you can gamble or play the odds of not having anybody like that next to you. Just like some people listen to scanners for police information, most of what you do online is probably in clear text. This message board doesn't use ssl tunneling, so what's typed here would all be captured by a person who is on your network if they wanted to. I guess those are the nice people, the other people who want to download child porn or do illegal activities will use an network that's not protected. Just a year ago there was a man on a boat off the shores of Miami that was actually stealing a signal from a person who didn't have any encryption on their wifi and he was distributing child porn. The authorities stormed his apartment and put him in jail, which luckily they eventually caught the person on the boat that was picking up the signal.

The encryption won't have much to do with signal strength. It may effect throughput, but it won't effect the signal strength. So having unecrypted, wep, wpa2 or what ever wouldn't effect if a singal is reaching an area. With certain software you can increase the power and you can also build a directional antenna if you want the signal to go to a certain area farther. You can build a parabolic antenna for a router in less than 10 minutes, you really only need cardbord, sizzors and aluminum foil and you can print templates here
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

Many people think it's safer to actually have a parabolic antenna, because you can put a router in one area of the house and then point the signal to the area to receive, so the signal is not going in a direction you don't want to.

I've built large parabolic antennas to receive singals over a mile away.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
jfh jfh is offline
perpetual student
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 5,190
jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold
Default

I do have WPA2 I'm just saying that my signal is not strong enough to pick up outside my house, and not very strong inside either. Fortunately, I live in a sparse neighbor hood. No other home is close enough to me to pick up anything. I have to keep a wifi signal booster in my living room just to be able to stream Netflix. My current router does not have allowance for external antenna. Otherwise, I'd go high gain.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM
jbo's Avatar
jbo jbo is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 692
jbo is on a distinguished road
Default

@ Jfh
It's probably more than what you want to do, but you can put third party software on a lot of routers if they are using the standard chipset the two popular ones are dd-wrt and tomotoe, with it you can increase the signal and power as well as have a lot of other features. Probably more than what you want to do though
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 AM
truestorytotell's Avatar
truestorytotell truestorytotell is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 717
truestorytotell is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo View Post
Suprised you are posting about illegal activity. I work in the software/security industry and there are cases of people going to jail for simply connecting to a network that was not encrypted without premission. It's not common, but what you are talking about is illegal to steal a signal without premission. You are better off splitting the cost with a neighor than simply stealing it.

You can flash a router with dd-wrt firmware and run a script that will scan the area and pick up the strongest signal and it is amazing how many people run WEP encryption, which can be cracked in 60 seconds or less with aircrackng and WPA1 encryption can also be broken with enough time, so there's always a signal you can get, but I would have more of an ethical issue than anything else.

I mean if your going to steal wifi why stop there, run scripts (even android apps (wifikill is the name of one of these apps) have the capability) to kick all others on the router off, so you can have the neighor's internet all to yourself.

Yea i guess its kinda illegal,but im not in the US,and where i live ive never heard someone having troubles stealing internet from the neighbours...of course you aint gon walk up to them and let them know either hahahaha

and of course everyone prefer to have their own internet,but there is the money issue,and if youre not an internet addict(like me for example) then an antenna to steal a bit of internet occasionally works best...

about the rest you said i dunno about cracking and such,i just know the simple step which is connect the antenna to your usb,search for connections,find the unlocked ones,connect to the one giving the strongest signal...

and i guess you would stop there bcuz kicking everyone off a router and using it for yourself,now that would be noticable...and if the owner notices,well im sure sooner or later he will do something about it...
Reply With Quote
Reply
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lutein May Help Eyes (Computer Use) kind2creatures Vision & Hearing 2 05-12-2011 07:33 PM
Costello meets the Computer Salesman Arrowwind09 Humor 2 12-16-2009 07:12 PM
computer question? just me Chitchat 14 08-20-2009 02:50 PM
What Does the Fastest Computer in the World Do? Mad Scientest Chitchat 1 10-20-2006 02:37 PM
Olive Oil Computer Chips Jack Pine Savage Chitchat 2 07-18-2006 04:07 AM