Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 05-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Observer

Tanz76 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on taking Magnesium, Omega 3, Calcium and Iron Supplements for Anxiety?

Hi,

I'm 18 and I've just started taking Magnesium, Calcium, Omega-3 fish oil and Iron supplements for social and general anxiety/stress, to improve mood, energy and overall health. I've done a bit of research on these but have questions about when and how to take them and want to make sure it's safe to take these everyday until I feel better. Also I would like to know if anyone has any advice and experience on taking one or more of these.
I especially want to take magnesium & omega 3 but I think that calcium and iron will also be helpful. I am not deficient in iron or calcium but I know that I have slightly low levels but doctor said it wouldn't affect me but I would take them anyway. The calcium I am taking - contains calcium carbonate 1500mg and vitamin D3. Twice a day, to be taken in the morning and evening.

Iron - I am taking Floradix Iron and vitamin tablets with vitamins B1, B2, niacin, B6, B12, C, folic acid & herbal extracts. I have to take two a day before a meal.

Magnesium - The form I am taking is magnesium glycinate (chelate) each pill is 150mg, but I am taking 300mg which is two pills as directed.

Omega 3 fish oil - I am taking two pills which are 1000mg, EPA 380mg, DPA, 220mg. They also contain Vitamin b12 and folic acid. Taken with food.

So, my questions are:

1. Do I take calcium just before or after food or empty stomach?

2. When is the best time to take magnesium? With or without food? Two pills separately or at the same time?

3. When should I take omega 3 fish oil? Take two pills with food together or both seperately?

4. When should I take calcium and iron since you have to take two a day but can't be taken both at the same time, e.g in the morning and evening but iron should be taken before a meal?

5. How far apart should the supplements be taken?

6. Are there any side effects and how long will they last?

7. How long will it take roughly to see the benefits of each of them?

8. Are there any interactions with the supplements? I know calcium and iron should not be taken together and fish oil should not be taken with magnesium. What about magnesium and calcium or any other ones?

9. Is the combination of supplements too much or should I leave out calcium/iron?

It would be helpful if anyone could give me a rough plan on how and when to take these supplements and if there is anything else I should know.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Reader

DavyKOTWF will become famous soon enough

I can answer most of these.
Most vits/supplements you can just take right after a meal; it's generally the best way.
Glad you're not taking mag oxide, it's not the best kind. Citrate and Glycinate are two of the best. Best to take your Mg twice a day if you can. There's probably not enough D3 in whatever you're taking. Buy this vit separately and take 2000 to 4000 mg a day of it. The government's 400 IU a day is way too low.
I take my fish oil and cod liver oil and krill oil after meals.
If your stools start to get lose, it's probably from too much Mg. But you're probably not getting too much. If so, then just back off some. It took 2 months for me to get benefits from Mg. Then my heart beat and blood pressure stabilized; I was severely deficient in Mg.
In addition to the Mg, for relaxing, you might add Taurine. It has similar effects.
There's one other MAJOR thing you can do for social anxiety, etc. I implemented this when I was 17 and it made all the difference. PM me if you want to know it. It deal with the mental aspect in a great, honorable, reasonable way that has helped millions. I
Old 05-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Observer

naturalglow is on a distinguished road

Good tips, all. I generally prefer taking plant based minerals. I believe they assimilate better in the body.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Reader

Mike65Denver is on a distinguished road

I did the same thing you are doing when I first started a nutrition program. The origin of the problem is the food is low in nutrients and high in toxins. Supplements are not the solution. Eating right is the solution. Eat raw organic and raw grass fed just like wild animals. Believe in God and eat his Goodies.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Explorer

jaminhealth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaminhealth Send a message via MSN to jaminhealth Send a message via Yahoo to jaminhealth

Maybe I'm behind the times but why would an 18 yr old take all these supplements. And especially iron unless a doctor is really pushing them.

I love supplements but didn't start full time taking them until my later 40's. My grandgirl is 21 and into some supplements for specific issues. Personally I think too much calcium is pushed on us. I take very very little if any, get it from foods.

OP: Do you have good nutrition? Are you seeing a naturopath or the likes,

Or maybe just take a high quality multi food based vitamin.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.