Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Reader

DavyKOTWF will become famous soon enough
Default Coconut Oil - A Superfood

Okay, lately I've started taking again and upped my coconut oil. I've read the best is virgin, cold pressed, unrefined, organic, raw and in a glass jar COCONUT OIL. Am taking 1 Tbsp in my half cup coffee in the a.m. and somehow take a 2nd Tbsp in the evening, sometimes just eating it raw, put into nothing but my mouth.

(I read that virgin or extra virgin is the same thing, just a marketing tool to put the word 'extra' in there.)
Just a multitude of benefits from coconut oil and the best dose is 2 tbsp per day.

Anyone else take coconut oil?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Many, many posts on this forum about coconut oil. Many of us have been using coconut oil for years. I sometimes use it for oral oil swishing, an Aryuvedic practice.

One thing which is most important for me, is it's use to kill 93% colon cancer cells in 2 days. http://www.collective-evolution.com/...s-in-two-days/

Recently, kind2creatures posted a video of its use http://www.natmedtalk.com/showpost.p...44&postcount=1

I also use it as an underarm deodorant occasionally. And I make my own toothpaste by mixing coconut oil with baking soda to make a paste.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 01-06-2018, 09:52 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I try to take a spoonful daily, this is the brand I use.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Observer

NurseMary is on a distinguished road

So you don't worry about many empty calories you are adding?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Reader

Well now. Glad you questioned this 'empty calorie' thing. I just read a dozen webpages saying CO will raise your LDL and other not so flattering things. They said it's worse than the sat'd fats in beef and butter. Who to believe?
Well, nix on the CO for now. I have a lipid blood test in 4 weeks and want it to be pristine in the HDL, LDL and Trigs departments. So up with the Omega 3's, niacin, garlic and green tea then.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyKOTWF View Post
Well now. Glad you questioned this 'empty calorie' thing. I just read a dozen webpages saying CO will raise your LDL and other not so flattering things. They said it's worse than the sat'd fats in beef and butter. Who to believe?
Well, nix on the CO for now. I have a lipid blood test in 4 weeks and want it to be pristine in the HDL, LDL and Trigs departments. So up with the Omega 3's, niacin, garlic and green tea then.
I thought the coconut oi is good for HDL's..

What o was referring to is the calorie intake it adds to a meal... wouldn't it add 200 + calories to your daily intake?

Old 01-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Reader

Yes, I knew what your were saying.
RE: CO raises HDL - yes, I read that too, but then it seems to raise LDL. Another article said that Olive was better than CO in that it
will lower LDL and increase HDL.
It's confusing. Nevertheless, I'm going to completely lay off CO and see how my lipid panel goes. Will report back on James Dean's birthday.

edit: Okay, just listened to what seemed to be a good video. He said that seeing gym shoes or running shoes is a good indicator of someone being in good shape. But adding 5 more pairs of running shoes, won't increase how good of shape one is in. Same thing with HDL, the good choles. Higher numbers of HDL is a good indicator of better heart health, etc., but upping the HDL won't cause your heart to get any better. But raising the LDL, the bad choles., WILL and DOES cause more harm than good. So adding a lot of CO, probably does more harm than good; ingesting it that is. Olive oil does both; lowers LDL and raises HDL, so it's a better choice. So it's better to concentrate on lowering the LDL instead of trying to raise the HDL. That's what the vid said anyway.

Also, it seems flaxseed and chia seeds do better to contribute good fats and Omega 3's than CO anyway; with way lower calories. Pffft, I should have named this thread Flaxseeds and Chia seeds - the Super Foods.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyKOTWF View Post
Yes, I knew what your were saying.
RE: CO raises HDL - yes, I read that too, but then it seems to raise LDL. Another article said that Olive was better than CO in that it
will lower LDL and increase HDL.
It's confusing. Nevertheless, I'm going to completely lay off CO and see how my lipid panel goes. Will report back on James Dean's birthday.

edit: Okay, just listened to what seemed to be a good video. He said that seeing gym shoes or running shoes is a good indicator of someone being in good shape. But adding 5 more pairs of running shoes, won't increase how good of shape one is in. Same thing with HDL, the good choles. Higher numbers of HDL is a good indicator of better heart health, etc., but upping the HDL won't cause your heart to get any better. But raising the LDL, the bad choles., WILL and DOES cause more harm than good. So adding a lot of CO, probably does more harm than good; ingesting it that is. Olive oil does both; lowers LDL and raises HDL, so it's a better choice. So it's better to concentrate on lowering the LDL instead of trying to raise the HDL. That's what the vid said anyway.

Also, it seems flaxseed and chia seeds do better to contribute good fats and Omega 3's than CO anyway; with way lower calories. Pffft, I should have named this thread Flaxseeds and Chia seeds - the Super Foods.
So the interesting thing about CO is that the stuff never spoils.
Where flax and olive oil will go rancid sitting out at room temp. Rancid oils are really bad for us...
Even flax should be refrigerated once you grind it.

Coconut oil is supposed to be really good for the brain.

I was curious if others worry about the calories it adds to the diet.

The one thing I like to do with it is put a tablespoon in the blender with coffee and a scoop of protein for a power coffee. (Keep the carb count below 2g) and it makes a great power snack/small meal.

If you want to go back to eating a carb meal next wait 3 hrs before changing meal types...

It's a cool concept - have you ever heard of Trim Healthy Mamma? I learned a lot from those gals...

Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMary View Post
So you don't worry about many empty calories you are adding?
I'm not on any strict diet and never was a calorie counter, so it doesn't bother me. The coconut oil I use is only 130 calories per tablespoon, and I don't consider that 'empty' calories because coconut oil is beneficial for so many things. Empty calories to me would be in beer or a bagel.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
I'm not on any strict diet and never was a calorie counter, so it doesn't bother me. The coconut oil I use is only 130 calories per tablespoon, and I don't consider that 'empty' calories because coconut oil is beneficial for so many things. Empty calories to me would be in beer or a bagel.
Kind2 I tend to agree but wondered what others thought...

Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Observer

monajara is on a distinguished road

Hi there, coconut oils is good for health.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.