Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

Old 11-22-2017, 08:18 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Magnesium Option for Depression

Magnesium may be a safe option for depression, more here. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/mag...cal-depression

Quote:
Magnesium: The Safe First Line of Defense for Clinical Depression

Posted on:
Thursday, November 16th 2017 at 1:15 pm
Written By:
Ali Le Vere, B.S., B.S. - Senior Researcher-Gre...

The science supporting the efficacy of magnesium for major depression and other psychiatric disorders, testing for magnesium deficiency, and which forms and dosages are most effective.

Depression, a life-threatening psychiatric disorder, lies at the confluence of biochemical, hormonal, immunological, and neurodegenerative variables, which intersect to generate the pro-inflammatory state with which depression is associated.

A major public health issue, depression is estimated to become one of the top three contributors to the global burden of diseases within a few years. Not only does depression consume a sizable portion of health care expenditures, but it is considered to be an independent risk factor for metabolic, cardiovascular, and neuropsychiatric disorders (1).

Current treatments are predicated upon a misguided serotonin theory of depression, and are accompanied by a laundry list of deleterious side effects ranging from sexual dysfunction to homicidality (2, 3, 4).

Antidepressant medications likewise significantly increase the risk of all-cause mortality, or death from any cause, as well as heart disease, leading researchers to deem this class of pharmaceuticals as harmful to the general population (5). This, in combination with data indicating that antidepressants are clinically equivalent to placebo, render them an unfavorable option (6), especially considering that they offer little in the way of resolving the root cause.

Magnesium: The Miracle Mineral

Rather than resorting to psychotropic drugs, it would be prudent to explore whether magnesium (Mg) supplementation improves depression, since this essential mineral is implicated in the pathophysiology of this disorder.

Magnesium may be indeed branded as miraculous given its essentiality as a cofactor to over three hundred enzymatic reactions (7). It is second only to potassium in terms of the predominant intracellular cations, or ions residing in cells that harbor a positive charge (7).

Magnesium is fundamentally involved in protein production, synthesis of nucleic acids, cell growth and division, and maintenance of the delicate electrolyte composition of our cells (7). It also imparts stability to the membranes of the energy factories of our cells called mitochondria (7).

As articulated by researchers, “The physiological consequences of these biochemical activities include Mg's central roles in the control of neuronal activity, cardiac excitability, neuromuscular transmission, muscular contraction, vasomotor tone, and blood pressure” (7).

The biological effects of magnesium are widespread. When deficient, magnesium is correlated with systemic inflammation. Not only does magnesium sufficiency promote cardiovascular health, relaxing the smooth muscles that comprise blood vessels and preventing high levels of vascular resistance that cause hypertension, but it also plays a role in musculoskeletal health and prevents sarcopenia, osteoporosis, and fractures (8). Magnesium is essential to regulation of sleep (9) and vitamin D metabolism (10) as well as neural plasticity and cognitive function.

However, food processing and industrial agriculture, including monoculture crop practices and the use of magnesium-devoid fertilizers, have led to soil erosion and depletion of magnesium content in our food (7). Magnesium is likewise removed from most drinking water supplies, rendering magnesium deficiency an inevitability (11).

As such, our daily intake of magnesium has steadily declined from 500 milligrams (mg) per day to 175 mg per day (7). The nutrient-poor, energy-dense dietary patterns which have come to dominate the industrialized landscape are also insufficient in the fiber-rich fruits and vegetables which contain magnesium.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Reader

jaminhealth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaminhealth Send a message via MSN to jaminhealth Send a message via Yahoo to jaminhealth

I take 400mg a few times a day usually. Various types.

But from 1991 to 2002 I was in a clinical depression and I believed it was sluggish thyroid but could not get it dx'd...lab numbers were good for the docs. Finally my D.O. back in 2002 put me on Armour and in 4 days the long depression lifted....I've been on a natural thyroid med ever since.

Then in 2006 a lowness came on and found how VIt D deficient I was. Got working on that.

And I still do take higher doses of magnesium daily and it helps with bowels too.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:43 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I agree, the mag citrate I use daily helps with muscles, stress and bowel movements. Having had an issue with hemorrhoids, internal and external, I found that products like Metamucil (psyllium husks) and mag citrate helped a great deal. Also, and occasional Cascara Sagrada once or twice a month.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Reader

jaminhealth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaminhealth Send a message via MSN to jaminhealth Send a message via Yahoo to jaminhealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
I agree, the mag citrate I use daily helps with muscles, stress and bowel movements. Having had an issue with hemorrhoids, internal and external, I found that products like Metamucil (psyllium husks) and mag citrate helped a great deal. Also, and occasional Cascara Sagrada once or twice a month.
I too had hemms over my life but the magnesium up dosing has cleared them up but good. My bowel history is more on the sluggish side vs too loose. jam

PS: I also added Ox Bile to my regime about 6 months ago and it's helping so much with easier movements.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:03 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Same here with the sluggish, but acted on it because I didn't want to suffer from Diverticulitis, like someone I knew from work suffered from. They put him on Metamucil asap, and it helped. Gotta keep things moving, or there's trouble.

Tags
depression, magnesium
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.