Old 09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down As Seen On TV

RE: As Seen on TV "Aqua Globes"

I recently bought a couple of these to help monitor the watering of two houseplants in 10" pots, a Schefflera and a Chinese Evergreen.

I don't have a "green thumb", and if anything I tend to over-water plants, as opposed to actual neglect.

Well...the Chinese Evergreen had just been watered a day or two before, so I just filled the Globe thinking it would release water as needed over a week or two. The Aqua Globe was empty several HOURS later.

The Schefflera was fairly dry, so I watered it and let it drain before inserting the Aqua Globe. The Globe slowly emptied within 24 hours.

If anything, these (not so attractive) globes will help me to kill my plants with kindness, LOL! I don't think these would be the answer to care on vacations, since they empty so quickly!

Anyone using these successfully, that can share any tips or tricks??
Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

I would think that they would lose water quickly anyway. However, here is a site that tests these things as-seen-on-tv; and here is what they say about these globes. They seem to like them. I'm not convinced.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...html?series=64
The Claim:

The Aqua Globe, a "handblown glass ornament that waters your plants for you," contains a colored glass bulb attached to an elongated stem. You fill the bulb with water, jam the stem into a houseplant's soil, and the globe releases water as needed by the dripful. "You can't over-water, you can't under-water...plants stay perfectly watered for up to two weeks, and you don't have to lift a finger!" Small or large houseplants, hanging plants, patio plants, and "even finicky exotic plants" get the Goldilocks hydration.

The Test:

We tried to use an Aqua Globe to rescue a desiccated, neglected indoor ivy.

The Verdict:

Works well if you're going on vacation—just don't forget to refill the Globe once you get back.

The Reality:

Aqua Globes provide some relief to the pressure of plant parenthood, it's true, and we confess we've let a few perennials perish on our watch. But we've come to expect a certain "set it and forget it" convenience with these TV products, and if we have a complaint about the Aqua Globe, it's that it does not absolve the user of his responsibilities as much as we would like. You do have to refill the globe, after all—and it's not hard to imagine more than a few empty Aqua Globes out there.

But having invested in the Aqua Globe, we found a renewed interest in the welfare of our little dicot. We monitored the Globe judiciously, refilled it within two weeks as instructed, and we have to say the plant is looking quite vivacious. As the soil dries, it releases oxygen into the globe. The ad claims this infiltration pushes the water back down the stem, giving the plant just the right amount to drink. A finger-test of the soil found it bone-dry before the treatment; afterward, it felt like a perfect chocolate cake: Positively peaty.

So in light of the fact that the product appears to work as advertised, the decision to buy or not comes down to how it, well, appears. The blown glass look bears some resemblance to a smoking product sold "for tobacco use only." The ad's claim that it's "such a simple solution—yet so beautiful" may ring truer in the eye that's beheld a few Phish shows in the past few years than the average plant owner. Aesthetics aside, our only other gripe was that the stem occasionally became clogged with soil as it dug its way in. The instructions recommend using "a small stick or tool" to bore a path for the Globe prior to insertion, and that does seem to work.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Old 09-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Lecturer

EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Smile Aqua globe

LOL! I fell for buying 2 of the Aqua Globes too; they do seem to work okay
but are hard as hello to fill/refill, especially once the long tube gets soil
stuck in it. To me, they're more trouble than they're worth.
If I wanted to use something to water plants while away, I'd try a 2 liter
plastic soft drink bottle, punching tiny holes in them so they will drain slowly.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post
LOL! I fell for buying 2 of the Aqua Globes too; they do seem to work okay
but are hard as hello to fill/refill, especially once the long tube gets soil
stuck in it. To me, they're more trouble than they're worth.
If I wanted to use something to water plants while away, I'd try a 2 liter
plastic soft drink bottle, punching tiny holes in them so they will drain slowly.
Thanks EarlyBird! Just got back from a long vacation, and decided before leaving, not to use my AquaGlobes
Didn't want to kill my plants with kindness, and have them yellowed and drooping. Turns out they did pretty well with just a good soaking before I left!

I'll experiment with the Globes for awhile, but the 2 liter bottle sounds like it would work better, maybe not as pretty...NOT!! LOLOL!!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Admin
Wiki Editor

Matrix has a spectacular aura aboutMatrix has a spectacular aura about

That's a long vacation, k2c. Glad to see you are back and happy.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
That's a long vacation, k2c. Glad to see you are back and happy.
Thank you Kevin! It's good to get away from the computer once in awhile, and get back to nature! I tried to use the thanks button, but it denied me access, maybe too many per thread? It's great to be back!