Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Dentistry

Old 02-23-2017, 10:29 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Peroxide for Mouthwash is Harmful to the Teeth

I was using Hydrogen Peroxide for a short time years ago as a mouthwash as an alternative to the over the counter alcohol mouthwashes.

The natural mouthwashes like Tea Tree didn't work well for me, and my gums were getting worse. But I ended up going back to using Listerine as recommended by my dentist to slow down gum recession.

More info here on Peroxide and teeth. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/hyd...-harmful-teeth

Quote:
Is Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash Harmful for Teeth?

Posted on:
Sunday, January 5th 2014 at 9:30 am
Written By:
Eleni Roumeliotou

Hydrogen peroxide is praised for its antiseptic and healing properties. In fact, there is a new urban myth proclaiming that hydrogen peroxide is universally beneficial for all the body organs and tissues.

Regarding dental health, this couldn't be further from the truth as evidence shows that hydrogen peroxide is actually toxic for the cells in the inner part of the teeth, also known as the dental pulp.

Without a doubt, hydrogen peroxide does a really good job at bleaching and disinfecting teeth; hydrogen peroxide- based bleaching gels are essential for dentists and there is solid evidence demonstrating the efficacy of these protocols. On the other hand, there is a lot of uncontrolled information and advice, recommending hydrogen peroxide as an ideal everyday mouthwash.

Taking into account that over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide concentrations can be as high as the formulas used by dentists in bleaching sessions (20-30%) and the growing popularity of hydrogen peroxide as an alternative therapy, the danger of potential long-term teeth damage by using high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide as a casual mouthwash are unknown, underestimated and largely under-discussed.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Me too. Used peroxide for a while. Then I went back to the alcohol based products.

But now, I'm using aloe vera. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/alo...dontal-disease The same here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24603910

I use a product called "Natural Dentist". I can't tell you how well it works yet. Next dentist appointment in April. This mouthwash can be found at WalMart, Walgreens, etc.

Or make your own Mouthwash: If drinking aloe vera juice, you can simply swish it around in your mouth for a while to benefit gums. You can also make a homemade aloe mouthwash by mixing 1 cup aloe vera juice, cup distilled water, 2 teaspoons baking soda, and 10-20 drops of peppermint essential oil.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

And don't forget, swishing coconut oil is supposed to be good for gums as well.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:26 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Jfh, I take coconut oil every day and do swish it frequently, also Lily of the Desert Aloe Juice, I drink some daily for benefits to the esophagus and other things, also swish with that.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Lecturer

pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough

You could use hydrogen peroxide on a temporary basis, however for long term use I would suggest either colloidal silver and/or distilled water with a few drops of oil of oregano.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

Hydrogen peroxide is hard on your gums and can irritate sores and cankers. The same is true for fluoride and the dirty secret about fluoride that they don't want you to know is that it dulls your teeth and you can never have really white teeth if you use fluoride toothpastes or mouthwashes. The best mouthwash according to dentists is Biotene, but it contains some chemicals to improve shelf life. You can make a great mouthwash at home using half RO or bottled water, then half aloe vera and then add a few spoonfuls of xylitol. Xylitol hardens the enamel like fluoride and has the unique property of killing bad bacteria while leaving good bacteria alone. The aloe vera sooths the gums and the combination helps restore the natural PH balance of your mouth.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 AM
perpetual student

k2c, at least listerine does have healthy stuff, except maybe the ethanol. The active ingredients listed on Listerine bottles are essential oils which are menthol (mint) 0.042%, thymol (thyme) 0.064%, methyl salicylate (wintergreen) 0.06%, and eucalyptol (eucalyptus) 0.092%.

We've posted the healing benefits of thyme several times.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

I've been eating a lot of Wint O Green lifesavers lately, wonder if they're harming or helping my teeth and gums.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:41 AM
perpetual student

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
I've been eating a lot of Wint O Green lifesavers lately, wonder if they're harming or helping my teeth and gums.
There's nothing in them that would help any part of you, other than breath odor. I personally would avoid them due to the corn syrup. I'm having enough trouble getting rid of belly fat, and corn syrup of any amount would be detrimental. They don't say what the other sugar is.

Actually, 2 pieces would be about my limit for sugar per day. About 7 grams.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Thanks Jfh, I haven't really looked at the ingredients, but from all you say I won't be buying anymore. When I was at work I chewed sugarless gum and always had some kind of mint in my pocket. Since I retired I stopped that habit, but recently desired the wintergreen flavor. My husband hates the smell of that mint.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 AM
perpetual student

k2c, next time you are at Natural Grocers Country Cottage, check out Spry Gum and Mints. They are made with xylitol. Very healthy for teeth and are known to stop the tartar cycle.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

I'll try the mints, thanks. I already tried the gum, tastes horrible IMO, and hard as a rock.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.