Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Alternative Therapies

Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Observer

lookagain3 is on a distinguished road
Default does oil pulling remove toxins?

I keep hearing all this stuff about how great oil pulling is, which is really annoying because these people's clams are never backed up by research.

Apparently it's supposed to be good for removing toxins from the mouth, which seems to make no sense. How does that work? Are there any peer reviewed articles or studies showing that this is true?

I did find a couple studies about how it treats gingivitis and gets rid of bad breath, which would probably also be true if you swished water in your mouth for 10 minutes.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

I have no proof to offer, but decided to try it to help my gingivitis problem. My best friend decided to try it too. I've heard one is supposed to do this for 20 minutes, but both of us have found that after about five minutes we start to gag and have to stop and spit the coconut oil out. My hygienist says five minutes may be better than nothing. Could there be enough toxins after only five minutes to cause the gagging or is something else going on? I'd like to understand and perhaps be able to do this for a longer time.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:56 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

We have several posts on this forum regarding oil pulling. Here is my favorite site for the info. http://www.oilpulling.com/

Most people like sesame oil, because it is light. I like coconut oil, because of all the antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral benefits, but it is heavy.

To answer you question though, 5 minutes is a good start, but continue daily to reach 20. I find it boring by the time I reach 20, and my mouth is full of saliva by then. Just go as long as you can.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Explorer

jbaerbock is on a distinguished road

I don't put much stock in "toxin removal" therapies in general due to many articles I've read over the years. But as with everything homeopathic, results vary by individual and their respective bodies. If it isn't outright dangerous, try it and see if it works for you.

Tags
alternative therapies, oil pulling, teeth, toxins
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.