Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Exercise & Dieting

Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Reader

uniden is on a distinguished road
Default I want to be fructovegetarian/vegefructarian

I want to eat a diet consisting solely of vegetables and fruits. I know it sounds extreme, but I think I want to do it anyway. I could get carbohydrates from squashes and essential fats from avocados. The only macro nutrient I would be low in is protein. Leafy green vegetables contain all of the amino acids, but not protein in larger amounts. Also, protein is the least important macro molecule. We should be getting 50% of our calories from complex carbs, 30% from essential fats, and only 20% from protein. Therefore, starches are the most important, healthy fats are next, and then protein.

Anyway, I just thought I would put this goal of mine out there.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 06-08-2018, 01:19 AM
Observer

healthydiet is on a distinguished road

I'd love to try that too but hopefully me mental will will help me to be convinced that I am full despite of eating less!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:18 AM
Observer

Thaboz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniden View Post
I want to eat a diet consisting solely of vegetables and fruits. I know it sounds extreme, but I think I want to do it anyway.
Having changed to a more plant based diet years go, due to past health complications, I can say confidently that your decision to do that is a great one because a fruit and vegetable diet will give you all the required energy and health.

What I found about eating a plant based diet is that it causes you to be creative when combining food groups which is what you need in these diets anyway.

This is because you need to combine different fruits and vegetables to get your complete nutrients and proteins.

Wishing you all the best with your new diet. Keep us posted on how it goes
Old 07-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Observer

Adaptogen is on a distinguished road

There are many nutrients that can potentially be deficient or lacking with a strict fruit/vegetable diet such as vitamin b12, vitamin D, longchain omega-3 fatty acids(DHA), iodine, zinc, selenium, calcium and so on.

Whilst avocado's provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, they aren't great sources of omega-3 fats.

Which is why vegans are often recommended to eat the likes of flax seed, chia seed, walnuts, which are good sources of short-chain omega-3 fats(ALA).
Old 07-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Observer

KCtheNatural is on a distinguished road

CoQ10 is another nutrient that you may not get enough of, as high amounts are only found in animal products. You may want to speak with a dietitian who has experience with vegan diets to ensure that your nutritional needs are being met and that you are supplementing appropriately.