Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > General Discussions

Old 01-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Observer

kjgregor is on a distinguished road
Default Alternatives to anxiety and blood pressure meds

I don't like taking the doctor prescribed meds any suggestions on alternative methods.. I have used essential oils and I am walking daily, the walking helps alot.. Thanks in advance..
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Reader

DavyKOTWF is on a distinguished road

Hello KJ. You may be low on magnesium, potassium, calcium, K2, Omega 3's, good Sodium, vitamin C.
Limit intake of alcohol and processed foods. And try the following:

1) Take a good magnesium(Mg) - might start out with Mg Citrate. Take 3 times a day, about 250-300mg each time, per day. It took a while to get low on Mg, so it make take a couple of months to do its thing. Don't get Mg Oxide, it's junk.

2) Take Potassium Citrate. It's hard to get all your Pot. in foods, but you can try. Eat 3 bananas a day, a big potato a day. Daily intake of Pot. should be about 4700mg. Everyone's heard, cut down on your salt/sodium, for high blood pressure. The problem may be more in potassium deficiency. Most people get say a 2:1 ratio of sodium to salt. Many get more than that. The safer and more healthy ratio, should be 3:1 of Potassium to Sodium! You should get 3 times the amount of Pot. to Sodium. A healthy amount is 4700mg of potassium and 1600mg of sodium. (some say up to 2300mg of sodium...but the important thing is MORE POTASSIUM) It's the ratio that's important.

3) Take a Calcium supplement but take D3 and K2,K7 along with it and the above. Around 700 to 1000mg per day of Calcium and 5000 to 10,000 IU of D3.

4) Omega 3's. Take 2-3 tsp of cod liver oil and some Krill Oils. Salmon would help too.

5) Let me throw in, take a good quality MultiVitamin with B Complex and Minerals. Not the cheap stuff like Centum or Von a Day.

6) You may be getting too much bad sodium; regular table salt plus ANY fast food items and canned goods and processed foods. All, especially fast food, contain gigantic portions of bad sodium. GOOD sodium is what you find in Himayalan Pink Salt or Real Salt. Ditch the bad ones, start using the good sodium. 2000mg to 3000mg is very good.

7) Vitamin C, not the cheap synthetic kind found in most bottles at WalMart, but it should say camu camu or rosehips for the good quality C.

One should take all these together as they work together with each other. If you take too much D3 without Mg, it will deplete your Mg levels. Too much Calcium without Mg or D3 or K2 may send all the Calcium to your arteries. Too much Sodium and not enough Potassium throws your body way out of balance. These are examples without going into everything. Just take them all and in 2 or 3 months, you may be able to drop the meds. I did. It has and is working for me.

When I first started, I was only taking, say Mg, nothing else. Or another time, only taking D3, nothing else. After 3 weeks, seeing no progress, I quit. This time, (I'm taking all these PLUS a multivitamin, VM Prime by Solgar is a great one) and after 2 months, my blood pressure is normal, typically in the 125/76 range.

99% of doctors only want to give you drugs. That's like putting a piece of tape over the engine light warning red light or your car, hiding the problem, not fixing it. They will keep experimenting on you and giving your drugs for the rest of your life. They don't like to talk about the multitude of horrible side effects that are often worse than the malady.

All these will most likely help anxiety too, as well as curing insomnia.

Let us know if you have any other questions regarding the above. Don't know how old you are...a man named Jack Lalanne took 40+ supplements a day and lived healthily to 96. So the above 8 supplements are not that many. Yes, one should get most of their nutrients from live food, but it's extremely hard to do that. Thus, supplements.

Educating yourself is always great too. Read The Magnesium Miracle by Dr. Dean. Miraculous Results of D3 by Bowles. The High Blood Pressure Hoax by Dr. Rogers. Everything you always Wanted to Know about Potassium but Were too Tired to Ask, by Dr. Kamen. These would be a tremendous start.

I have not been formerly mis-educated and not a doctor. But all the above has worked for me.

Almost forgot: Google Cronometer.com It tracks all your vitamins and minerals, etc and helps you get the right amounts of everything. You can do it for a week to get the right amounts and to train yourself, then can stop tracking. But tracking everything for a little while is a big help.

Last edited by DavyKOTWF; 01-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:32 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

DavyKOTWF has great advise there. Just a few things to consider if you are already on BP meds.

Most doctors, especially cardiologists, will give you an ACE inhibitor. This med causes the kidneys to sequester potassium. So, they indicate potassium in the diet will be no problem, but supplementation can cause hyperkalemia, which can cause abnormal heart rhythms. It would be best to wean yourself from ACE inhibitor very slowly as you increase potassium.

Most doctors, especially cardiologists, will give you a calcium channel blocker. This med will help to keep calcium from hardening the arteries. Magnesium relaxes the smooth muscles and those muscles are inside the arteries. Magnesium is a calcuim antagonist, making it a natural calcium channel blocker. This is a good thing. Vitamin D3 can defeat this process, as one of its functions is to move calcium into the body. This is not bad, but you must consider that too much too fast will confuse the process. Vitamin K2 will help balance the activity of vitamin D3. Vitamin K2 will actually relax those arteries, which is a good thing.

So, be sure to keep things in balance while you do this regimen. So when DavyKOTWF says to take all these supplements together, pay attention. Be sure to wean yourself from the drugs slowly. Never stop drugs immediately. Maybe start with taking them every other day for a while. And test your blood pressure as you go. Every day if possible. Find an affordable BP monitor.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 01-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Observer

NurseMary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgregor View Post
I don't like taking the doctor prescribed meds any suggestions on alternative methods.. I have used essential oils and I am walking daily, the walking helps alot.. Thanks in advance..
A good Calcium, Magnesium Potassium with Vitamin D is a good start. I can suggest one if you like...

Kyolic 109 BP support supplement is good.

Avoiding sugar & white flour products will go a long way... increasing intake of green & raw veggies.

Oh 2 drops of lemon essential oil in your water 2x a day is very good to start detoxing the body slowly.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Observer

neotheone is on a distinguished road

Stay well hydrated, 64oz water(not as much as it sounds).

Exercise is great for both anxiety and BP. Weight loss helped me beat HBP.

Reduce/avoid salt-sugar-fat. Helpful supplements: mag citrate, omega3 and B vitamins.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyKOTWF View Post
Hello KJ. You may be low on magnesium, potassium, calcium, K2, Omega 3's, good Sodium, vitamin C.
Limit intake of alcohol and processed foods. And try the following:

1) Take a good magnesium(Mg) - might start out with Mg Citrate. Take 3 times a day, about 250-300mg each time, per day. It took a while to get low on Mg, so it make take a couple of months to do its thing. Don't get Mg Oxide, it's junk.

2) Take Potassium Citrate. It's hard to get all your Pot. in foods, but you can try. Eat 3 bananas a day, a big potato a day. Daily intake of Pot. should be about 4700mg. Everyone's heard, cut down on your salt/sodium, for high blood pressure. The problem may be more in potassium deficiency. Most people get say a 2:1 ratio of sodium to salt. Many get more than that. The safer and more healthy ratio, should be 3:1 of Potassium to Sodium! You should get 3 times the amount of Pot. to Sodium. A healthy amount is 4700mg of potassium and 1600mg of sodium. (some say up to 2300mg of sodium...but the important thing is MORE POTASSIUM) It's the ratio that's important.

3) Take a Calcium supplement but take D3 and K2,K7 along with it and the above. Around 700 to 1000mg per day of Calcium and 5000 to 10,000 IU of D3.

4) Omega 3's. Take 2-3 tsp of cod liver oil and some Krill Oils. Salmon would help too.

5) Let me throw in, take a good quality MultiVitamin with B Complex and Minerals. Not the cheap stuff like Centum or Von a Day.

6) You may be getting too much bad sodium; regular table salt plus ANY fast food items and canned goods and processed foods. All, especially fast food, contain gigantic portions of bad sodium. GOOD sodium is what you find in Himayalan Pink Salt or Real Salt. Ditch the bad ones, start using the good sodium. 2000mg to 3000mg is very good.

7) Vitamin C, not the cheap synthetic kind found in most bottles at WalMart, but it should say camu camu or rosehips for the good quality C.

One should take all these together as they work together with each other. If you take too much D3 without Mg, it will deplete your Mg levels. Too much Calcium without Mg or D3 or K2 may send all the Calcium to your arteries. Too much Sodium and not enough Potassium throws your body way out of balance. These are examples without going into everything. Just take them all and in 2 or 3 months, you may be able to drop the meds. I did. It has and is working for me.

When I first started, I was only taking, say Mg, nothing else. Or another time, only taking D3, nothing else. After 3 weeks, seeing no progress, I quit. This time, (I'm taking all these PLUS a multivitamin, VM Prime by Solgar is a great one) and after 2 months, my blood pressure is normal, typically in the 125/76 range.

99% of doctors only want to give you drugs. That's like putting a piece of tape over the engine light warning red light or your car, hiding the problem, not fixing it. They will keep experimenting on you and giving your drugs for the rest of your life. They don't like to talk about the multitude of horrible side effects that are often worse than the malady.

All these will most likely help anxiety too, as well as curing insomnia.

Let us know if you have any other questions regarding the above. Don't know how old you are...a man named Jack Lalanne took 40+ supplements a day and lived healthily to 96. So the above 8 supplements are not that many. Yes, one should get most of their nutrients from live food, but it's extremely hard to do that. Thus, supplements.

Educating yourself is always great too. Read The Magnesium Miracle by Dr. Dean. Miraculous Results of D3 by Bowles. The High Blood Pressure Hoax by Dr. Rogers. Everything you always Wanted to Know about Potassium but Were too Tired to Ask, by Dr. Kamen. These would be a tremendous start.

I have not been formerly mis-educated and not a doctor. But all the above has worked for me.

Almost forgot: Google Cronometer.com It tracks all your vitamins and minerals, etc and helps you get the right amounts of everything. You can do it for a week to get the right amounts and to train yourself, then can stop tracking. But tracking everything for a little while is a big help.
Thank you so much for the info.. vitamins are my go to and I've been using alot of what you suggested but not always together.. I will definitely give that a try.. I have a bp monitor and have been keeping track, it's not much better with the bp meds but when I add exercise to it it helps..
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
DavyKOTWF has great advise there. Just a few things to consider if you are already on BP meds.

Most doctors, especially cardiologists, will give you an ACE inhibitor. This med causes the kidneys to sequester potassium. So, they indicate potassium in the diet will be no problem, but supplementation can cause hyperkalemia, which can cause abnormal heart rhythms. It would be best to wean yourself from ACE inhibitor very slowly as you increase potassium.

Most doctors, especially cardiologists, will give you a calcium channel blocker. This med will help to keep calcium from hardening the arteries. Magnesium relaxes the smooth muscles and those muscles are inside the arteries. Magnesium is a calcuim antagonist, making it a natural calcium channel blocker. This is a good thing. Vitamin D3 can defeat this process, as one of its functions is to move calcium into the body. This is not bad, but you must consider that too much too fast will confuse the process. Vitamin K2 will help balance the activity of vitamin D3. Vitamin K2 will actually relax those arteries, which is a good thing.

So, be sure to keep things in balance while you do this regimen. So when DavyKOTWF says to take all these supplements together, pay attention. Be sure to wean yourself from the drugs slowly. Never stop drugs immediately. Maybe start with taking them every other day for a while. And test your blood pressure as you go. Every day if possible. Find an affordable BP monitor.
Thank you. I'm on a diurectic bp meds hydrochlorothiazide and will start weaning myself off of them. I have D3, calcium, Omega, magnesium and b2 and a good multivitamin I spread them out through but from the yours and the above I should take all at one time correct? I will purchase a K2 and potassium. I've been taking alot of these to help eliminate my migraines..
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMary View Post
A good Calcium, Magnesium Potassium with Vitamin D is a good start. I can suggest one if you like...

Kyolic 109 BP support supplement is good.

Avoiding sugar & white flour products will go a long way... increasing intake of green & raw veggies.

Oh 2 drops of lemon essential oil in your water 2x a day is very good to start detoxing the body slowly.
Thank you.. I will look into that..
Old 01-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
Stay well hydrated, 64oz water(not as much as it sounds).

Exercise is great for both anxiety and BP. Weight loss helped me beat HBP.

Reduce/avoid salt-sugar-fat. Helpful supplements: mag citrate, omega3 and B vitamins.
I have three 32 ounce water bottles I try to drink two a day and I try to get in a walking session of 10000 steps, I notice the walking really helps.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Reader

DavyKOTWF is on a distinguished road

Yessir, KJ. Take them all at one time. Some have a short half life (means they don't last in the body long) and so they wouldn't have a chance to complement others. Like K2 or a form of it, called MK4, has a very short half life, like 1 hour. But it's 1st cousin, MK7, also a form of K2, has a much longer half life. Anyway...take them all together.
Get the Life Extension K2 bottle, it has MK4 and MK7.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.