Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vision & Hearing

Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Lecturer

liverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Aspirin and Wet Macular Degeneration

http://douglassreport.com/2011/10/28...robs-eyesight/

Quote:
The ‘wonder’ drug that can rob you of your eyesight

Can we PLEASE put the daily aspirin nonsense out of its misery once and for all?
There’s literally a truckload of research on what that one-a-day painkiller will do to people, especially seniors — and none of it’s good.

Here’s the latest: Seniors who take a daily aspirin have DOUBLE the risk of losing their vision, possibly permanently and completely, to the “wet” form of late-stage macular degeneration.

Some doctors and researchers say they’re surprised by the link, but I’m not — and not just because I’m not surprised by any risk attached to aspirin these days.

Aspirin is a powerful blood thinner, and the wet form of macular degeneration is caused by leaking blood vessels in the eyes.
See the connection here?

The researchers say the aspirin doesn’t seem to cause wet AMD — only worsen it.

But you try making that distinction to a senior going blind.

There are much better ways to thin the blood and protect the heart. Fish oil can do both and even SAVE your eyes to boot: Repeated studies have found a daily omega-3 fatty acid supplement can actually slash your AMD risk — both wet and dry — by a third or more, while lowering your risk of a heart attack.

Aspirin, on the other hand, can dramatically boost your odds of serious internal bleeding problems while doing little to nothing for your heart health. And along with vision loss, studies have linked daily aspirin use to hearing loss, tinnitus, sexual dysfunction and more.

And this is supposed to be the “wonder” drug? The real wonder is why it’s still around.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Thanks liverock for that important information, another reason not to even consider the daily aspirin ritual.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Standing at the Portal

Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

And of course you dont know that you have the predisposition or have wet macular degeneration until the symptoms are severe enough to drive you into the doctors office... so you could at this point have been on aspirin for years!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Lecturer

liverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of light

........................On the other hand Aspirin is now shown to help prevent cancer.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/...ch&key=aspirin
Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Whatever aspirin can do, nattokinase can do better, safer, and far more beneficial.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

Here are Dr. Oz's recommendations for what to take daily if you want to live to be 100 years old: a multivitamin, 1,000 IU vitamin D, 600 mg DHA omega-3, and TWO 80 mg. tablets of aspirin.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:19 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH View Post
Here are Dr. Oz's recommendations for what to take daily if you want to live to be 100 years old: a multivitamin, 1,000 IU vitamin D, 600 mg DHA omega-3, and TWO 80 mg. tablets of aspirin.
I don't know about 100 years old , lol. The DHA and D3 I agree with, but not the aspirin. Dr. Oz also recommends annual flu shots.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

I don't think my retirement account will last for me to be 100.

However, I would certainly take more vitamin D3, 5000IU per day. I agree with the omega3. I would avoid aspirin and substitute that with nattokinase and possibly serrapeptase.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Observer

Juby is on a distinguished road
Question early dry macular degeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
I don't think my retirement account will last for me to be 100.

However, I would certainly take more vitamin D3, 5000IU per day. I agree with the omega3. I would avoid aspirin and substitute that with nattokinase and possibly serrapeptase.
I am trying to find out if it is safe to take serrapeptase if you have dry macular degeneration. I would like to try it for my knee pain but I can't seem to find out anything about it in connection with macular degeneration. I know I'm not suppose to take aspirin. Does anyone know where I could find this information?

Tags
aspirin danger, eyesight, wet macular degeneration
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.