Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > General Discussions

Old 11-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about
Default 5-HTP? Dr. Oz makes it sound like a miracle!

An article by Dr. Oz in the November 30 issue of First for Women claims that 5-HTP will cure carb cravings, improve mood, help you lose weight, improve sleep, help joint pain, migraines and tension headaches, ease IBS-related stomach discomfort, give you more energy, and reduction in menopausal hot flashes. Great, but somehow I had my doubts so I Googled dangers of 5-HTP and found all sorts of side effects it can have, although mostly if used with prescription antidepressants and/or too high a dose. If it is actually helpful, I could sure use some help in pretty much all of these supposed benefits. Any personal experiences or input, pro or con?
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 AM
Reader

Audi will become famous soon enoughAudi will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't take Dr Oz too seriously, he regularly promotes some vitamin or herb as a miraculous cure for everything.

I tried 5-HTP it didn't do anything at all for me,no pro's or con's.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:48 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

5-HTP definitely helps me sleep. A better quality of sleep than melatonin.

This is always a problem, when people overdose. They think more is better. They get into trouble and severe side effects, then blame it on the drug. Makes it bad for publicity. Like the guy who took way too much colloidal silver and turned blue. This was publicized, without saying that he overdosed (on purpose). This scared people away from the use of colloidal siiver, a real miracle supplement. One in which bacteria cannot find a resistance.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Explorer

Firekin4 will become famous soon enough

I'm always very skeptical of even "naturally sourced" substances when taken out of their natural context, ie aspirin vs willow bark, cocaine vs coca leaves, or hash oil vs weed. Few extraction methods for plants are without toxic manmade chemicals, and most animal substances like this are synthetically made. It kinda defeats the point of natural medicine, which to me is the fact that God/Allah/Nature made the whole multiverse from quarks to quasars, he/she/it is obviously smarter than a bunch of tiny monkey people on a wet pebble. xD We've been given all the medicine we need as part of our ecosystem, all the substances already in balance for safety and effectiveness, and we should just be grateful for that instead of thinking we're so smart and imbalancing substances by isolating them. I can't imagine taking an isolated chemical naturally occurring in animals is any healthier than than an isolated chemical like cocaine that naturally occurs in plants.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

All good input, thanks. I watch zero TV so obviously don't get regular input from Oz and certainly don't believe everything I read, from him or anyone else. The only experience I have with Oz's pushing some supplement was a while back with (I think it was) white magnolia for sleep. My best friend saw him mention it on TV and we both tried it for our sleep problems. Absolutely nothing. Our crops contain waaayyy less of the beneficial than they did 50 years ago, and as we age (I'm 67) we frequently need more outside input to keep our levels up, so I remain open to supplementing when I think it makes sense to do so, but certainly not enormous doses of things. I knew the "blue man" had overdosed, but why would he purposely take so much silver? I think I'll get some 5-HTP and give it a try.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Explorer

maitaman is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. All results listed are obtained by a simple thing. Get MSG OUT of your diet.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Observer

NatureHackerProducts is on a distinguished road

5-htp is basically serotonin as you know and when you mess with neurotransmitters it is a very fine balance. From personal experience it is much better to get your body on track so it can balance neurotransmitters itself. Taking too much 5htp makes you feel manic so that is how to judge it. It can also create tolerance if you take it every day. It can help many of us with sleep and it is less finicky than melatonin as melatonin is also serotonin based. In order to really move forward vitamins b1,b2,b5,b7 need to be supplemented as well as magbesium and zinc preferably ionic forms.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.