Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Observer

lucy235 is on a distinguished road
Default B12, D3, Mg + Ca question

Hi everyone,

I could really use some help with my supplement intake. For a year I have been taking the following:

B Complex
D3
Mg

I have been a vegetarian for over 15 years and I have recently noticed that levels of B12 are really low in that B complex capsules, therefore I would like to replace those with B12 (1000 g).

At the same time I am also considering replacing D3 with a combo of D3+K2 since I do not want to mess with Ca levels due to higher dosages of B12.

Also, if I understand correctly, D3 should be taken with Mg which also affects Ca levels, therefore I am not sure whether I should keep taking Mg at all or maybe even add Ca? By adding Ca, I am afraid of causing excess amount of Calcium in the body.

I am quite lost to be honest and I would truly appreciate some assistance.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Reader

jaminhealth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaminhealth Send a message via MSN to jaminhealth Send a message via Yahoo to jaminhealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy235 View Post
Hi everyone,

I could really use some help with my supplement intake. For a year I have been taking the following:

B Complex
D3
Mg

I have been a vegetarian for over 15 years and I have recently noticed that levels of B12 are really low in that B complex capsules, therefore I would like to replace those with B12 (1000 g).

At the same time I am also considering replacing D3 with a combo of D3+K2 since I do not want to mess with Ca levels due to higher dosages of B12.

Also, if I understand correctly, D3 should be taken with Mg which also affects Ca levels, therefore I am not sure whether I should keep taking Mg at all or maybe even add Ca? By adding Ca, I am afraid of causing excess amount of Calcium in the body.

I am quite lost to be honest and I would truly appreciate some assistance.

Thanks!
You are smart to take D3/K2 they need to be taken together.

On B12 I'd take 2000mcg of Methyl by Jarrow. It's a lozenge. My levels are good but I take it every day, can't take too much as I've read.

I don't take calcium, but higher doses of magnesium malate or citrate or some with oxide in it for bowel support. I have read too many take too much calcium and it does not even go to the bones. I've been studying the calcium and mag iss for years.

When I got mammograms many yrs ago, calcifications showed up and then that's when I started to research the over dose of calcium. I get no more mamms now anyway.

If your D is low, take 5000 IU's daily, I take that and some days 10K IU's. I'm not a vegetarian and you folks have to be more on top of it all.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:48 AM
Observer

lucy235 is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot!

Calcification is the the thing I was afraid of, not to mention the plethora of other negative side effects, so I guess adding Ca is a no no. I really appreciate your opinion.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:29 AM
Reader

Beach Man has a spectacular aura aboutBeach Man has a spectacular aura about

NatureCity is the name of a company which sells high quality nutritional supplements. They also publish a very interesting and useful monthly newsletter called The NatureCity Journal. The following article, which is right on topic, is from the latest issue, LATE SPRING 2018 - VOLUME 14, ISSUE 4:

"Vitamin D Supplements May Not Help if Magnesium Levels Are Inadequate

Magnesium assists in the activation of vitamin D. A recent study suggests that vitamin D can't be metabolized into its active form without sufficient levels of magnesium.

Researchers from the University of Rwanda and Harvard University conducted the study. It was published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association.

The review found that many people are taking vitamin D supplements, but they are not properly metabolizing the vitamin D due to insufficient magnesium levels.

Additionally, un-metabolized vitamin D supplements can raise phosphate and calcium levels in the blood, while people remain vitamin D deficient.

The recommended daily allowance for magnesium is 420 mg for men and 320 mg for women. A standard diet in the United States only provides approximately 50% of that amount of magnesium.

The researchers estimate that nearly half the US population is magnesium- deficient, largely due to increased consumption of processed foods that are high in fat, refined grains, phosphate, and sugar.

The researchers suggest that taking vitamin D supplements without adequate levels of magnesium may be not useful at best and unsafe at worst.

Consumption of vitamin D supplements can increase a person's calcium and phosphate levels if the vitamin D is not properly absorbed. This can result in vascular calcification if magnesium levels aren't high enough to prevent the complication."

. . . . . .

Also, at the following link, the article entitled, Do You Need More Magnesium? 10 Signs to Watch For, cites a number of things, some of which many people may find surprising, which affect magnesium levels:

https://www.ancient-minerals.com/mag...ncy/need-more/
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.