Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold
Default Diet sodas linked to dementia and stroke

Actually, it is artificial sweeteners causing this problem.

Gulping down an artificially sweetened beverage not only may be associated with health risks for your body, but also possibly your brain, a new study suggests. Artificially sweetened drinks, such as diet sodas, were tied to a higher risk of stroke and dementia in the study, which was published in the American Heart Association's journal Stroke. The researchers analyzed how many sugary beverages and artificially sweetened soft drinks each person in the two different age groups drank, at different time points, between 1991 and 2001. Then, they compared that with how many people suffered stroke or dementia over the next 10 years. Compared to never drinking artificially sweetened soft drinks, those who drank one a day were almost three times as likely to have an ischemic stroke, caused by blocked blood vessels, the researchers found. They also found that those who drank one a day were nearly three times as likely to be diagnosed with dementia. Separate previous studies have shown an association between the intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and adverse health effects, such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart disease, stroke, and possibly even heart failure.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/health...udy/index.html

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Observer

GeneSlimmins is on a distinguished road
Angry Oh.

This is.. alarming. Diet soda's are something both of my parents swear by. I can't count the number of times i've tried to explain that it's not healthy, but even after a stroke my mother won't drop the diet soda. For whatever reason some people think that the sugar is the only thing that can harm you and if that's gone then everything's suddenly healthy.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Observer

neotheone is on a distinguished road

I've heard this for some time. I'm concerned about my wife's consumption of diet soda, not to mention sugary items as well.

I try not to "nag" her, although I am aware that she does conceal some of her sweets consumption....
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.