Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Children's Health

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2010, 05:01 PM
limitme limitme is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 704
limitme will become famous soon enough
Default Goat Milk Hit Piece in Parent's Magazine

There was a hit piece on goats milk in parent's magazine...august 2010 issue


they basically say:

levels of sodium and protein higher than an infant's system can handle

- a buildup of sodium or protein by-products can lead to seizures, even brain damage...

- the milk is low enough in b vitamin folate to cause folate-deficiency anemia

can someone please comment?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Matrix's Avatar
Matrix Matrix is offline
Admin
Wiki Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 974
Matrix has a spectacular aura aboutMatrix has a spectacular aura aboutMatrix has a spectacular aura about
Default

Many thanks for sharing, I'm very interested in this article, can we read it online?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
limitme limitme is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 704
limitme will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Many thanks for sharing, I'm very interested in this article, can we read it online?
I don't know...my wife just brought me the magazine and said "read this article"....

she was so proud of it....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Harry Hirsute's Avatar
Harry Hirsute Harry Hirsute is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Propecia, CA
Posts: 1,839
Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default

Here's a pediatrician's point of view:

http://www.drgreene.com/qa/goat%E2%80%99s-milk

Based on the description, I don't imagine that any of these issues are insurmountable.

Problem: Too much protein or sodium?

Solution: Use portion control.

Problem: Not enough folate?

Solution: Eat other foods that are rich in folic acid and/or supplement with it.

Cow's milk and goat's milk have comparable amounts of protein. Goat's milk is slightly higher in sodium but it's negligible when you compare it to the amount of sodium found in most processed food.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-products/69/2

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rofile&dbid=56

Unless there's more to the story ... there doesn't appear to be much to the story, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
limitme limitme is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 704
limitme will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hirsute View Post
Goat's milk is slightly higher in sodium but it's negligible when you compare it to the amount of sodium found in most processed food.
baby's don't eat processed food, so that comparison is irrelevant.

unless by processed foods you mean formula?

if so, that means you know how much sodium is in each....how much is in each?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
just me just me is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: im lost, have no idea
Posts: 1,176
just me is on a distinguished road
Default

go to weston price, and do a search on goats milk... I believe they have the levels... I did have them, and will try to find them again..... I am curious... if goats milk is so bad for babies... why has it been used in place of breast milk when it wasnt available... before formula was made... Look at the article and see who sponsered the study.... Look at the ingredients for the baby formula... and see how much sodium is in it.... and ask what kind of sodium it is... I mean lets get real... sodium from a goat, its not like the goat added stuff to his milk... its real, its natural... it isnt chemicals... give me a day or two, i will try and find some links that will give you more information.
Just so you know, my granson will be three in october. He has been drinking raw goats milk since he was three months old... He hardly ever gets sick, and for someone with tar syndrome, thats rare!!! The doctors keep telling us that whatever we are doing to make him this healthy, to keep it up...they are impressed!!!! Our pediatrician even thinks the goats milk is the next best thing to breast milk. Oh and no ear aches from him either...which is rare in babies period!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 PM
limitme limitme is offline
Enlightener
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 704
limitme will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just me View Post
go to weston price, and do a search on goats milk... I believe they have the levels... I did have them, and will try to find them again..... I am curious... if goats milk is so bad for babies... why has it been used in place of breast milk when it wasnt available... before formula was made... Look at the article and see who sponsered the study.... Look at the ingredients for the baby formula... and see how much sodium is in it.... and ask what kind of sodium it is... I mean lets get real... sodium from a goat, its not like the goat added stuff to his milk... its real, its natural... it isnt chemicals... give me a day or two, i will try and find some links that will give you more information.
Just so you know, my granson will be three in october. He has been drinking raw goats milk since he was three months old... He hardly ever gets sick, and for someone with tar syndrome, thats rare!!! The doctors keep telling us that whatever we are doing to make him this healthy, to keep it up...they are impressed!!!! Our pediatrician even thinks the goats milk is the next best thing to breast milk. Oh and no ear aches from him either...which is rare in babies period!
i wish my wife could take our baby to your pediatrician....and hear him say that
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 AM
EarlyBird EarlyBird is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Northern Ky.
Posts: 2,058
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I'd drink Goat milk myself if I could get it. I like the taste of goat milk.
I do think it's a healthier milk than cow milk and is evidently more easily
digested than cow milk.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Harry Hirsute's Avatar
Harry Hirsute Harry Hirsute is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Propecia, CA
Posts: 1,839
Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitme View Post
baby's don't eat processed food, so that comparison is irrelevant.

unless by processed foods you mean formula?

if so, that means you know how much sodium is in each....how much is in each?
Infants (up to 2 years of age) often eat processed food - some of which contains naturally occurring sodium. An example.

http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%2...0Age&ProdType=

Please keep serving sizes in mind. This means that many baby foods are higher in sodium than goat's milk. Though formulas are not.

Infant formulas - be they cow's milk, goat's milk or soy-based - are typically similar in terms of macro and micro nutrient levels. Here's an example of one of each.

http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/c..._Nutricia_900g

http://www.iherb.com/Baby-s-Only-Org...0-g/23475?at=0

http://www.parentschoiceformula.com/...gredients.aspx

As you can see, the goat's milk formula actually contains the least sodium of the bunch. This will obviously vary, to some extent, on a brand-by-brand basis.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to Find Coconut Milk? limitme Nutrition 5 08-09-2010 01:23 PM
GOT MILK? pinballdoctor Nutrition 46 01-28-2010 01:23 PM
Milk - A1 and A2 Xania Nutrition 1 03-06-2008 05:06 PM
Skim milk more fattening than whole milk! bifrost99 Exercise & Dieting 2 07-23-2006 02:35 PM
Time Magazine: What Makes a Good Patient? RubyTuesday General Discussions 2 04-24-2006 04:25 PM