Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Cancer

Old 06-01-2015, 02:21 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough
Default Healing Brain Cancer with a Zero Carb Ketogenic Diet by Andrew Scarborough

Healing Brain Cancer with a Zero Carb Ketogenic Diet by Andrew Scarborough
Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

He says:

Quote:
My current diet is 85% fat, 15% protein. I have 70-75 gms of protein per day, and over 200 gms of fat. The only real difference between the recommended Ketogenic diet and what am doing is that I am eating only foods that come from the Animal Kingdom. I do not include any plant foods or the oils derived from plant foods. I am still very careful about my macronutrient ratios (protein/fat), but counting carbohydrates is no longer an issue for me since I eliminated all plant foods. The only beverage I drink is water or bone broth.
Seems like that much protein would not be so good for the kidneys. Doesn't it? Also, very little fiber. That would make me very constipated.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
Seems like that much protein would not be so good for the kidneys. Doesn't it? Also, very little fiber. That would make me very constipated.
Although this chap is avoiding all carbs there are others following a plant based very low carbohydrate ketogenic diet.
This site has a section on Ketogenic Diet Myths that may reassure others
I don't personally aim to be in ketosis all the time but if the alternative were chemo following a cancer diagnosis I'd opt for ketones all day every day.
I think there is a period required for the current carb based gut bacteria to adapt to the new keto regime but I'm sure this can be done and the normal bowel movements would return.
In fact I think having a yearly fast/keto break may help prevent cancer.
It would be my first action if I had any symptoms that made me suspect it could be cancer though obviously I wouldn't delay getting a diagnosis but I'd have pushed up my vitamin D intake and adopted a full bodied ketogenic diet before seeing an oncologist.
I think we should assume as we age that cancer is a possibility and therefore we should have a plan B available to act upon sooner rather than later. I think it's a shame that people are pressured into chemo and no thought is given to diet/nutrition or other complementary or supplementary protocols either before, during or after chemo.
I think the current policy of "Get Chemo or you'll die" is scaremongering and we should try not to be victims of bullying.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Ted. That's a good mythbusting site.

It says:
Quote:
Whenever someone says this, I know they have never read any of the low carb, ketogenic diet books available. They are just parroting what they've heard from someone else. Low carb diets, and especially ketogenic diets, are NOT high protein diets. They are HIGH FAT diets, with moderate protein consumption. And, anyway, if you are healthy with no prior kidney disease, eating extra protein will NOT harm your kidneys.
I get it now. Andrew Scarborough is modifying the diet as he feels it is necessary for him.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Lecturer

The Glucose-Ketone Index Approach to Cancer Therapy – Some Early Insights
Old 06-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Explorer

maitaman is on a distinguished road

Haven't been around for a bit. Two notes: When you take curcumin - turmeric, add some black pepper. Piperine makes absorption 2000 time increased. Be careful on a NO carbohydrate diet to take folic acid. There is a delayed and very negative reaction by the body if completely cut off of folic acid.
For prostate cancer, it is important to consume a lot of DHT blockers or it will return.