Old 04-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Explorer

lostsoul62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM View Post
Lostsoul62, instead of fruit juice in the morning, could you try half a lemon squeezed into a glass of warm water.
Lemon squeezed sounds very good. The only fruit juice is prune juice in the morning for a bowl movement. Right now I'm eating 5 times a day, no solid food, and only 1600 calories and my stomach is better. I am losing weight but that's ok for now. I don't worry about losing too much weight because the body will take care of itself for weight. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and appocing 175 but I'm good until 170 and then I'll worry about my weight. Monday I will have a camera down my throat and then I will know more. So right now I'm coasting until Monday. The next time I go to the store I will get lemons. I started to take 4 oz. of yogurt, to stuff made for the stomach and it seems to be ok.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Lovin' life~

Cookie has a spectacular aura aboutCookie has a spectacular aura about

Good advice BSM! Nice to meet you by the way

Lostsoul,
Sorry, I went to the shore for the weekend since the weather was oohh so great!
Hopefully you'll give us an update & let us know exactly what you're eating in those 5 meals. You're a tall guy so you don't want to lose too much muscle.

Little tip; switch to blueberry kefir instead of the yogurt.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Lovin' life~

A food journal is going to be your most valuable tool. It's time consuming in the beginning, but eventually everything in a lifestyle change becomes second nature.
For instance, my meals are already planned for this week so my grocery list is made & this helps me avoid foods which might slow my metabolism. If it's not in the house, it's easier to avoid.

One very important thing to know is the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber and how they affect bloating.

Quote:
Foods rich in fiber contain either soluble or insoluble fiber. Foods that contain soluble fiber, such as oat bran, peas and fruits are not broken down until they reach the large intestine, where they are broken down by bacteria and cause gas. Broccoli and cauliflower are other common culprits. Foods that contain insoluble fiber, such as wheat bran, pass through the intestines without significant digestion and therefore are not broken down by gas-producing bacteria.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/31...-and-bloating/

There is other good info on that ^ link's page as well.

Here's more on soluble/insoluble fiber:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...soluble-fiber/
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Explorer

lostsoul62 is on a distinguished road

I went to the doctors and had the camera stuck down my throat yesterday and they found redness in my stomach and they took a biopsy and I will get the meds this week because it's the Phoenix VA and 2+ weeks for the results of the biopsy which I feel will come out as some kind of infection. So I'm going to eat 5 times a day at 300 calories per meal and I will lose weight using soft foods without the yogurt which constipates me. I’m allowing 1750 calories a day for now and if my weight gets too low I can always add a couple of calories to the meals but this seems to work for me and I will not be eating any beans or dairy product. I will keep a diary of what I eat and how I feel because this is something I’m good at. I have a 17 year diary for every day. Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Lovin' life~

You have redness. Ouu.

Since you haven't had pain, hopefully whatever it is will be nipped in the bud

Avoid caffeine (coffee & soda), alcohol, smoking, ibuprofen/asperine, and spices til you get your results. Best of luck, let us know what happens!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Guide

larryberry is on a distinguished road

Do digestive bitters all taste bad? I went and got a liquid one where it says to mix one teaspon in water or tea. It taste really awfull, not sure if this is how they all are?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:58 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus View Post
Do digestive bitters all taste bad? I went and got a liquid one where it says to mix one teaspon in water or tea. It taste really awfull, not sure if this is how they all are?
Of course. They are bitter. Most people don't like bitter. You only need enough for the back of the tongue to taste it. Bitter receptors are on the back of the tongue. Most of the bitter liquids say to take a dropper full directly on the tongue. You only need a half dropper, which will stimulate the vagus nerve. That will be the greatest benefit to many different functions in the body.

Swallowing the bitter is not the purpose for digestion. So, I don't understand why they want you to put it in water. That even dilutes it. If you are just going to dilute and swallow it, you might as well just drink coffee, which is bitter.

My favorite is andrographis which you can get in a tablet. It is the king of the bitters, and believe me, it sure is. I will put one in my mouth for a minute before swallowing. It has a long list of incredible benefits and best known for shortening the length of a cold or flu. http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_andrographis.htm and http://bouldernaturallabs.com/health...lata-herb.html

I get mine here http://www.iherb.com/Planetary-Herba...lets/1530?at=0

Never the less, digestive bitters are mostly liquids, taste very bad, and swallowing immediately or diluting defeats the purpose. You've got to stimulate that vagus nerve.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Guide

larryberry is on a distinguished road

Thanks jfh I am going to give those ones a try.

Tags
bitters, bloating, digestive, gas
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.