Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Systems & Organs

Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold
Default hemorrhoidectomy

Oh no! Poo-Poo! Or maybe due to not being able to be normal for decades. Even when trying various diets for decades, I've not had normal bowel movements. The past 5 years, since I learned I have internal hemorrhoids, I've been able to keep my BMs soft, not loose, nearly all the time. But last week something happened to give me constipation. I did not realize it until I was committed during a BM and absolutely had to let it pass. Know the feeling? Two days later, hemorrhoids prolapsed with bleeding and pus for several days. No choice but to take the mainstream med direction.

I considered it structural in this case. Couldn't sit. Could not stand in one position for more than a few minutes. Had to get some pantie pads. At first, I could not drive for 2 days, so I cut up some plastic grocery bags to line my briefs (I'm a boxer person) and put a paper towel back there to absorb blood. Felt like I was menstruating. Blood in bed by morning. So, I slept on a plastic garbage bag with a towel on top of it.

So Tuesday, hemorrhoidectomy. The full incision thing including IV dope. Dang! I'm not worried about the surgery. I'm worried about transportation. I had to ask a friend to take me and another to pick me up. 20 miles away, but 50 minute drive. I hate that. There are no taxis in my town, and the facility won't release me to a taxi anyway. I was just going to get a hotel room. The doctor said no way would I want to drive the next morning. I just hate to ask people to do things for me. I feel that I have certainly paid forward for helpful favors though. Not to these friends though. I'm a worry wart, so that makes it harder for me.

The first thing the facility will panic for is my BP at about 140/90. But when I'm anxious, it's more like 160/something. They don't like that. I don't care. When these bleeding hemorrhoids are gone, I'll be able to take things to help my blood pressure, like niacin and nattokinase and other blood thinners. I've got to get more motivated to exercise more too.

Even though this is not an age related disease, I feel like it is.

I'm told, by sister and friends, that the first bowel movement will have me praying for death. Maybe I'll just live off of broth for a few days. My luck, with my decades old constipation problem, will have me afraid to go at all. Someone will have to chisel it out. For sure, I'll live off of stool softeners for a few days after. I hope they won't complicate things.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I wish you the best with your surgery jfh. I hope you get relief and can be comfortable again. I have the same problem, if I either get constipated or have diarrhea, my internals/externals will act up and start to bleed, etc. Not too often, thankfully, but I'll have to do the panty liner thing, etc.

For me personally, I'm just going to live with the problem and make the best of it. A long time ago, my mother had the operation and it didn't work well for her, but in those days, they probably weren't as knowledgeable about the procedure as they are today. She was miserable afterwards, lots of pain and problems. One of the things they did was they made the anal opening too small when they sewed her up...not a good thing.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Mine have been easily managed for the last 5 years too. When I defecated, they would prolapse, and I would just push them back in. That required patting and blotting with paper and baby wipes to finish. I was just taking herbs, such as horse chestnut, white oak bark, serrapeptase, and tons of other things on the market ($$) that people rip us off for. But I was happily managing them. Occasional bleeding. There are so many myths out there. Even the mainstream doctors say more fiber, more water, more exercise. I must be a special case. Well I really must be if I have such a tough time controlling constipation. The few times I had loose stools were a blessing. That's when I took MMS and when I overdid the vitamin C or magnesium.

So, like your mother, more will probably creep up. Until I find out what is causing this constipation. I've had the problem since I was about 7. Nearly 6 decades ago.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Guide
Wiki Editor

Marilyn27 will become famous soon enough

No wise words, just wish you all the best on the surgery!

Maybe invest in an inflatable donut for sitting on??
Old 02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
When I defecated, they would prolapse, and I would just push them back in. Even the mainstream doctors say more fiber, more water, more exercise. I must be a special case. Well I really must be if I have such a tough time controlling constipation.
So, like your mother, more will probably creep up. Until I find out what is causing this constipation. I've had the problem since I was about 7. Nearly 6 decades ago.
One thing I never did was push them back in, if they went back on their own, I was happy. I'm to the point where I'm taking a metamucil type product everyday, usually before bed. Every now and then, I'll take a cascara sagrada capsule to get things moving better. I'm in my late 50's, so I'm hoping they won't get any worse than they are already. Having constipation issues since the age of seven sounds very intense, I feel for you.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

Good luck jfh
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Standing at the Portal

Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

I have seen the most severe cases of hemorrhoids cure with homeoapthy.. too late in this case. Wish you well. My mom had this long ago. It heals and you get on with your life.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

Good luck with the surgery, Jim. Hope it works for you.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 AM
perpetual student

Thanks y'all.

I'm not worried. As I said, I'm more worried about imposing upon friends. Though I do worry needlessly about nearly everything, so that is not going away. I always said that I want to be a hermit when I grow up, but that dream is not to happen. My next hope is that I don't depend upon the pharmaceutical industry like so many elderly people. I've been working on that one for a very long time, and so far successfully.

At least maybe I won't have to spend so much money on hemorrhoid related things other than to continue to prevent further complications. I must do something about this sedentary lifestyle. That's most likely the cause of my health problems. I remember dreading recess at elementary school. Then my 40 year career, with computers, kept me behind a desk and with high stress. I'll make a resolution to work on that. Later.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Explorer

mindmt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mindmt
Unhappy

Jim

Speedy recovery...

While you're convalescing, I urge you to read either "Absolute Truth Exposed" or "The Fibre Menace" - or both.

These books expose the damn lies about fibre and bowel health.

ZERO fibre heals - all fibre, "soluble" or otherwise, damages the colon etc etc

Again best wishes - do hope it wasn't the isometrics!
(Just kidding - I am quite sure not)
Bill
Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM
perpetual student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmt View Post

ZERO fibre heals - all fibre, "soluble" or otherwise, damages the colon etc etc
Bill
Oh dear me. I have been most dependent upon fiber being my best hope. That's what the doctors always say. More fiber. More water. Of course, that's what they say about constipation. I can testify that constipation has nothing to do with water. I drink more than 3 quarts per day. My kidneys are tired. My bowels laugh at me.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 AM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

hey, on a side note. Your retired? I would suggest travel, especially check out costa rica.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Admin
Wiki Editor

Matrix has a spectacular aura aboutMatrix has a spectacular aura aboutMatrix has a spectacular aura about

Hope it goes well for you, Jim.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Lecturer

Mad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura about

This can be a real pain in the butt. So just hang in there it will all work out in the end.

You might try mediation, perhaps chanting some kind of a prune mantra.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Lecturer

EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Good luck, Jim, with your surgery. I've had the same long term problem with constipation - since early childhood.
As someone mentioned above, you might want to consider an inflatable ring to sit on. I think they may
be sold at drug stores like Walgreen or CVS. I used one after my fat headed son was born ...stitches galore!
They really do help.