Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Observer

Shady is on a distinguished road
Default Are there foods to avoid when dieting?

Hello, I'm New here.
I hope to help you.

Foods You Must Avoid

Well, believe it or not, the answer is... no.

Technically there are no particular foods that you HAVE to avoid to reach your body composition goals.

It is all about calorie and macronutrient intake, and calories in vs calories out while meeting your macronutrient requirements of protein, carbs & fats.

200 calories from a sugar donut is actually no more fattening than 200 calories from oats when it comes to calorie intake for bodybuilding.

In order to lose weight/fat, you must consume less than your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

This is also known as your "maintenance calories".
If you consume more than your TDEE you will gain weight.
Everyone has a different TDEE and this depends on many factors such as your height, weight, age, gender and daily activity levels.
TDEE is not actually a static number either so this will change on a day to day basis.

Working out your average estimated TDEE is important.
For example, letís assume that your TDEE was 2500 calories, in order to maintain your current physique you would want to consume around 2500 calories.
In order to bulk up you would want to consume 3000 calories (+500) and in order to cut down you would want to consume 2000 (-500).
The food you consume contains macronutrients which is your protein, carbohydrates, and fats.
There are 4 calories per 1g of protein and 4 calories per 1g of carbohydrate and 9 calories per 1g of fat.

Please let me know your opinion, Thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 07:29 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I think carbs should be avoided like breads, potatoes, white rice, pasta, etc. I lost more weight faster by cutting down on carbs, not even cutting them out completely, than I ever did counting calories.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Observer

Louis Adams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
I think carbs should be avoided like breads, potatoes, white rice, pasta, etc. I lost more weight faster by cutting down on carbs, not even cutting them out completely, than I ever did counting calories.
This is so true
Old 10-31-2017, 03:43 AM
Observer

jinni73 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoman View Post
I know for sure that it is better to avoid nuts, they do contain good fats, but they are not easy food for digestion and don't help to lose weight either.
the very reason they are hard to digest means they are one of the best foods to use for losing weight your body has to work far harder in order to breakdown the nut speeding up your metabolism.

and to the original poster in using the analogy between sugar and oats is disputable maybe body builders would find it easier to remove the toxins through their extra exercise but you are essentially wasting your time on having to remove the toxins in the first place

the metabolites left from the breakdown of the sugar are very toxic to the body
the lack of fibre in sugar allows the liver to uptake the fructose whereas the fibre in the oats binds to the fructose and takes it straight out of the body meaning less work for the body to do allowing it better use of the nutrients available in a real food against a fake food

also it is a little known fact that eating carbs compared to fruit or vegetables leads to way less energy overall when tested by various sports teams but maybe people want to believe the marketting divisions of multi billion dollar corporations rather then physically trying it themselves
Old 10-31-2017, 05:10 PM
Observer

goatsncows is on a distinguished road

I don't think I could disagree more than I do with the opener of this thread :'Dk
Old 10-31-2017, 06:45 PM
Reader

Beach Man will become famous soon enoughBeach Man will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatsncows View Post
I don't think I could disagree more than I do with the opener of this thread :'Dk
For clarity, please provide a translation of "'Dk".
Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Observer

goatsncows is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Man View Post
For clarity, please provide a translation of "'Dk".
:'D translates to 'I'm laughing so hard I'm crying'
k translates to 'sticky k key on my laptop'
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.