Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > General Discussions

Old 07-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about
Default YIKES! Glyphosphate in Ben&Jerry's Ice Cream!

Ben and Jerry's faces boycott threats after a new study uncovers a major ingredient in weedkillers in ice cream

Business Insider
KATE TAYLOR
Jul 25th 2017 7:59PM

Ben & Jerry's a brand famous for its quality and eco-friendly practices is under fire after a test uncovered a controversial ingredient in its ice cream.

The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) found glyphosate, the main ingredient in weedkillers like Roundup, in 10 out of 11 samples of the company's ice cream flavors, the New York Times reported on Tuesday.

While the levels of glyphosate were well below the legal limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Organic Consumers Association argues that any presence of the pesticide product is misleading and potentially dangerous.

"It's time for Ben & Jerry's to announce it will immediately begin transitioning to 100-percent organic," using zero pesticides in production, the OCA said in a post on its website. "Otherwise conscious consumers have no choice but to launch a national and, if necessary, international protest campaign and boycott."

The OCA has called for Ben & Jerry's to stop labeling its ice creams as "natural" because the brand's dairy cows consume genetically-engineered corn (the brand told the Times that it is working to find all-natural alternatives). Add-ins, such as peanut butter or cookie dough, containing ingredients that have been sprayed with the weedkiller may also be the source of the glyphosate in the ice creams, according to the Times.

The question of if glyphosate is dangerous to consume is still hotly debated. While the World Health Organization said in 2015 that the weed killer was "probably carcinogenic," Reuters reported in June that scientific data may not fully back that claim.

Despite the continued debate, many customers simply do not want to have a herbicide ingredient in their food. Soon after the Times published its article on the OCA's ice cream test, the brand began receiving complaints and boycott threats on social media.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:29 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Wow, glad it's been years since I had any and never bought it very often.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

The only reason corn is genetically engineered is so that Monsanto Roundup (glyphosate) can be sprayed to kill the weeds without affecting the corn. This is true with soybeans, and I think also wheat. I think wheat is engineered against wheat rust.
We can't get away from the stuff. I really don't think genetic manipulation is a problem for humans. I think the danger is the need for the engineering in the first place.

So many things have been happening to humans due to pesticides and herbicides. It's like we can't live without them and we can't live with them.

I just read an article which indicated that the sperm count of western men is plummeting over the last 40 years. The article indicated that previous studies, including his own, show that exposure in utero to endocrine disrupting chemicals can harm male reproductive system development and fertility potential. Commonly used chemicals, including pesticides, lead and fire retardants, can increase or decrease production of certain hormones within our bodies and so are said to disrupt our endocrine, or hormone-making, system. I think the hormone disrupters also contribute to the increase in erectile disfunction too.

I'm glad I've mostly lived a healthy life, but it sure is hard to get away from these chemicals.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 07-26-2017, 08:11 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I just know that all these chemicals they're bombarding us with are the reason for all the cancers, Alzheimer's, etc., etc.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Reader

larryz has a spectacular aura aboutlarryz has a spectacular aura about

Since selling to Unilever, B&J's quality is just horrible.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 AM
In seaerch of spicy food

saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

They tested like 20 California wines and every single one tested had traces of glyphosphate. It has now been proven to increase the incidence of non hodgkins lymphoma
Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Frater Aegagrus

Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
This is true with soybeans, and I think also wheat. I think wheat is engineered against wheat rust.
Roundup kills the GMO wheat stalks. It aids in the ease of harvest by having a dry, brittle stalk rather that a green tough stalk.

Yes, wheat is doused in glycophosphate just prior to harvest. Bon Appetit!
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.