Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Observer

Photon Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Himalayan Salt Lamps

Anybody use Himalayan salt lamps? I've got a small to moderate collection. I really like the big ones and I've thought about the idea of having my entire house lighted with just salt lamps. Supposedly they give off negative ions which are supposed to be really beneficial and which offset the harmful positive ions given off by machines such as televisions, phones, and computers. I really like the color and the light they give off and they're just nice to have around.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:53 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I've given one as a gift to my nephew and he liked it very much. I also like the appearance, but never owned one myself so I don't know the benefits, but I don't doubt there are some.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:29 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

I have one. I put an LED bulb in it and keep it on 24 hours everyday. Makes a nice night light. I like the pink ambient light. But for it to work as an ionizer, it has to have a hotter bulb. Even hotter than the 7w that's used in regular night lights. GE makes a 10W bulb for that purpose.

You will know it is ionizing, when you see black smoke like soot on the nearby wall. Easy to wipe off, but not very pretty. Ions seem to make dust heavy. The heat repels this dust, which attaches to things around it.

But for a really nice ambient light, I just can't beat it.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 09-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
I have one. I put an LED bulb in it and keep it on 24 hours everyday. Makes a nice night light. I like the pink ambient light. But for it to work as an ionizer, it has to have a hotter bulb. Even hotter than the 7w that's used in regular night lights. GE makes a 10W bulb for that purpose.

You will know it is ionizing, when you see black smoke like soot on the nearby wall. Easy to wipe off, but not very pretty. Ions seem to make dust heavy. The heat repels this dust, which attaches to things around it.

But for a really nice ambient light, I just can't beat it.
I don't use bulbs that have below 15w for any of my salt lamps, even for the small 5 pound lamps. For my larger lamps which are around 20 pounds I use 25 watt bulbs. I've also got a 40 pound lamp and my largest lamps are around 50 to 60 pounds. For all of those lamps I use 60 watt bulbs. You want the lamp to be warm to the touch, if it isn't than you need a bulb with more wattage.

As for the black soot that results from ionization, how close to the wall should the lamp be for this to take place and how long before you get that effect? I've never heard of this but it sounds like a good method for testing out the ionization of the lamps.

Also, might I ask where you get your lamps? Most of my lamps I get at Spiritual Quest although I do get some lamps and accessories at himalayansaltshop.com and himalayansaltlamps.com
Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
As for the black soot that results from ionization, how close to the wall should the lamp be for this to take place and how long before you get that effect? I've never heard of this but it sounds like a good method for testing out the ionization of the lamps.

Also, might I ask where you get your lamps? Most of my lamps I get at Spiritual Quest although I do get some lamps and accessories at himalayansaltshop.com and himalayansaltlamps.com
Sorry, I bought my one lamp a few years ago. I don't remember where.

You will discover this black dusting reaction when the lamp is less than 6 inches from the wall for about a month. I find it is nothing to worry about. An easy damp wipe will fix it. I once had an ionizer that constantly made my floor and the shelf dusty within a week. So, the lamp is only a mild ionizer.

I cannot fit wide bulbs into the bottom of mine. So, the highest I can find is 10w candelabra type bulb.

Did you know that the pink color of himalayan salt is from the element, copper?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I have a negative ionizer that I don't use anymore, and it did attract the dust to the wall and the table it was on, I was always having to wipe it down and change the paper it sat on, but didn't mind.

The salt lamp I bought was from my local Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage, it was shaped like a little elephant.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
I cannot fit wide bulbs into the bottom of mine. So, the highest I can find is 10w candelabra type bulb.
You might want to check this out.

https://himalayansaltshop.com/salt-lamp-cords.html

The bulbs are small and skinny and they come in 15w and 25w so they might work for you.

Also this.

https://www.spiritualquest.com/salt-...s-c-37_24.html

And this.

http://www.himalayassaltlamps.com/sp...salt-lamps-15w
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.