Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Olive Oil SCAMS, Be Wary of What You Buy!

Information about olive oil scams, I've been buying Olive Oil from Costco for awhile now, both regular and organic. Hoping it's a quality product. Info and videos here. http://healthimpactnews.com/2016/oli...ive-oil-scams/

Quote:
Itís likely that many Americans who have been buying olive oil for decades have never tasted the real thing. In fact, itís likely that many of those who bought and used fake or compromised olive oils would reject the real thing because it tastes odd to them.

Olive racketeering has been going on for quite a while to some extent. The Romans of B.C. ages had to clamp down on it.
But it is bigger and more sophisticated now than ever. Genuine olive oil is time consuming to produce and demands higher prices than most other edible oils. Yet olive oil is easy to adulterate and sell as the real thing.
Why is this important? It is the centerpiece of the Mediterranean Diet. Its monounsaturated oleic and palmitic fatty acids along with its healthy polyphenols are very heart healthy. Additionally, according to the Alliance for Natural Health (ANH):
Being able to buy authentic extra virgin olive oil is all the more important because it is a superfood. Among other good things, it contains a miracle ingredient known as oleuropein, which has anticancer, pro-mitochondrial, antibiotic, and anti-Alzheimerís properties. It also contains polyphenols and antioxidants with anti-inflammatory benefits. It is a mainstay of the ketogenic diet.
Some claim that since olive oil scam exposures the olive oil industry has cleaned its act somewhat. After explaining how olive oil frauds work and their recent history, there will be information provided of what makes a perfect olive oil and how you can determine if it is truly as advertised
Old 12-07-2016, 07:33 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

It's interesting that the article says that both olive and coconut are the best for cooking at higher temps. I always thought that olive was too fragile.

I heard, a few years ago, that olive oil contained a lot of canola oil. Palm oil is extremely popular throughout all of Asia. So much so, that forests are being removed and replaced with palm trees. Canola is popular everywhere else. Now that France has completely banned genetically modified crops, French canola might be worth looking into.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched ó they must be felt with the heart." ó Helen Keller
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

It's a shame there's so much deception in the marketplace, people are driven by greed for the most part. I also thought high temps were not good with olive or coconut, sometimes we'll fry a thick rib-eye steak, and will use butter. I bought some ghee for this years ago, but we prefer the butter.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:34 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
I also thought high temps were not good with olive or coconut, sometimes we'll fry a thick rib-eye steak, and will use butter. I bought some ghee for this years ago, but we prefer the butter.
Well, what is mean is that coconut oil has a higher temp burn rate. I thought olive oil had a much lower burn rate. Butter definitely will burn at a lower temp.

I love to mix butter with either olive or coconut, especially for the flavor. Butter is very good for you too. It is great for the healing of the intestinal tract. Butter has butyric acid.

Now I wish I could find ghee. I know it can be made at home, but that never worked for me.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

I sometimes mix light olive oil and the original non-GMO Smart Balance spread on my hot steamed vegetables. I bought my ghee a long time ago at Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:35 AM
perpetual student

I shop at Natural Grocers a lot. I'll check to see if it is there. I also shop at Sprout's Farmer's Market. I always thought I could only find it at an Indian market. I'll start looking.

Ghee has a lot of health benefits. This page also shows that it has a high smoke point. and notice that olive oil really is fragile in heat. https://draxe.com/ghee-benefits/ But I also notice that butter and coconut oil are not as high as I thought.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Observer

jinni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
It's interesting that the article says that both olive and coconut are the best for cooking at higher temps. I always thought that olive was too fragile.

I heard, a few years ago, that olive oil contained a lot of canola oil. Palm oil is extremely popular throughout all of Asia. So much so, that forests are being removed and replaced with palm trees. Canola is popular everywhere else. Now that France has completely banned genetically modified crops, French canola might be worth looking into.
canola turns carcinogenic at 117f do not touch it. use pure water to replace the oils
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Observer

GeneSlimmins is on a distinguished road
Default Yikes

As an avid consumer of fancy and infused olive oils this worries me. Any idea how you are able to tell the source of an olive oil ?
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.