Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > General Discussions

Old 08-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Explorer

uniden is on a distinguished road

What do the 25 and the D mean in 25(OH)D? I think I know what the D stands for. Dextro?

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 08-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniden View Post
What do the 25 and the D mean in 25(OH)D? I think I know what the D stands for. Dextro?
25(OH)D is the storage form of vitamin d3.
When UVB from sunshine or tanning lamps penetrates the skin surface the cholesterol molecules (7 dehydrocholesterol) are converted to cholecalciferol, This is the basic form of vitamin d3 and has a half life of just 24 hours.
most of this cholecalciferol will be hydroxylated to 25(OH)D also called calcidiol and that has a half -life of around 15 days. That form is then converted to the hormonal form calcitriol which is used straight away and has a half life of about 16 hours.
The cholecalciferol form is far more important than was previously thought. There are cells throughout the body from the oral cavity through to the colon that can take the basic cholecalciferol form and convert it to the active hormonal form. So the anti cancer actions of vitamin d3 may be starting from the moment the cholecalciferol is created or the supplement enters the mouth.
This is why it's so important to take vitamin d3 every day and not weekly and only use the natural form made in skin Cholecalciferol, not ergocalciferol vitamin d2.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.