Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Enlightener

u&iraok will become famous soon enough
Default Probiotic 'side effects'

I thought this was a good article on what you may experience when taking probiotics and the reasons why.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2016/08...eactions-list/
Old 03-24-2017, 07:40 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. This is something which people do not expect. I have a friend who can't take probiotic supplements, but can get probiotics from fermented food, like homemade sauerkraut. Sometimes, I have a problem with taking too much. I think what happens is that they accumulate in the small intestines, instead of moving on to the large intestines where they are needed.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 03-26-2017, 07:20 AM
Enlightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
Thanks. This is something which people do not expect. I have a friend who can't take probiotic supplements, but can get probiotics from fermented food, like homemade sauerkraut. Sometimes, I have a problem with taking too much. I think what happens is that they accumulate in the small intestines, instead of moving on to the large intestines where they are needed.
There's still a lot of unknowns. Having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome I don't do well on acidophilus which is in most formulations.

Interesting about the idea of them not moving on to the large intestine.

Usually, the 'side effects' are a die-off reaction and you have to see it through but you have to be careful in case that's not what it is.

Right now I'm taking one that is making me feel really yukky--chills, dizziness, headaches, tiredness, weakness, gas, lots of bowel movements, general yukkiness. I even had about a half a day when I was feeling negative, irritable, really out of sorts. But I take that to mean it's working. I've taken this one before and had the same reaction and after about two weeks I felt really good.

I'm taking it every other day to lessen the bad effects somewhat.

I probably didn't pick the best time to start on it since the pollen is really bad so I'm overloading my system by making it deal with pollen and die-off but I wanted to feel better for spring and summer.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Lecturer

pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough

Whoever wrote that blog is nuts. Probiotics relieve indigestion, bloating, the runs, and they don't push out other good bacteria. In fact, probiotics push out fungus that occupy both small and large intestines. A good probiotic contains several strains of friendly flora, some L and some B. The L is for the little (small) intestine and the B is for the big (large) intestine. The capsules are coated so they don't open until they reach the intestines where they are needed.
Probiotics are good, not bad like some people would have you believe. Any doctor who prescribes antibiotics without prescribing probiotics should go to jail... But then doctors live on average 57 years, so why should you listen to them if you want to live to 100 in good health?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Enlightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdoctor View Post
Whoever wrote that blog is nuts. Probiotics relieve indigestion, bloating, the runs, and they don't push out other good bacteria. In fact, probiotics push out fungus that occupy both small and large intestines. A good probiotic contains several strains of friendly flora, some L and some B. The L is for the little (small) intestine and the B is for the big (large) intestine. The capsules are coated so they don't open until they reach the intestines where they are needed.
Probiotics are good, not bad like some people would have you believe. Any doctor who prescribes antibiotics without prescribing probiotics should go to jail... But then doctors live on average 57 years, so why should you listen to them if you want to live to 100 in good health?
I like the blog because I'm thinking that the person who wrote it was trying to appeal to skeptics--the blog writer treds lightly and with subtlety gets across the point that probiotics are good and while they could be dangerous, don't assume that 'side effects' are a sign that something bad is happening, but that actually something good is happening.

Do you have any information on probiotics pushing out fungus? This is interesting.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:40 AM
Lecturer

pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough

It is basic physics, two objects cannot occupy the same space. As the friendly flora increase, the fungus is overpowered. This also works in reverse...as the good bacteria decreases the fungus takes over. This is the reason why people need to take in fermented foods on a daily basis. Most people take in too much sugar, and it is sugar that feeds fungus...thus the vicious cycle continues.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Enlightener

Actually I was wondering if you had any facts on it. I had read a while back that tests show that unless the fungus is greatly reduced it will actually overpower the probiotics, not the other way around. But this was a while ago so I was wondering there was any new information.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Lecturer

New information? Scientists are still arguing over vitamin C, and most doctors don't have a clue about fungus... or probiotics. People seem to be more interested in what makes whales jump and what Mikey Cyrus is wearing..
Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Observer

lilyik9 is on a distinguished road

I think that so.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.