Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 08-06-2016, 05:38 AM
Reader

Audi will become famous soon enoughAudi will become famous soon enough
Default Adverse reaction to vitamin k2

I hear a lot about vitamin k2 being the new best treatment for osteoporosis along with calcium etc, and have tried it but had a bad reaction to both mk4 and mk7. It felt like they were leaching my bones and weakened me so much so it was frightening.

Why? when everyone else is praising k2 benefits on bones,teeth etc I searched the internet and found only one other person who had the same reaction as I but couldn't explain why.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

My husband and I have been taking MK-7 for years now Audi, with no negative effects. How long did you take it, are you sure it was the K-2 giving you those symptoms? I'm in my 60s and doing okay taking this among my other supplements.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Reader

It's definatley the k2,for a long time I took k2 on and off, first with mk4 I cut the tablets in quarters and slowly built up to a whole one, as I progressed I felt worse and worse so discontinued. Then tried again a few months later with same results.

I also tried mk7, again slowly building up to a whole tab with the same negative results. I have since found out that some people can be allergic to k2, guess I am one of those.

The scary thing for me now is that the calcium complex I have been taking for years,for my osteoporosis has now been added mk7 , I will have to find another good source of calcium.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Reader

Beach Man will become famous soon enoughBeach Man will become famous soon enough

The first thing to do is to try a different brand, as the problem you are experiencing may not be due to the K2 but rather due to a binder, filler, or one of the other ingredients in the softgel or tablet. LifeExtension provides excellent quality supplements as well as an excellent and informative monthly magazine. However, their products are available from several different sites on the internet. Their Super K with Advanced K2 Complex is an alternative K2 supplement that you might want to consider:

http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamin...ced-k2-complex
Old 08-06-2016, 06:42 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I don't take calcium any more in my old age, excess calcium in the arteries can lead to a major stroke, which happened to my father in law after taking oyster shell calcium for years.

I'd rather have weak bones than clogged arteries if that's my choice, and that's the way I see it. I think I get enough calcium in my diet and daily multi to cover my needs.

The MK-7 I'm currently using is NOW brand. The ingredients are:

Vitamin C from Ascorbyl Palmitate
K-2 from non-GMO Natto

Other ingredients:

Rice flour
Cellulose (capsule)
contains Soy (non-GMO)
Old 08-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Reader

I have tried several different brands of k2, including the mentioned super k I really wanted it to work for me so I persevered on and off for years always but always had adverse side effects, I think I am allergic to phytonadione (the active ingredient contained in Vitamin K)

I just have to listen to my body and accept that k2 is not for me,what has worked for me is the calcium supplement I take is Hydroxylapatite, with co-nutrients magnesium,manganese,zinc,horsetail(silica),D3 and k1 and then only 500mg per day this is perfectly safe, that is until they changed the k1 to k7.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Explorer

Samia is on a distinguished road

I have heard that Dr Christopher's "Tissue & Bone Repair" formula, and also his "Herbal Calcium Formula" are pretty good, which I would take with the co nutrients you mention. I don't particularly like taking plain Calcium supps and feel that maybe herbs would be better, so I am going to start those 2 formulas as soon as I can get them.

I wonder if Vitamin K2 - as a supplement in pill form - may be overhyped. How come our ancestors weren't falling over from Calcium that has been deposited in parts of the body where it should not be? Maybe there's more to the story. Maybe a high sugar, high red meat, high chemical additive, high drug diet creates a huge requirement for K2? I dunno.

Someone discovered that natto (Japanese traditional food) has huge qty of K-2 then decided to run with it by concentrating it into a pill and marketing like crazy.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Lecturer

pinballdoctor will become famous soon enoughpinballdoctor will become famous soon enough

K2 is responsible for steering vitamin D to where it should go, to the teeth and bones, and it is also responsible for removing it from where it should not go, such as in arteries and soft tissue. People who have blocked arteries are deficient in K2. D should always be taken with natural vitamin A (fish oil) and at least 100mcg of K2.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.